Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
:(
Yes, I understand now. Where are you going with your dog?

We had ours done with the Canileish vaccination but we are down as south as you can go and a bit beyond at the moment! You can go down that route if you are going to Spain, Portugal or Southern France, or you can get a Scabore collar. The vaccinations are to protect against Leishmaniosis which is spread by the sandfly.

I am really glad we had the vaccination as my dog has recently had a bad reaction to the collar and we had to remove it. By the way, my vet recommended using the collar even though she had had the Canileish vacs.

Heading over to France this spring to see how Charlie behaves:rolleyes:
Then heading all being well over to Fuerteventura hence the sand fly problem.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You won't want to know that the passport is 30ā‚¬ here & the yearly rabies jab is the same price as the boosters at 17ā‚¬ , so I won't mention it .:)

Actually I do want to know that as our dog needs her rabies jab booster later this summer, I might as well get it done in Spain, it will only be a couple of months early. Ta very much.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
:(

Heading over to France this spring to see how Charlie behaves:rolleyes:
Then heading all being well over to Fuerteventura hence the sand fly problem.
Ok, well in that case I wouldn't bother for your first trip. Just be aware that the sandfly vaccinations take 3 months I.e 3 injections each given a month apart.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Actually I do want to know that as our dog needs her rabies jab booster later this summer, I might as well get it done in Spain, it will only be a couple of months early. Ta very much.
We considered getting our dogs' rabies boosters done abroad too due to the cheap cost however they can ONLY give a 1 year vaccine so you'd have to pay 3 x ā‚¬17 = ā‚¬51, it would then work out more expensive than the usual UK fee.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Which ferry did you use to cross to Lanzarote any problems with the kennels etc
Got the ferry from Cadiz and the kennels are great and can pop down to the dogs and walk them almost all day :)

20150804_171606_zpsl4vmkpxz.jpg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We considered getting our dogs' rabies boosters done abroad too due to the cheap cost however they can ONLY give a 1 year vaccine so you'd have to pay 3 x ā‚¬17 = ā‚¬51, it would then work out more expensive than the usual UK fee.
Is that right, well that's no good then.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Got the ferry from Cadiz and the kennels are great and can pop down to the dogs and walk them almost all day :)

20150804_171606_zpsl4vmkpxz.jpg
Thanks for that (y)

Until you posted this photo it was 50/50 whether we flew Charlie over & met him in Fuerteventura.

Can you remember the name of that particular ferry ?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks for that (y)

Until you posted this photo it was 50/50 whether we flew Charlie over & met him in Fuerteventura.

Can you remember the name of that particular ferry ?
Here it is

http://www.trasmediterranea.es/en

First time I did it I booked a cabin, which works out quite expensive. Since then I haven't bothered as always been able to sneak down to camper and kip in that ;)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Which airlines fly dogs ? Is it expensive ?
Quite a few to choose from Yorick.

Thomas Cook definitely go.

We got an appropriate price off a company to fly him over Ā£700 each way :(
depending on what time of year also dependant on his weight & the size of air crate
which we have to supply.

Charlie weighs in at 12 kilo + crate
image.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

There is only 1 vaccine. The actual contents are exactly the same.

This is what is used here;
http://www.msd-animal-health.ph/products/131_118598/productdetails_131_118766.aspx
but yearly as Spanish law requires it to be done yearly.

& here an American article pointing out the same thing except over there the bottle sticker has 1 year or 3 year depending on state law .
https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/07/dog_rabies_vaccine.php
Here in the Eu the sticker just states the vaccine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is only 1 vaccine. The actual contents are exactly the same.

This is what is used here;
http://www.msd-animal-health.ph/products/131_118598/productdetails_131_118766.aspx
but yearly as Spanish law requires it to be done yearly.

& here an American article pointing out the same thing except over there the bottle sticker has 1 year or 3 year depending on state law .
https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/07/dog_rabies_vaccine.php
Here in the Eu the sticker just states the vaccine.
Ah, so it appears to be the DATE that they have to put in the passport that's different even if the vaccine itself has a later date on it.

I've had a shuftie at our dogs' passports and there's a sticker placed in them when the vaccine is given which has a date on it, which I assume means when it is 'active' to, not be administered by, but if the country it's administered in has a one year rule that would appear to over-ride the date on the vaccine if this is longer than the 'legal' date.

These are Lily, Tazzy & Romy's passport vac pages:

PP Dog - Lily - Vacs to Oct 15.jpg
PP Dog - Romy - Vacs to Jan 17.jpg
PP Dog - Tazzy - Vacs to Feb 16.jpg

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Wow wasn't expecting that, have just returned from my vets having got Tweed's Rabies (valid for 3 years) jab & pet passport, total bill Ā£102.30!!. Asked for a breakdown of cost and receipt shows:
Nobivac Rabies Ā£23.00
Pet Passport Ā£52.02
Consultation Health Check for first vaccine Ā£27.28.
Vets certainly know how to charge, guess thats Tweeds pocket money all used up then even before we travel !!

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Forgot to say all the prices did include VAT, thats a relief then.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ah, so it appears to be the DATE that they have to put in the passport that's different even if the vaccine itself has a later date on it.

I've had a shuftie at our dogs' passports and there's a sticker placed in them when the vaccine is given which has a date on it, which I assume means when it is 'active' to, not be administered by, but if the country it's administered in has a one year rule that would appear to over-ride the date on the vaccine if this is longer than the 'legal' date.

These are Lily, Tazzy & Romy's passport vac pages:

View attachment 90942 View attachment 90943 View attachment 90944

Not dead sure about the date on the stickers as I always thought it was a "use by" as in must be administered before that date. Rather than that date has to exceed the date of the next vaccination in 1 year. If that makes sense ?:D
In our book it has "date vaccinated" ,"date valid from" ," Date valid to" .All have to be filled in & encapsulated.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Whether you have a one, two or three year Rabies treatment make sure you check the date it runs out very carefully.

If the Rabies treatment time has run out your best friend, the dog I mean, will not be allowed to travel for 21 days if the Pet Passport Officer points out the problem to you on your return to the UK.

A failure to have the Tick treatment correctly done, signed or stamped only means a delay of 24 hours but the Rabies problem is all of three weeks.

You won't be the first and you won't be the last to have to hang about in France when you should be back home so check and double check especially if you have the shorter one year treatment.

Calais 1.jpg

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Who Hoo. My mates vet can stamp my return passport. This will be three days before my return trip what works out well. Its dearer i think at ā‚¬26 but it was looking like a detour into Brugge and an extra night stay so long term it works out much cheaper. Plus the wife would drag me round Brugge spending money. I seen the town years ago, there is only so many OAP's a man can tolerate in a day. I drove down from Amsterdam once as it was chucking it down and i must have got the same two days as English granny tours. It was funny but no night life for two blokes on the lash. :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A failure to have the Tick treatment correctly done, signed or stamped only means a delay of 24 hours but the Rabies problem is all of three weeks.

That's not correct Keith. The tick treatment isn't required at all any more. I don't even think those pages are in the new passports.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
NickNic - That's not correct Keith. The tick treatment isn't required at all any more

I apologise ā€“ I should have written Tapeworm (Echinococcus) treatment and not Tick.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's not correct Keith. The tick treatment isn't required at all any more. I don't even think those pages are in the new passports.
I think he means the worming treatment ... I'm always forgetting which is required and which isn't, but as we do both it's not a problem for us.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Maybe they heard you were coming :)

You know what this forum lacks. A section where people just talk about any old shite that pops into there minds. Bit like GM on TRC. We could call this new section the Yorick. :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You know what this forum lacks. A section where people just talk about any old shite that pops into there minds. Bit like GM on TRC. We could call this new section the Yorick. :D
It already exists ... it's called the 'Belly locker' ... don't ask me where it is as I've not been in much!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Speak properly ya drunken Sweaty :boxing::boxing:

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
It already exists ... it's called the 'Belly locker' ... don't ask me where it is as I've not been in much!
Now even if they put fat in front of that title it will still work for yorick. :LOL:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Now even if they put fat in front of that title it will still work for yorick. :LOL:
Hey, not as fat as you reckon :)

Just done 2 hour walk around rugged countryside and back along the beach. Going out for an hour cycle ride later. Then a 70 or 80 mile bike ride.

Healthy food only nowadays.

Bet I'm fitter than you ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hey, not as fat as you reckon :)

Just done 2 hour walk around rugged countryside and back along the beach. Going out for an hour cycle ride later. Then a 70 or 80 mile bike ride.

Healthy food only nowadays.

Bet I'm fitter than you ;)
Lets be having a photo then to prove it! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was talking about a photo of 'fit' you .. not the bl**dy bike! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back