Do you need 4 wheel drive for a bug out camper? (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've been looking at videos of bug out campers, and various meetings for them. Obviously a lot of them are ex-military vehicles, but I was surprised by the number of standard motor homes. I was also surprised by the paucity of conversions with four driven rear wheels. My Convoy has this, and it seems to handle mildly muddy fields quite well. I'll get better fuel consumption, and more interior space with the Convoy. Is it worth considering it for bug out meets, or should I look at ex-military vehicles if I decide to go wild in the future?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
It all depends how wild your wild camping is going to be.
My 4x4 has two diff locks and a centre diff lock and sometimes does need all three.
These sorts of roads are ancient rights of way and can get you into deepest darkest wilderness you could imagine where no one would ever bother you. Well apart from some miserable ramblers that think they own the countryside but tha's a whole other story ?
But if all you are doing is going to camping fields then 2wd is more than enough if fuel economy is critical.
Someone will always tow you out.

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
What's a bug out camper? ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
all wheel drive is a big advantage even when on gravel roads , particularly when going uphill , but tyre choice is a very big factor as well . I recently saw a youtube of a new Mercedes camper 4x4 with dual rears sliding about on a muddy climb up a road due to road oriented tyres as you would see on a normal motorhome
I have 6x6 , with cross axle and interaxle difflocks and ETC but every vehicle can get stuck eventually :)

Tyre chains are a relatively cheap and very effective traction aid on mud or snow .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
What's a bug out camper? ??
Its an american import term , similar to a Zombie apocalypse vehicle /Mad max !
In UK its a offroad offgrid motorhome , but a fairly loose definition .
This gives you a flavour

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I haven't decided if I want to escape for a week or two, or just got to rallies and vintage meets. I used to take vintage motor cycles and stationary engines to various meets, and those are usually in fields that get a bit churned up. As you said, there is often someone there with a massive old tractor, often a crawler, than can pull you out. I do try to be independent and self-sufficient though.

ps. I've shaved off my beard. :)

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Its an american import term , similar to a Zombie apocalypse vehicle /Mad max !
In UK its a offroad offgrid motorhome , but a fairly loose definition .
This gives you a flavour

I've watched enough zombie apocalypse films and series to know this. The best zombie apocalypse vehicle is one with fuel still in it.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I haven't decided if I want to escape for a week or two, or just got to rallies and vintage meets. I used to take vintage motor cycles and stationary engines to various meets, and those are usually in fields that get a bit churned up. As you said, there is often someone there with a massive old tractor, often a crawler, than can pull you out. I do try to be independent and self-sufficient though.

ps. I've shaved off my beard. :)
Elephant rally lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back