Do you leave a trace of your visit? (1 Viewer)

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
As owners of motorhomes we visit other people's communities here and abroad. We respect their lifestyles and cultures and we leave no trace when we leave. Is there a code of conduct for Motorhome Funsters to set an example for others?

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
It’s just common sense and morals but unfortunately many people don’t have either….😔
Spot on. Totally agree. But my observation is that many uninformed people don't consider others who camp around and after them.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I've just come back from a field in Surrey.
Last night around 150-200 teenage (Explorer) Scouts were camped there along with 50+ adults.

By mid day today other than a bit of crushed grass and a bit of mud from all the foot traffic there is little trace of their passing.
Give a few days for the grass to recover, you would never know they have been.

It all depends on how people are educated.
There are those that 'take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.'
And there are those that don't ........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
All of the above!

As a Freedom Camper I endeavour to leave nothing but tyre tracks and only then if unavoidable.

Also, and I'm no goody, goody, less litter than was present when I arrived. I have a litter picker and bags, it is an easy if occasionaly unpleasant, the reason I do it is that I have found that it is all too easy for residual rubbish to be blamed on the motorhomer recently departed.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Surely it is preferable to leave the folks you visited a momento of your visit?

Maybe a lumpy bit from your black tank for their dog to have a good sniff over or some aromatic grey water which will remind them of you when they walk past the stain it leaves on their drive...

Only suggestions mind... :wink:

JJ :cool:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes I heard about the tyre tracks rule.. So I got these for the bike 😎😜 received_1044661093481258.jpegreceived_1423759614898166.jpeg

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
All of the above!

As a Freedom Camper I endeavour to leave nothing but tyre tracks and only then if unavoidable.

Also, and I'm no goody, goody, less litter than was present when I arrived. I have a litter picker and bags, it is an easy if occasionaly unpleasant, the reason I do it is that I have found that it is all too easy for residual rubbish to be blamed on the motorhomer recently departed.
You are so right. I have raised this because I think we need to set an example as responsible motorhome owners. We want to be free to camp where we want with no trace. I have stopped at many sites here and abroad and my first job is always to get out the poo bags and pick up poo and other waste from previous campers. Let's have a code of conduct that sets the standard for others. We will be respected if we do this and I believe it will open up new opportunities for leisure campers.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I've just come back from a field in Surrey.
Last night around 150-200 teenage (Explorer) Scouts were camped there along with 50+ adults.

By mid day today other than a bit of crushed grass and a bit of mud from all the foot traffic there is little trace of their passing.
Give a few days for the grass to recover, you would never know they have been.

It all depends on how people are educated.
There are those that 'take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.'
And there are those that don't ........
This is so true. When the pandemic hit us and we had to get out of Spain at short notice I had to teach my younger and better half how to construct a Scout's toilet to get us home over our four day trip home with no sites. Details are too messy to relate here, but the Scouts in my teenage years in the 1960s taught me a lot about survival and cleanliness without the basics. Good on them.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Leave No Trace (LNT) is really important to us.
In addition to motor homing we also do backpacking and leave only footprints.

As an "aside" this is where snow chains are great in a field ... much less churning up.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015

As an "aside" this is where snow chains are great in a field ... much less churning up.
With the massive expansion of the number of motorhomes on the road in recent years and the quest for the lifestyle depicted in the glossy ads, I think there is a real risk that we responsible motor homers are going to get a bad rap from people who don't know about our standards. That's why I am asking for a code of conduct. Your response suggests to me that you would be a great member to have on board. Thanks

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Maybe "LNT" should be a sticker on the back of motorhomes.
Those that know will know.

And those that dont have it, will be the ones that should be finding out ....

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I leave it as i find it. I don't stop in the van and head out with a black bag and litter pick everyone else's crap though.

If it's messy with rubbish I probably wouldn't stop there.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not only do we leave no trace and take our rubbish away, we pick up others rubbish that’s been discarded or blown in by the wind.

We take the mind that others may well think the rubbish is from us, so we collect it as well, especially at the Park4Night sites.

If the locals see us picking up old rubbish, then it’s got to show us in a good light and help take the negative impact lots seem to have.

It’s also the reason I pull over whenever possible, to allow anyone behind me to pass. I’m never usually in a hurry but they may well be. It’s also pleasing to have so many acknowledge this by a toot, a wave or a quick blip of their hazard lights, especially white van man 👍🏻

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Not only do we leave no trace and take our rubbish away, we pick up others rubbish that’s been discarded or blown in by the wind.

We take the mind that others may well think the rubbish is from us, so we collect it as well, especially at the Park4Night sites.

If the locals see us picking up old rubbish, then it’s got to show us in a good light and help take the negative impact lots seem to have.

It’s also the reason I pull over whenever possible, to allow anyone behind me to pass. I’m never usually in a hurry but they may well be. It’s also pleasing to have so many acknowledge this by a toot, a wave or a quick blip of their hazard lights, especially white van man 👍🏻

I try to pull over for working vans behind me as I know they’ve got to be somewhere whereas I’m in no hurry, besides there earning my pension….👍🏼😎

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back