Dilemma Dilemma Dilemma (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
What are the thoughts of the funster's on my three dilemmas going to get new van very soon (cnc) I know about the dos and don'ts so put them aside for now .
1, do I get alarm to satisfy insurance company so it is covered from day one with Phantom alarm
which can be fitted at home within days
2, do I get insurance that doesn't require any and go for a strikeback form vanbitz which would be fitted early May to mid May .
3, So van would only have immobiliser for best part of 8 weeks !! it would have wheel clamp and disklock and patriot seat lock at home but only disk and patriot when away.
All your thoughts are appreciated.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if it were me i would ( and do have the vanbitz strikeback system ) try telling the insurance it is booked in for the stikeback as soon as work can resume. they extended the normal 30 days to get it sorted a few weeks for me when i had mine done. but that was a few years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
My insurance required alarm etc... on asking further they were happy to insure me for all risks except theft with a confirmed fitting date.

(I slept in the van on the drive!)
Swmbo would not let me sleep in the van on the drive for 8 weeks!!!!!!

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We faced the same dilemma and opted for the Phantom alarm fitted by our dealer
Not ideal but times are difficult

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
We are in the same position- ended up getting the dealer to fit a tracker before we leave their premises, and we are getting the Vanbitz Growler in a few weeks. Insurance company gave a tiny discount for the extra alarm but were far more interested in the tracker. For our peace of mind, we are getting what seems to be the best alarm and a non starter immobiliser too. Not sure if we will continue with the tracker subs next year though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We faced the same dilemma and opted for the Phantom alarm fitted by our dealer
Not ideal but times are difficult
HI Robert, how do you find the Phantom alarm, i am still pondering as to which one i get either Phantom or strike back .

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Following discussion with our insurer and underwriter (CAMC), we settled on a Smar Track tracker, and they were ok with the Mercedes factory fitted alarm and immobiliser. Personally I wouldnā€™t do more than they require. We find the tracker useful as we keep the van in storage and can constantly monitor its position and state of charge foe the vehicle battery.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
HI Robert, how do you find the Phantom alarm, i am still pondering as to which one i get either Phantom or strike back .
Iā€™ve not taken delivery of the van from the dealer yet so canā€™t comment. Though funflair has had one fitted for a while now.

I did have a Growler in a previous van which was fine. The biggest difference between Growler and Phantom Vanguard as I understand it is that the Growler has external flashing LEDā€™s
There is also a difference in price and Phantom is fitted by local installers. I was planning to have a Growler in my new van but had to find an alternative as Vanbitz was closed.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

As Robert says we have the Phantom Sentinel Alarm/Tracker combo, I am sure that it is different to the VB system wireless vs wired for a start, I wasn't bothered about bright flashing LED's so the discreet Phantom suits me, on our IVECO chassis the alarm won't integrate with the original key fob or the touch screen entrance door so it is completely stand alone operation via a fob or the app, I use the app all the time so don't need to carry keys around with me.

All in all I am happy with it and so are our insurers ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
IMO the van should be ok with all the bits of security that you have, until you can get it booked in with Vanbitz.
When you get a fitting date inform the insurance company.

I would think that very few if any, get nicked off of drives.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What are the thoughts of the funster's on my three dilemmas going to get new van very soon (cnc) I know about the dos and don'ts so put them aside for now .
1, do I get alarm to satisfy insurance company so it is covered from day one with Phantom alarm
which can be fitted at home within days
2, do I get insurance that doesn't require any and go for a strikeback form vanbitz which would be fitted early May to mid May .
3, So van would only have immobiliser for best part of 8 weeks !! it would have wheel clamp and disklock and patriot seat lock at home but only disk and patriot when away.
All your thoughts are appreciated.

That sometimes helps our potential customers make a comparison.

Some times the dealers don't know any of the answers which of course answers the question.

If it is a standard Strikeback the differences are still there but not as glaring.

So the main questions to ask are do you intend to use bikes? because the "bike loop" is really useful for bikes and trailers. Standard on both our motorhome systems

Is the system going to be "plugped" into the OBDP? in which case insist it is hard wired and soldered.

Does it come with a couple of radio keys that can't be scanned or grabbed?

Is the warranty with the dealer? or the mobile fitters that they get in to install it? Not important now, but in three years time when you need a replacement alarm radio "Blipper" will you be "fobbed off" ( ;) :giggler: )

Or ask yourself "why" we have the waiting list when we don't advertise and haven't attended an outdoor show for years!

Don't forget your 10% Funsters discount making our standard installation Ā£540 for a full system!

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.

That sometimes helps our potential customers make a comparison.

Some times the dealers don't know any of the answers which of course answers the question.

If it is a standard Strikeback the differences are still there but not as glaring.

So the main questions to ask are do you intend to use bikes? because the "bike loop" is really useful for bikes and trailers. Standard on both our motorhome systems

Is the system going to be "plugped" into the OBDP? in which case insist it is hard wired and soldered.

Does it come with a couple of radio keys that can't be scanned or grabbed?

Is the warranty with the dealer? or the mobile fitters that they get in to install it? Not important now, but in three years time when you need a replacement alarm radio "Blipper" will you be "fobbed off" ( ;) :giggler: )

Or ask yourself "why" we have the waiting list when we don't advertise and haven't attended an outdoor show for years!

Don't forget your 10% Funsters discount making our standard installation Ā£540 for a full system!
Donā€™t forget the free campingšŸ˜šŸ˜

And the free F&M hamper for all fittings in JunešŸ‘

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
another dilemma which is more reliable Phantom or strike back, as it's a long way to go for repairs if needed to strike back as Phantom would come to me at home if needed , cos i need to make my mind up in the next couple of days as time is marching on.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Had my strikeback on this van for just over 9 years. And 3 years on a previous van ( not the same kit just both had strike back) I have not had any issues whatsoever and it has so far been flawless in operation.
So it is likely that you'll not need to go back for repair only fit another to your next van.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
To be honest if you haven't booked yet, I doubt if you will get an appointment with us early/mid May.

I will be going into the office tomorrow but I am pretty certain that we are booking end of May into June, and that is with the fitters doing extra days to get the waiting list down!

It may help you with your decision.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back