Do you own an Apple IOS device? You really should be aware of this. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Pictures are being undeleted, even extremely old ones that should be long gone.
This is happening even on wiped phones that have been sold.

Serious issues. Worth a listen to it all if you have an iPhone or other IOS device. Some information later in the video might be important.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So, deleting a file isn't actually deleting it "fully" just removing the indexing for it because it seems not to be a synchronising issue! Restoring photos with no iCloud account!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
And this is one of the reasons why I take a big hammer to my old tech, including laptops, memory drives, phones and iPads. I’d rather destroy them than make a few bob trying to sell them 👍🏻

Also, I’ve never ever used this cloud malarkey, it’s asking for trouble and lots of celebrities have found out 👍🏻

Lastly, don’t take damming pictures 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
When I buy a new iPhone I keep the old one as a backup...then so on and so forth

I now have a drawer full of vintage phones.. Motorola, Nokias, Blackberry, Samsung and handful of legacy iPhones.. I never sell or gave away any phone.... I like collecting them

If you are selling or giving away an iPhone don't just delete files and photos.. do a full factory reset and wipe... that nukes everything

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
But does that delete the actual data itself and do a three times random write over the memory which I gather is needed so data cannot be forensically retrieved (or is that just relevant to hard drives?).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
When an unused phone number "expires" after so many months, I believe that number can then be allocated to a new user.
As the phone number (sim card) is connected to the whole system, then that means a total stranger can access your data by some means or other, if the previous owner hadn't deleted old data.
I'm sure someone on here can explain how that can't happen.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
When I buy a new iPhone I keep the old one as a backup...then so on and so forth

I now have a drawer full of vintage phones.. Motorola, Nokias, Blackberry, Samsung and handful of legacy iPhones.. I never sell or gave away any phone.... I like collecting them

If you are selling or giving away an iPhone don't just delete files and photos.. do a full factory reset and wipe... that nukes everything

Same as me Jim. I've even got the chargers to go with them as well.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
When an unused phone number "expires" after so many months, I believe that number can then be allocated to a new user.
As the phone number (sim card) is connected to the whole system, then that means a total stranger can access your data by some means or other, if the previous owner hadn't deleted old data.
I'm sure someone on here can explain how that can't happen.
The phone number alone does not give access to any phone content unless coupled with other login data such as Apple ID and password. At least for Apple iPhones. I can’t speak for android etc. I thought it was well known that deleted files are never actually deleted however they can and are written over regularly to avoid blocking server space and thus reusing it as every server of whatever nature cannot have totally unlimited storage. I think in the cases mentioned users may well have failed to ‘clean’ thier devices properly before disposing of them. Or if they are still in possession and using the device they cloud based storage is simply allowing access to deleted files in error. Lastly, don’t believe everything you hear from a video chat show. , if you do you will of course know that aliens are populating an abandoned town in Arizona.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You didn't watch the video did you :p

One of the guys did a factory reset with secure wipe and sold his device. The embarrassing photos then reappeared in full view of the new owner.

THAT is why I posted this. It is serious.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So, deleting a file isn't actually deleting it "fully" just removing the indexing for it
That's not how flash works. They cover this in the video. Flash memory is not like a spinning hard disk.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But does that delete the actual data itself and do a three times random write over the memory which I gather is needed so data cannot be forensically retrieved (or is that just relevant to hard drives?).
That is just relevant to spinning hard drives. Due to residual magnetism, it is possible to read what was there before using clever techniques.
The magnetism is analogue.

This cannot be done with flash. Flash is fully digital it is either fully on or off (ok not quite technical true with MLC, TLC and QLC etc) So once you write a zero to the drive it is zero'd.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That's not how flash works. They cover this in the video. Flash memory is not like a spinning hard disk.
Yeah my terminology is wrong but how are the photos reappearing on a device if it's not from iCloud?:unsure:

ps I did watch it al the way through and I think the above sentence is where they ended up!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yeah my terminology is wrong but how are the photos reappearing on a device if it's not from iCloud?:unsure:

ps I did watch it al the way through and I think the above sentence is where they ended up!
I think is MUST be from iCloud as secure delete would mean they are gone completely from the device.

I personally think that iCloud is storing stuff it shouldn't. And a bug in the auth system meant the files were restored using the phone's ID instead of a valid login.

I cannot think of any other way of it happening consistently. Although as they say in the video, their may be some consumer confusion about how things are supposed to work.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think is MUST be from iCloud as secure delete would mean they are gone completely from the device.

I personally think that iCloud is storing stuff it shouldn't. And a bug in the auth system meant the files were restored using the phone's ID instead of a valid login.

I cannot think of any other way of it happening consistently. Although as they say in the video, their may be some consumer confusion about how things are supposed to work.
Maybe I misheard but at towards the end of the video they were saying someone impacted by this isn't using iCloud. That's what I'm struggling with.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Considering the average age of the Funsters I am having trouble moving past dick pics and their female equivalent. I saw too many of the real thing in my working life.

I do think it’s the younger generation that may have to worry about this sort of stuff as so many live their lives through social media and if there isn’t a photo of it then it didn’t happen.

I may or may not have done some really silly things at Medical school but who knows? Weren’t we lucky to be young and daft when we were.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Considering the average age of the Funsters I am having trouble moving past dick pics and their female equivalent. I saw too many of the real thing in my working life.

I do think it’s the younger generation that may have to worry about this sort of stuff as so many live their lives through social media and if there isn’t a photo of it then it didn’t happen.

I may or may not have done some really silly things at Medical school but who knows? Weren’t we lucky to be young and daft when we were.
Especially as there was no cloud

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I personally think that iCloud is storing stuff it shouldn't.
I have been shouting this from the rooftops for years:
There is no such thing as a secret on a computer - any computer. If you put anything on a computer it is out there for the whole world to see. There are some very clever (& evil) people out there.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
nope.. more important stuff to do .. :wink:

see post #19
I saw post #19 AND read it :p But that was after the initial articles, video and post on here.

Also something doesn't seem right about their response. I sense they are denying something like they are known to do.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Attention all Tesla test drivers.

You will be getting a link from Tesla for you to complete and return to Tesla shortly.

Before I close the book on this any one else interested?

I saw post #19 AND read it :p ;) But that was after the initial articles, video and post on here.

Also something doesn't seem right about their response. I sense they are denying something like they are known to do.
Oooooooh………you old cynic, Gromett!!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
New update to sort it
IMG_3426.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun