Do SOGs really work? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
I know what a SOG is and what it's supposed to do but would like to know if they really work.. Can you really dispense with bottles of smelly coloured chemicals? I've read various comments about the smell and neighbouring campers - how bad is it?
What I really don't understand is, if they really work, why aren't they more popular? They're not cheap but neither is a few years supply of nasty chemicals...
All explanations gratefully received!

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I do still use a bio washing liquid tab just because it keeps the inside easy to rinse out and is then clean when stored up and not using.

It’s much nicer to use the toilet as we normally open the blade before using (for a nice clean drop :whistle:) and there is absolutely no whiff.

It’s also nicer for the other occupants inside the MH .......... :rolleyes:
Hi Annie

I’ve never quite got my head around the bio tab thing. Is it meant to be in addition to the green toilet chemical (Elsan etc). Or instead of. Do you think it works better than the chemicals. What’s the main benefits of using it?

Any help you could give is appreciated, as it’s not something I’ve much experience with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said door vented ones under the plastic cover on the door.
Floor vented filter is a green canister in a locker or cupboard near the loo or in the double floor near the loo, our van has a hatch in the floor by the loo.
Roof vented ones don't have filter.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Its when the filler cap disappears down the sewer as you remove it that you really need to worry. :LOL:
Can replacement caps be bought ?
I went through a stage of putting the cap on the ground, then accidentally kicking it. Could easily have gone down the drain
I'm more careful now, but still prone to relapse :mad:
To lose it whilst traveling could be disastrous
I might look into carrying a spare

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I couldn't put a funny to that, I live dangerously close to those sort of situations daily.
Been there :rolleyes:
Having emptied the cupboard and cleared the years of sludge blocking the 'U' bend together with the remaining washing up water into a bucket I removed the bucket from underneath and tipped the contents into the sink...........:whistle:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Annie

I’ve never quite got my head around the bio tab thing. Is it meant to be in addition to the green toilet chemical (Elsan etc). Or instead of. Do you think it works better than the chemicals. What’s the main benefits of using it?

Any help you could give is appreciated, as it’s not something I’ve much experience with.
The bio washing tabs are used instead of green additive. I think the benefits are that it can be cheaper per use (Lidl Aldi ones); easier to use as just drop a sachet or tablet in rather than measuring out with caps, and smells nice when you’ve just emptied and so it seems fresh.
I also find that it’s good at keeping the inside of the cassette clean so a very good multiple rinse at the end of a trip will give you a fresh cassette to store.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been there :rolleyes:
Having emptied the cupboard and cleared the years of sludge blocking the 'U' bend together with the remaining washing up water into a bucket I removed the bucket from underneath and tipped the contents into the sink...........:whistle:
Been there done that more than once.:doh:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Annie

The bio stuff is only for SOGs. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have the extraction fan.
Can replacement caps be bought ?
I went through a stage of putting the cap on the ground, then accidentally kicking it. Could easily have gone down the drain
I'm more careful now, but still prone to relapse :mad:
To lose it whilst traveling could be disastrous
I might look into carrying a spare

You can buy replacements but they are around £20! If you lose the cap on a trip a poly bag and a rubber band works fine - been there, done that. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back