Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
Hi, well im sat here thinking do I need to spend money on solar panels, we have two 110 batteries, we never do any longer than two days wild camping at any one time then we head off to a site with EHU for showers and fresh water.
All we use when off site are lights, all led, radio, and 80 litre compressor fridge , water tap with a surflow pump, im very close to buying the solar kit so any advise would be appreciated
regards landyman (Paul)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
If it were me I would buy one, even though you have enough power for two days. Point being you would have the option stay away longer if you wanted to, or you can add to your power demands when you need to. I have a 130 watt panel and we never have to worry and we use a TV on top of the things you mentioned. I am not sure what a compressor fridge is , my fridge runs of gas.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I bought mine, 80w, as it was a dual charger.
Engine batt let me down a few times when left for a couple of weeks, never had a problem since and it has sat for 3 or 4 weeks at a time.
This weather i don't need hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have 280 watt and never use a hook up even in winter I think I could get away for at least 4 days with 2 110 amp batterys

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Reading your personal requirements I would no.

However, depending on what your are prepared to pay and whether you are able to install yourself, I think the benefits are well worth having. I installed my 100 watt panel including control box for approx £120 and have no regrets. If however you decide to use an installer then overall cost and suitability for your needs would be an issue.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Dead handy! Mine charges a stand alone battery and if the main one ever goes flat on me (which it has done several times) a quick swap around and I've got one fizzing away good for another couple of days.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have 200W of solar, 2x110ah batteries and a 2000W inverter and can last indefinitely without hookup so I would say yes.

I also don't own and have no intention of owning a genny ;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dead handy! Mine charges a stand alone battery and if the main one ever goes flat on me (which it has done several times) a quick swap around and I've got one fizzing away good for another couple of days.

why not connect to the main leisure battery ?

@landyman
no matter how little solar you have, it will extend the time the battery(s) lasts before it is 50% depleted.. ie flat.

and if you have enough to supply your daily needs, that extension during summer months is infinite ...

Last edited:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm very interested in solar panels myself it's just the expense that's putting me off at the mo, it seems to be the way forward though

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
why not connect to the main leisure battery ?

@landyman
no matter how little solar you have, it will extend the time the battery(s) lasts before it is 50% depleted.. ie flat.

and if you have enough to supply your daily needs, that extension during summer months is infinite ...

Because the way I do it I'm never without a full battery. It works a treat. I've never been caught short yet - always got a full one. If I connected the solar panel to the main leisure battery and it died on me I would always be wondering if the spare was ok or not whereas I always know with 100% certainty it will be bubbling away ready to go.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Gandhi can you please remove the or motivator it puts me off my dinner.
Thanks in anticipation.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I just upgraded from 120w too 280w, and have 2 125ah batteries and an mppt controller,
I run a compressor fridge freezer, lights and diesel heating water system (the diesel heater glow plug and fan take quite a bit of power),and tv,
with just the 120w panel it was great in full sun , but struggled a bit with overcast, where as 280w pulls in quite a bit even when cloudy, i love solar and think it is the way forward, quiet and efficient
pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back