DIY fitting of air assist (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Looks fairly simple. Any advice from people who have done it? How do you route the airline from the suspension to the garage? Do I need to drill the floor of the garage? Something to seal the hole around the airline tube? Burstner Lyseo 727. Any particular recommended kits. Lots on Ebay for around £260. ~(non compressor)

Any help/words of wisdom appreciated.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Have a look at EasyTop. Very easy to fit as it clamps onto the existing springs. Removal of U bolts is therefore not necessary.
I fitted my gauges in the footwell. If you do a search for EasyTop you will find some older posts as quite a few on here have fitted it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Looks fairly simple. Any advice from people who have done it? How do you route the airline from the suspension to the garage? Do I need to drill the floor of the garage? Something to seal the hole around the airline tube? Burstner Lyseo 727. Any particular recommended kits. Lots on Ebay for around £260. ~(non compressor)

i fitted a kit off fleabay but changed the pipework, the air bags and fixings are good quality but the basic kit has both air bags going to a T then to the pressure guage and air valve.

that needs to change as air can travel from side to side and thats not good. you need the air pressure / volume to be constant to each air bag.

so i replaced the T piece with double tap gauge and use a simple pump when needed. it really is an easy fit if its the std Fiat chassis,

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I jacked up the rear of vehicle, and then supported it on axle stands on the chassis, removed wheels. That way the axle drops down for easy installation. I undid all the bolts without a problem, but a breaker bar was needed. Anywhere I thought pipes would rub I put some split rubber hose around them, and used cable ties, lots of. I also fitted grommets where they entered. My pipes go to the front as I’ve got gauges in there with switches, as I’ve got the pump with the system.
It is really easy to fit, and just takes time to do a nice neat install.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I jacked up the rear of vehicle, and then supported it on axle stands on the chassis, removed wheels. That way the axle drops down for easy installation. I undid all the bolts without a problem, but a breaker bar was needed. Anywhere I thought pipes would rub I put some split rubber hose around them, and used cable ties, lots of. I also fitted grommets where they entered. My pipes go to the front as I’ve got gauges in there with switches, as I’ve got the pump with the system.
It is really easy to fit, and just takes time to do a nice neat install.

Just had a scrabble around this morning. I am used to doing jobs on both my cars. I have a couple of 2 ton trolley jacks and 4 axle stands. However, maybe I'm getting old. I really don't fancy it now.

It's a big heavy thing to jack up. Where do you jack/put axle stands anyway? It is possible to get under without jacking it up but again I don't really want to. I have ramps too -but not sure about reversing onto those.

I think I've become a wimp. I don't really even fancy changing a wheel on this. (not that we have a spare anyway)

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just had a scrabble around this morning. I am used to doing jobs on both my cars. I have a couple of 2 ton trolley jacks and 4 axle stands. However, maybe I'm getting old. I really don't fancy it now.

It's a big heavy thing to jack up. Where do you jack/put axle stands anyway? It is possible to get under without jacking it up but again I don't really want to. I have ramps too -but not sure about reversing onto those.

I think I've become a wimp. I don't really even fancy changing a wheel on this. (not that we have a spare anyway)
Use your leveling ramps on the back end, you can get away without removing the wheels, depending on what kit you get.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I done it over a friends pit and had use of windy guns, wouldn't like to do it lying on the ground and using a crap socket set.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Have a look on YouTube. Few videos on there to give you some ideas.

As said it's not that difficult, I did mine on the drive with the rear wheels just up on some Fiamma ramps.. lying on my back 2 months after a heart bypass 👍👍😁

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I also fitted mine without removing the wheels.
As per Tonka above, used ramps but I also used a jack to jack it up slightly,
just enough to take some weight off the wheel and open up the gap between the springs and chassis.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
i fitted a kit off fleabay but changed the pipework, the air bags and fixings are good quality but the basic kit has both air bags going to a T then to the pressure guage and air valve.

that needs to change as air can travel from side to side and thats not good. you need the air pressure / volume to be constant to each air bag.

so i replaced the T piece with double tap gauge and use a simple pump when needed. it really is an easy fit if its the std Fiat chassis,
I think it maybe the same one I fitted but I got 2 gauges and ran a seperate air line to each one.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp

Fairly simple if you are handy with a spanner. I ran mine to 2 gauges in the garage. Drilled 2 holes in the floor and sealed with CT1. kit off ebay but got an extra gauge and no compressor. No need to remove wheels just jacked up the chassis a bit to give enough clearance to remove the bump stops and fit the airbag. The type I got don't need the U bolts removed same as the Airtop type. The kit I bought off Ebay came with simple to follow instructions, the air bags are made by Rubena which get a good name. I was going to order from Airtop but the ordering process was too complicated.

Attachments

• 20200711_160405.jpg
    20200711_160405.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200711_142442.jpg
    20200711_142442.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun