Dog meds & getting ready for holiday (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As we're away on holiday in just over a week's time I've been getting things sorted and thought others might be interested in the below.

Our Lily is an anxious little beastie I decided to see if I could find something to calm her down for our holiday - she worries which makes her pant and shake when travelling (or when she gets concerned about anything) and despite trying other stuff, such as anxiety/thunder shirts and meds from the vet (which leave her zonked but still quivering) I thought I’d try Zylkene which seems to have good reviews. I’ve therefore bought some Zylkene capsules/power on-line from Fetch.co.uk which, whilst not the cheapest, have an offer at the moment of free postage over £29 and a 15% discount for new customers. Whilst I was at it I decided to also get some Drontal wormers so that when we go to the vet on our way back we won’t have to pay for their expensive ones, I’ve bought enough for both our holidays:

£14.57: Zylkene Caps 225mg 20 per pack x 1 (half a capsule a day)
£19.95: Drontal Dog Tasty Bone 2 per pack x 5 (1 each for Lily and Tazzy, 3 for Romy)
£36.14: Subtotal
£-1.62: Offer savings
£ 0.00: Delivery charge
£-5.18: Voucher saving
£29.34: Total

They order will be here tomorrow and I’ll start Lily on the Zylkene a few days before we go to give it a chance to get into her system … fingers crossed it will work! :rolleyes:

Now the hunt for suitable vets to use on our way back will begin as no way am I gonna get ripped off like we did last year … over £100 for 3 dogs!!!! :mad:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where you off to then?
Latest plan is France then wiggle down to Spain and have a few weeks hopefully in the sun tootling around, we may have a little dabble in Portugal (love the barragems!) but other than that nothing set in stone ... it could all change before we leave! :D

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
What about the Scalibor collars, protection against mozzies, ticks and sand flies?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Latest plan is France then wiggle down to Spain and have a few weeks hopefully in the sun tootling around, we may have a little dabble in Portugal (love the barragems!) but other than that nothing set in stone ... it could all change before we leave! :D
Have fun and keep us up to date. Might see you around depending on your route.(y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What about the Scalibor collars, protection against mozzies, ticks and sand flies?
Already got those. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'll be Interested to hear how you get on with the capsules for nervousness etc, our girl lab (working strain) is very neurotic at times, particularly when we go somewhere new or she's put in different situations and she'll often shake with excitement/ nervousness.
That aside, have a great time away

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Our Dalmatian used to "witter" on journeys and gradually got worse at this. One day my wife realised he appeared to be gripping the floor with his paws. He travelled on his bed on the floor while wearing a doggy harness for safety. It didn't appear to slide about but it must have moved slightly and this would frighten him. Our solution was to stick the grippy type of material that IKEA sell for shelves and trays to the underside of his bed. Now he travels happily.
Sometimes removing the thing that troubles them is possible, its just they don't tell you what it is.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unfortunately our Lily got very badly frightened on a ferry once and since then has been anxious ... any bangs, loudishnnoises, even a twig snapping can set her off, and whilst we travel if she sees a bridge, fly-over, motorway, or anything remotely looking like the entrance to a port, or onto a boat, she starts to worry, so what with the noises you get in a camper/MH and the stuff she can see out of the windows, even if she's on the floor, she's always worrying. When on holiday we try most of the time to avoid motorways and use smaller roads which aren't as bad for her but obviously it's not possible all the time. The only time she settles is when she's so tired she simply cannot 'react' anymore but that's rare as she fights it.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Po
Unfortunately our Lily got very badly frightened on a ferry once and since then has been anxious ... any bangs, loudishnnoises, even a twig snapping can set her off, and whilst we travel if she sees a bridge, fly-over, motorway, or anything remotely looking like the entrance to a port, or onto a boat, she starts to worry, so what with the noises you get in a camper/MH and the stuff she can see out of the windows, even if she's on the floor, she's always worrying. When on holiday we try most of the time to avoid motorways and use smaller roads which aren't as bad for her but obviously it's not possible all the time. The only time she settles is when she's so tired she simply cannot 'react' anymore but that's rare as she fights it.
Poor Lily that's really tough for her.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The bits and bobs arrived today so we've decided to start Lily on the Zylkene tomorrow and see if it has any affect on her, if it does I'll get some more to ensure I have enough for our complete holiday seeing as it comes so quickly it would be here before we go if I ordered it by Monday at the latest.(y)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We were told by a Portugese vet that scalibor collars were ineffective. That was on our way home, when it wouldn't have made any difference to the fee I hasten to add.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use, as advised by our vet;

Advocate (1st week of each month)
Advantix (3rd week of each month)

and this seems to cover most nasties. Not cheap but what is at a vet. I have bought in France at a pharmacy and they were a little cheaper than our vet subject to exchange rate.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
The plug in diffusers are good. I could not find a 12 volt one but Adaptil make a collar and a spray.
http://www.adaptil.com/uk/What-Causes-Stress-in-Dogs/Dog-Car-Travel-Anxiety-and-Sickness-Advice
Our collie really hates fireworks, had good results with Adaptil diffuser (at home), also have the collar but think the diffuser is more effective.
Also use Advantix as it covers sand flies and not all do.
Scalibor collar is not supposed to get wet so no good telling that to our dog when he spots the sea!

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
We use https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/dogs for our dog , he is diabetic so require insolin injections twice a day plus we get the tick collars scalibor from them , they seem to be the cheapest we can find on line

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back