Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For anyone wanting to get a pet passport it is worth ringing round vets to see what they charge as it can differ quite a bit - you don't have to use your OWN vet for this.

The dog must have a microchip - this can be done anywhere and anytime before you want the passport (it can vary a lot at vets), some animal rescue centres do it cheaply.

The dog has to have the single rabies jab - this can be 1, 2 or 3 year - always ask for the 3 year one as this will save you money, we only had one occasion when we had to have a 2 year one as there was a shortage of 3 year vaccine at the time.

Once jabbed you can leave the UK whenever you like but cannot return until 21 days (or more) have passed.

You have to visit a vet between 24 and 120 hours before your return crossing DEPARTURE time (ie when it leaves France), NOT when it lands in the UK as the checks are carried out at the UK border control in France. The vet must give the worming treatment (either swallowed tablet, chewy tablet or injection) and stamp, sign, enter the date and TIME of the visit on - sometimes they forget to put the time on but it is VERY important to be done. You can take your own tablets if you wish but they will be cheaper in France from the vet - we always insist on one that treats for heart worm.

At the port/Eurotunnel you go to the pet check-in first and get your paperwork checked over on the SAME DAY* you are travelling back to the UK, then just get on board. (* Some Eurotunnel staff used to do it the day before but this apparently is NOT permitted ... even though some weren't bothered ... so not worth trying this any more ... we found out the hard way!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The dog must have a microchip - this can be done anywhere and anytime before you want the passport (it can vary a lot at vets), some animal rescue centres do it cheaply.

Breeders are starting to get puppies chipped before they let them go now. I believe that this is going to become compulsory at some point this year.

The vet must give the worming treatment (either swallowed tablet, chewy tablet or injection) and stamp, sign, enter the date and TIME of the visit on - sometimes they forget to put the time on but it is VERY important to be done

This is vital. When you check in at the tunnel or the ferry or whatever they will check down to the hour. If you are outside that 24 - 120 hour window, even by 15 minutes, they won't let you travel. I've see this happen to people more than once at the tunnel.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
A word of caution - don't leave it too late to get your passport. What should be a relatively simple procedure can turn into an administrative nightmare, if your vet is not familiar with the process - and hasn't read the instructions!
Have spoken to DEFRA again, today about the 'new' passport issued by my vet - and she's got it wrong again. As the errors which she has made have been laminated over, it can't be amended - so she's going to have to complete a 3rd passport! I have an appointment for 9.30am tomorrow.
This is just the sort of hassle I can do without!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've still got the old style passport & the vet just laminated over the info last year.Then all the rabies/boosters/are added each year. The worming one , which we have to have done every 3 months anyway is only added to the passport when the dog travels They then plastic cover each entry. Each time the passport is filled in /updated then another plastic covering goes over it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What about coming home. Do you guys bother about the dog getting treated for tapeworm? I know a lot of people dont bother but do they check? I will be using P&O Hull to Zeebrugge crossing. I have asked my friend in Holland to ask his vet what they charge as i understand it can be done up to 5 days before returning.

The tapeworm treatment is vital as the particularly nasty worm that mainland Europe has and we don't can do immense damage, not just to dogs but to humans too, and they do check. We have paid as little as €7 and as much as €40. As someone else has said, the further away from the ports the cheaper it is. It must be given no less than 24 hours before entering UK and no more than 60 hours. We have had vets offering to change the dates, which is highly reprehensible.

Quotes from Wikipaedia;
'People infected with E. multilocularis may be asymptomatic for many years. Following the asymptomatic period of this disease, common symptoms are headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain. Jaundice is rare,[1] but hepatomegaly is a common physical finding.'

'If no specific therapy is initiated, in 94% of patients the disease is fatal within 10–20 years following diagnosis.'[

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The tapeworm treatment is vital as the particularly nasty worm that mainland Europe has and we don't can do immense damage, not just to dogs but to humans too, and they do check. We have paid as little as €7 and as much as €40. As someone else has said, the further away from the ports the cheaper it is. It must be given no less than 24 hours before entering UK and no more than 60 hours. We have had vets offering to change the dates, which is highly reprehensible.
Just to correct the above, it is a minimum of 24 hours before and maximum of 120 hours before the return trip, not 60.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Notakwak is a Sweaty, so he'll be waiting until there's a sale on :)
14343626-Illustration-Featuring-a-Smiley-Covering-its-Nose-Stock-Illustration-emoticons-smell-bad.jpg

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Hoy you two. Bloody Yorkies are tighter than us but yes, i will be phoning round a few vets for quotes. :D

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Speak proper English boy

Whenever does a bloke from Bradford speak proper English? I have yet to meet one. My MIL just not long divorced one and i could never understand that twit either.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Whenever does a bloke from Bradford speak proper English? I have yet to meet one. My MIL just not long divorced one and i could never understand that twit either.
And how long were you in Bradford ? ;)

You only left coz you couldn't get deep fried Mars Bars and Tennant's Super :moon2:

:lips:

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
A year and met a few up here who managed to escape. Oh and unfortunately Harry who was the short lived FIL.

BTW i could get Tennants and deep fried mars was not thought about at the time. Haggis suppers oot the chippy was the thing.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
A year and met a few up here who managed to escape. Oh and unfortunately Harry who was the short lived FIL.

BTW i could get Tennants and deep fried mars was not thought about at the time. Haggis suppers oot the chippy was the thing.
:lips:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Back from the vet.

Passport £60.

3 years Rabies injection £55.

Will pick up Charlie's passport up in 2 weeks time when he goes back for his booster
Injections.

Vet confirmed we can go abroad after 21 days although we might need further injections the further south we travel.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Elvis got down here with just standard jabs :)

Fingers crossed on this one then as apparently these are the expensive ones.

Which ferry did you use to cross to Lanzarote any problems with the kennels etc

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Back from the vet.

Passport £60.

Will pick up Charlie's passport up in 2 weeks time when he goes back for his booster
Injections.

Vet confirmed we can go abroad after 21 days although we might need further injections the further south we travel.

:Eeek: wow.

£115 all together?

Mine was £46 all in. I believe that was for the rabies jab (3 year type) and the passport was FOC.

Booster injections for what? If they are for the rabies then that's how the vet has turned you over. He's used an unnecessarily expensive vaccine.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can't be long before some French vets start to get wise to the worming being an easy earner even on the cheapa nd start advertising

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
No the booster jabs are the normal yearly ones nothing to do with his passport.

We'll just pick up the passport at the same time(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
:Eeek: wow.

£115 all together?

Mine was £46 all in. I believe that was for the rabies jab (3 year type) and the passport was FOC.

Booster injections for what? If they are for the rabies then that's how the vet has turned you over. He's used an unnecessarily expensive vaccine.
My thought too! Seems very expensive! When we had to get a new passport for Romy as she'd filled up her old one it was only about £22 I think.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just taken Elvis to register at local vets and the law here is Rabies jabs every year.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Think it's one of these.

Leishmaniosis ?

Canileish is the vaccination.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You don't NEED to have any other injection, just the rabies vac, however the vet may advise you to have it ... but it is definitely not a legal requirement. There are other ways to protect your pet instead.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Think it's one of these.

Leishmaniosis ?

Yes, I understand now. Where are you going with your dog?

We had ours done with the Canileish vaccination but we are down as south as you can go and a bit beyond at the moment! You can go down that route if you are going to Spain, Portugal or Southern France, or you can get a Scabore collar. The vaccinations are to protect against Leishmaniosis which is spread by the sandfly.

I am really glad we had the vaccination as my dog has recently had a bad reaction to the collar and we had to remove it. By the way, my vet recommended using the collar even though she had had the Canileish vacs.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Back from the vet.

Passport £60.

Injections.

You won't want to know that the passport is 30€ here & the yearly rabies jab is the same price as the boosters at 17€ , so I won't mention it .:)

Just taken Elvis to register at local vets and the law here is Rabies jabs every year.

Yes , every year.Legal requirement here in Murcia for dogs ,cats & ferrets (?) + worming tabs every 3 months & book signed .:( mind you most vets will just bring book up to date when you go in as I never usually bothered taking dogs in every 3 months just bought the tablets .

Think it's one of these.

Leishmaniosis ?

Yes you can have a vaccination against it which is normally only used if the animal has a reaction to the drops/collar. like @Armytwowheels posted about their dog last week.
Another one worth having especially if dog is out once sun has set is to prevent heartworm due to bites from infected mosquito's.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
You don't NEED to have any other injection, just the rabies vac, however the vet may advise you to have it ... but it is definitely not a legal requirement. There are other ways to protect your pet instead.
Spot on Minxy Girl (y)

From memory the vet said this vaccine was a new way of dealing with problems
we might encounter but definitely not compulsory.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back