Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner šŸ˜Š
Has this ever happened to anyone on here?

Louie was at the vets for his second year booster vaccination the other day but the vet was unable to find his microchip. A second vet was summoned but they were also unable to find it.

We had been through the Tunnel in May and it was easily read at that time. Has it just given up? Been damaged? Anyone else heard of this?

We will now need a new chip, rabies vaccination and having travelled especially into Belgium for a Pet Passport, it will now be invalid!

Canā€™t believe a chip has failed to work after only 2 years.

Jul 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
Has this ever happened to anyone on here?

Louie was at the vets for his second year booster vaccination the other day but the vet was unable to find his microchip. A second vet was summoned but they were also unable to find it.

We had been through the Tunnel in May and it was easily read at that time. Has it just given up? Been damaged? Anyone else heard of this?

We will now need a new chip, rabies vaccination and having travelled especially into Belgium for a Pet Passport, it will now be invalid!

Canā€™t believe a chip has failed to work after only 2 years.
Chips can migrate all over the place, but if it was found in its original place in May then itā€™s unlikely to have migrated so far as to be undetectable in that short time. Could the vetā€™s reader have been faulty?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Used to be the opposite way with us. Showed up at Vets but always difficult at the port as different type of reader. I know itā€™s not a cheap option but chip would show on XRay.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
When we travelled with our then 6 months old dog in January the chip wasnā€™t reading when we were waiting to board the ferry. Idk if she eventually got it to read or not because I didnā€™t hear it and she just said thatā€™s fine you can board! When we had his wormer done overseas in Austria the chip read fine. And has done since so I think it was the scanner at fault the first time .

OP
OP
Louie25
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I can feel the chip at the top of his front leg but two different scanners have failed to read.
I donā€™t know if itā€™s been damaged because it doesnā€™t feel very deep?

OP
OP
Louie25
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Strange one, the chips do move around the body a fair bit but obviously they had a good scan.
One of my dogs chips has gone from neck to top of leg but the other dogs has stayed put!!
Yes Louieā€™s one has moved as I can feel it at the top of his leg.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
We carry a scanner, not expensive, and check the chip occasionally. We have also offered it to travellers at BF when the BF scanner would not read their chip. It worked!
Thatā€™s a great idea and I wondered about doing the same. Do you have a link to the one you have, please?

OP
OP
Louie25
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
What happens if it fails on they way back from France?
Does the dog have to go into quarantine for three weeks?
Exactly! Itā€™s an expensive fail if it happen.

Iā€™ve emailed the microchip company as it not just a new chip Iā€™ll have to fork out for.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I bought a Scanner to deal with this sort of situation they are quite reasonably priced and so give peace of mind, my fellas chip moved massively but l found it and always know exactly where it is at Border Control.
Worth every Penny.
Do you have a link to the one you have, please?

OP
OP
Louie25
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Do you have a link to the one you have, please?

I was considering this one?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+

I was considering this one?
Yes, the Halo brand is the one l have the EBay price is good l bought from Amazon.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Chips do fail. About 10 years ago there was a batch of one particular brand which had a very high failure rate and the manufacturers replaced those that did FOC. But all brands do have failures, although very low rates generally.
Doesn't help you though.
In my experience, modern chips migrate under the skin far less than the early ones did.

OP
OP
Louie25
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Chips do fail. About 10 years ago there was a batch of one particular brand which had a very high failure rate and the manufacturers replaced those that did FOC. But all brands do have failures, although very low rates generally.
Doesn't help you though.
In my experience, modern chips migrate under the skin far less than the early ones did.
Thanks for your response. Is my only option then to put a secondary chip in and re vaccinate for rabies? Or do the vets provide some sort of certification to say this dog used to have chip no 1234 but now has chip 5678?

I intend to travel abroad with him again in the future and wouldnā€™t want to be turned away at the port/tunnel.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Thanks for your response. Is my only option then to put a secondary chip in and re vaccinate for rabies? Or do the vets provide some sort of certification to say this dog used to have chip no 1234 but now has chip 5678?

I intend to travel abroad with him again in the future and wouldnā€™t want to be turned away at the port/tunnel.
I'd do everything others have suggested - different reader, scan the whole dog. But sadly I think you will have to get the dog rechipped. The vet may be prepared to issue a rabies cert with the new chip number on it if she knows the dog and you well but may not. Our regulator takes false certification very seriously. If you have to have another rabies vaccine its no big deal - millions of dogs in France and Spain have rabies vaccines every year. And I'd certainly ask the vet if the microchip manufacturer would cover the cost of the new chip and the revaccination.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That is why I always get the chip checked at my vets to ensure it works when he does tha paperwork for the passport.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I had my dogā€˜s chip checked again at the local vets the other day when he went for his boosters and it was very difficult to scan, although it did eventually, the vet said maybe itā€™s quite deep. He was using a halo scanner so Iā€™ve ordered one from eBay for Ā£39.84 for peace of mind. I hope you can get your dogā€˜s chip to scan, Louie25

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back