Do SOGs really work? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
I know what a SOG is and what it's supposed to do but would like to know if they really work.. Can you really dispense with bottles of smelly coloured chemicals? I've read various comments about the smell and neighbouring campers - how bad is it?
What I really don't understand is, if they really work, why aren't they more popular? They're not cheap but neither is a few years supply of nasty chemicals...
All explanations gratefully received!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need to be diligent with changing the carbon filter otherwise it will smell outside, don't notice anything at the dump point though.

Martin

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I do still use a bio washing liquid tab just because it keeps the inside easy to rinse out and is then clean when stored up and not using.

It’s much nicer to use the toilet as we normally open the blade before using (for a nice clean drop :whistle:) and there is absolutely no whiff.

It’s also nicer for the other occupants inside the MH .......... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had them in the last 3 vans, the door vented one we had in the first van didn't work as well as the newer ones. Last 2 vans we have had the underfloor vented ones they work very well. Also the roof vented ones work well and they don't need a filter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
A SOG system isn’t necessary for our type of “Vanning”, but I’ve an interest in the way they work.
I’ve always thought that the process a sog uses is anaerobic, and that process takes several days to break down solid waste material.
If I used my “chemical free toilet” I would want to empty it as soon as possible, and in that situation the cassette would still contain largely RAW sewage. That’s why they smell. So unless you leave the waste in a cassette until the non chemical process has broken the waste down, aren’t you kidding yourself ?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A SOG system isn’t necessary for our type of “Vanning”, but I’ve an interest in the way they work.
I’ve always thought that the process a sog uses is anaerobic, and that process takes several days to break down solid waste material.
If I used my “chemical free toilet” I would want to empty it as soon as possible, and in that situation the cassette would still contain largely RAW sewage. That’s why they smell. So unless you leave the waste in a cassette until the non chemical process has broken the waste down, aren’t you kidding yourself ?
I don't think you understand the idea behind them. :) All a SOG system does is suck air in when the blade is open and discharge it from the vehicle. This means when the blade is open the smell of the cassette contents doesn't intrude.
When you come to empty the cassette it can be a bit smelly which is why many folk, me included, add bio washing liquid. The enzymes in this reduces the smell considerably and I think they help break down the "solids" but don't quote me on that as I haven't done a proper trial to compare with and without. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes the cassette contains RAW sewage. Who knew? It doesn't contain RAW sewage plus a chemical that kills all the bacteria in the septic tank sewage disposal system commonly found on rural camp sites.

The carbon filter stops all the smells, until it is full, at which point it won't. If you change it every 12 months it is usually OK. If you're a family of four full-timing then maybe more often is necessary. Stick your nose by the filter when the fan is running to test it.

If you never change the filter or worse still just throw it away and not replace it, it will smell as you would expect.

One advantage is, you can empty it as often as you want, every day maybe, and you're not trying to economise on chemicals by leaving it as long as possible until it's nearly full.

The basic trouble is that the filter is out of sight, out of mind for most people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes the cassette contains RAW sewage. Who knew? It doesn't contain RAW sewage plus a chemical that kills all the bacteria in the septic tank sewage disposal system commonly found on rural camp sites.

The carbon filter stops all the smells, until it is full, at which point it won't. If you change it every 12 months it is usually OK. If you're a family of four full-timing then maybe more often is necessary. Stick your nose by the filter when the fan is running to test it.

If you never change the filter or worse still just throw it away and not replace it, it will smell as you would expect.

One advantage is, you can empty it as often as you want, every day maybe, and you're not trying to economise on chemicals by leaving it as long as possible until it's nearly full.

The basic trouble is that the filter is out of sight, out of mind for most people.
Yep. Filter change is essential

Upvote 0

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
It’s much nicer to use the toilet as we normally open the blade before using (for a nice clean drop :whistle:) and there is absolutely no whiff.

Im intrigued @Riverbankannie by your comment, do some people do their business onto the blade? We’re new to this and have always opened first but would have assumed that could be quite messy?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Im intrigued @Riverbankannie by your comment, do some people do their business onto the blade? We’re new to this and have always opened first but would have assumed that could be quite messy?
Very, especially after a curry. :)

Upvote 0

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
There is always a first time isn’t there ? :whistle:
and yes it is messy ..... so I’m told :rolleyes: :pinocchio:

As the only one responsible for emptying our cassette in our four person family this terrifies me :)

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Same
I do still use a bio washing liquid tab just because it keeps the inside easy to rinse out and is then clean when stored up and not using.

It’s also nicer for the other occupants inside the MH .......... :rolleyes:

Same here although in winter hubby doesn’t use the Bio clothes washing liquid we get from Aldi/Lidl.
Much nicer to use the loo as you don’t get any smell in the washroom/van.
Renew Charcoal filter.

Upvote 0

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
The blade shall be open. No debate. Plus I pride myself in a clean ten point entry, no touch, no splash! It should be an Olympic sport, especially with all the practice SWMBO gets...

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The blade shall be open. No debate. Plus I pride myself in a clean ten point entry, no touch, no splash! It should be an Olympic sport, especially with all the practice SWMBO gets...
However, should you be off form ....................... I recommend a spray bottle filled with diluted pink flush additive and and a dishwash brush.

NO not the one from the kitchen :eek:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Where does one find the carbon filter on a SOG system?
There are different systems, venting through the roof, floor or cassette compartment door. Mine is inside a plastic cover fixed on the outside of the cassette compartment door, held by two screws from underneath. If it's in a different place, follow the plastic flexible hose to find it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back