DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Do you use disabled parking bays with your blue badge in your motorhome when out on the road? Would you park overnight in a disabled bay, assuming there are no restrictions signposted?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Even if I had every legitimate reason to park in one I still wouldn't, and I definately wouldn't overnight in one. It would send out the completely wrong message to joe public and give them yet another reason to moan about inconsiderate caravaners

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It all depends.
Although we use our Blue Badge all the time in our 6.9 Mt van and it's brilliant.
I don't like causing any obstruction and I'm happier if you can the Badge easily.
But - Yes I would - all things considered ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If not causing a nuisance or an obstruction and if I needed to use the disabled space (either if I wasn't well or in the now unlikely event my parents were with us in the MH) then yes, I would use a disabled space. We use the disabled spaces when I take my Mum shopping in the car.

Overnight - if necessary (eg if I was really poorly) then yes, otherwise I'd probably find somewhere else to park up and leave the disabled space for someone who needs it more.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What really winds me up is people ignoring the invalid signs and treating them a ordinary Very Good parking place.
Supermarkets are the worse because they are on private property and no one will enforce them.
It's mostly the younger idiots and and often asians that have no respect for us old dodderers.
My wife can't use regular parking bays now because she needs to be able the doors fully.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What really winds me up is people ignoring the invalid signs and treating them a ordinary Very Good parking place.
I need an "agree" button.

Also the people who "borrow" blue badges!!! I had to be very firm with my Mum when she wanted me to use hers when it would have been illegal (or at least inconsiderate) for me to do so.

When I took Mum and Dad to a medical appointment there were no disabled spaces so I stopped (safely) as near to the entry ramp as I could, put Dad into his wheelchair and got Mum pushing him (she can use the chair as a walker). I then moved the car and parked in a normal space with blue badge on show. I asked the traffic warden (on his rounds) if I needed a ticket, he said not. I pointed out my car and my Mum and Dad on their way down the ramp. He made haste to check the cars in the disabled spaces and started to write tickets and take photos. Plenty of space when I moved the car to pick Mum and Dad from the top of the ramp :).

I have sympathy with parents and young children as they also need extra space and to be near an entrance.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We use our Blue Badge in disabled spaces, mostly supermarkets, I get out grab a trolley, and TinaL uses it as a walker. I haven't had the guts to park & leave our 7.5mtr MH in a disabled spot yet, as I imagine most observers would think that we were abusing the facility, especially if it needed two parking bays. I know we have every right to use it, when needed, but I wouldn't want to return & find the van damaged in any way.

What angers us mostly are those people who use disabled spots just to be nearer the entrance of places, plus of course those who think disabled spots are a free for all in the evenings, because of course, we disabled, dont go out after cocoa at 6PM, do we?:mad:
LES

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Sue has a blue badge, and yes we do use disabled spaces when in the MH, but only when she is with me.
Never used any overnight though, but then again they are mainly in urban areas, and wouldn't want to sleep there anyway

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Supermarkets are the worse because they are on private property and no one will enforce them.
It's mostly the younger idiots and and often asians that have no respect for us old dodderers.
My wife can't use regular parking bays now because she needs to be able the doors fully.
I’m the same and need the doors fully open to get in and out. Last week we went to our local home bargains and the car in front of us pulled into the nearest available disabled bay to the door then got out and sprinted into the store as it was pouring down.
We parked further down and as we got to the trolley park there was a trolley attendant so I asked if they monitor the bays. He said they didn’t as such but if they saw someone using one without a badge they would ask them to move. He said he would hang around and see the lad when he came out and tell him he shouldn’t be using the bay without a badge.
As we walked towards the entrance there were 3 more parked in bays with no badge displayed. I would willingly give them my disability and badge if they gave me their mobility.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
If the signs are invalid then why not ignore them? 😂😂😂😂. Or are they signs for invalids. In which case does that make invalid signs valid?🤪🤪😱😱. Isn’t language great? Funny too. I love how it works.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I spy a pedant! ;)
620C58CA-0937-43FE-A5A0-EED2644B1D3E.jpeg

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
From 2006 I was and still am given black looks on occasion by our elderly members of society even though I myself turn 60 next year.
I think some assume you need to be elderly and have grey hair to qualify as being disabled. :unsure:

Another thing is when you park your Discovery or even worse Range Rover in a disabled bay, some looks suggest a Mercedes doesn't belong either..... :giggler:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I fully support the blue badge parking options, but I don’t like it when the badge holder appears to be the driver who then stays in the vehicle while able bodied passengers go shopping from closer to the door 🤔

This isn't allowed under the Blue badge scheme. If I'm driving and going to be sitting in the car waiting then I won't use. Disabled space. Only use it if I have to get out of the car. I have only used the blue badge twice whilst in the van both times in France. Both times to park in a disabled spot in an aire.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Both Brenda and I have blue badges for parking and have had problems over the years with wrinklies thinking we have no right to park in "their" parking spaces. We have also had run ins with shameless youngsters with absolutely no social conscience using disabled bays. The best I reported on here before, where a car full of youngsters raced me to the last disabled bay. I parked across the back of their car and went about my business. I didn't have to say much on my return as a young lady in the car was letting rip at their driver for me. The store manager and staff thought it a brilliant way to get the message across

Back on topic, YES I have used a blue badge to park the motorhome many times, but would not use it as a personal camping space like the chap that spends his summer in a disabled bay on Ayr beach every year

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
From 2006 I was and still am given black looks on occasion by our elderly members of society .
I used to get that - until they saw the wheelchair!

I once reported a white van parked in a disabled bay by phoning the number of the side of the van. It was a works van and I would have been happy to wait if they were unloading and had moved the van a few yards to an empty spot but after at least half an hour they hadn't re-appeared. So a phone call to their office - someone came out and shifted it. My daughter went into the space and the man came over with a face like thunder - so I asked very nicely if he would mind helping her with my wheelchair as it was rather heavy and cumbersome especially on the cobbles. He did and we got a very mumbled and shame faced apology.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I fully support the blue badge parking options, but I don’t like it when the badge holder appears to be the driver who then stays in the vehicle while able bodied passengers go shopping from closer to the door 🤔
As I understand it that’s invalid use of a badge. It’s to enable the holder, whether driving or being driven easier access to a location.
The same regulation would to my mind would prevent the badge being used overnight if the holder didn’t need to leave the vehicle

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think that if the driver is not the disabled person then the car should be moved to a "normal" space if practicable.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think that if the driver is not the disabled person then the car should be moved to a "normal" space if practicable.
I think that would be a step to far. What about all those disabled who need able bodied assistance once out of the car?

I do think that parking in a disabled space without a badge , and using a disabled badge fraudently should be made much more serious offences though.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
1633964671182.jpeg

I used too but only for short term while shopping or visiting for the day, I wouldn’t camp in one though or probably the night as there would be better place for the night…

Although saying that I have done in France parked for the night in one…🤔

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We use disabled bays with my blue badge & the camper. Dont think I would overnight in one, however.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Anyone else hear the term 'cashpoint cripple'?!

Thanks for all your input. On balance, in the right location and circumstances, I think I would overnight in a disabled bay. BUT may well prefer another location if possible.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think that would be a step to far. What about all those disabled who need able bodied assistance once out of the car?

I do think that parking in a disabled space without a badge , and using a disabled badge fraudently should be made much more serious offences though.

Moving the car after the disabled person has alighted is "where practicable" so if assistance was needed then no need to move the car. If an electric wheelchair involved and once the person with mobility issues has alighted (not all disabled people have mobility issues) then the car can / should be moved. I'm not saying moving the car is right or wrong it's just what I think I recall from the notes when the badges were issued. I'm pretty sure very few people do move.

And I agree about penalties for misuse of spaces and badges.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We have a blue badge for FIL and use it when either of us are driving him, we need extra space for FIL's wheelchair and often in car parks only the disable spaces are free for blue badge holders so we consider it totally valid to use whenever he is with us.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We have a blue badge for FIL and use it when either of us are driving him, we need extra space for FIL's wheelchair and often in car parks only the disable spaces are free for blue badge holders so we consider it totally valid to use whenever he is with us.

Exactly. It depends on what is practicable and what isn't.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
My daughter is quadriplegic and needs a wheelchair, when we travel in the MoHo this is kept in the garage as it is not fold able or collapsible. We have a wheelchair adapted vehicle (WAV) but is not avaible when we are in the MoHo. I do use the Blue Badge, paying respect to not placing my vehicle were it would affect other drivers etc. In car parks I take two spaces and often check if that is ok, in the end it all a matter of consideration for each other, and hopefully understanding of each others needs. I have met nasty people who have said awful things about my daughter but this is mainly when she is out and about in her wheelchair.

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
30 years on boats now MH now a chugger
Lucky you if you've got a Blue badge. I've been waiting over a year for a diagnosis for my degenerating mobility (probably MS) and without that can't even apply as it needs GP written support. I use a mobility scooter and walking stick and do sometimes use disabled spaces when there are several unoccupied. But no badge.

I am surprised how many Blue badge holders (or at least those displaying one) seem to sprint into the store making me jealous of their mobility...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back