Dog hates the beast

Discussion in 'Best Campsites for Dogs' started by glynis50, Sep 30, 2017.

1. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +36,083
    Why not attach a stuffed toy rabbit (with a wire coat hanger) to you motorhome rear bumper, sticking it out sideways on the pavement side, and just let her chase it as you drive along...

JJ :cool:

• Funny Funny x 9
  2. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Ratings:
    +3,547
  3. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Ratings:
    +8,738
    Our border hates the motorhome as well and previous border not much better. Remember a programme a month or so ago with dogs and owners competing in events. The border was tested to see if it was ampidextrous as seemingly they are more noise sensitive. Definitely the noise in motorhome that's problem with ours, she doesn't like car but settles a bit better. Now trying soft cage which at least keeps her in same place instead of climbing over our other dog and tangling up harnesses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +974
    We are really lucky with our dog, as the motorhome is his favourite place in the world. Although he gets a little annoyed if the Missus is with us a steals "his" chair :)
    (it's our everyday vehicle as well, so just him and I if Missus at work)

I work from home and usually the dog never leaves my side. He hates it if I leave him at home to walk to the shop etc., but in the van it's the complete opposite. As soon as we arrive somewhere he will moan for a walk to scope the area, then once back in the van he moans to get rid of us for a few hours so he gets the place to himself. Christ knows what he does in there :)

He's always been afraid of fireworks and for years I'd start getting Gelsemium into his system around the end of October as it takes a few days to start calming.

Discovering how well Theanine works was complete luck. Last Summer there was a big party a few doors down and they had fireworks. Dog was petrified.

All I had in was the Theanine that I take, so did a quick Google search to make sure it was safe for dogs (found it was and is common to give to dogs) and popped a capsule in a bit of cheese. 30 minutes later he was fine.

It's all I've used now for the last year and a bit whenever he is scared or a little out of control because of a bitch in heat close-by etc. Works so well.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Head Gardener

Head Gardener Funster

Ratings:
    +256
    What a lovely post, clearly you are as daft about your dog as we are :D

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,737
    We had similar problems with one of our ex racing greyhounds. We were told that she had been abandoned at the roadside before being put into the retired greyhound trust facility we got her from.

She would also pant and shake in any vehicle, and throw up too. She would go clammy and as her entire body would turn damp. We think it was because she associated going in a car with either racing or more likely being dumped.

We started by putting her in the back of the estate car with the tailgate open and us sitting outside nearby. She should still throw up!

We took her on a lot of short journeys to walks and treats etc so she came to associate the car journey with pleasure/fun.

After probably 18 months of her in effect being made to come with us, she has now got her confidence and jumps willingly in the back of the car or MH.

We did try the usual tranqilising type remedies, not feeding before a journey, ginger biscuits and just about everyone the internet had to offer - but none worked.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's likely to be a confidence thing and can only really be cured with time, love, and positive attention - all of which as a greyhound rescuer you'll have in spades!

Good luck, keep in there, it might take time but it will be ok in the end!

• Like it Like it x 3
  7. macscrooge

macscrooge Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    Our Lurcher has always been fine in cars - she travels in a soft 'crate' secured on the back seat. She didn't like the MoHo at first - probably much more noise than she's used to, but using the same smelly dog crate seems to improve the journey for her. She particularly loves being with us in the MoHo when on site.

8. glynis50

glynis50 Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi again. Thanks for all the advice. I tried theanin, calming spray, rescue remedy. Antihistamines with no joy
    Had some xanax prescribed by my vet which helped when I kept upping the dose but made her hyper. Great on bonfire night when she'd stopped doing a wall of death round the house!! I was warned about this reaction and need to tweak the dose on our next trip. Fingers crossed.....

9. rogher

rogher Funster

Ratings:
    +1,392
    Vet prescribed tablets. Think they were sedatives. Poor chap couldn't even stand up when we stopped. Never again.
    Perhaps we should've checked who they were for.
    Will she chase alongside, I wonder?