Differences between Spain and France? (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks, John, but that’s a bit like giving directions and saying “I wouldn’t start from here” :)

We may make our way south, possibly via Portugal, but for now we’ll give the north a try.

We have Kindle Unlimited, so I’m going to have a read of your book.

I might have been guilty of being a bit negative. The weather will be better than the UK. :)
The ACSI guides will identify sites open now, I'm sure there are a few. There are certainly aires, I would use CamperContact to find them but other websites are available. :)

If you can get to Galicia in the north-west I would recommend it. We plan to return there later next year. There are lots of opportunities for wild camping. @vwalan is the expert.

The aire at Cape Finistèrre, the most westerly point of mainland Spain is certainly worth a visit.

P4260147.JPG

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I might have been guilty of being a bit negative. The weather will be better than the UK. :)
And much better than Orkney :LOL:

I’ve identified a few sites that are open using the ACSI app to get us started.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The ACSI guides will identify sites open now, I'm sure there are a few. There are certainly aires, I would use CamperContact to find them but other websites are available. :)

If you can get to Galicia in the north-west I would recommend it. We plan to return there later next year. There are lots of opportunities for wild camping. @vwalan is the expert.

The aire at Cape Finistèrre, the most westerly point of mainland Spain is certainly worth a visit.

View attachment 198444
ideally in galecia just follow the coast gives great places .
brandomil is a good place by the roman bridge . water font . thats inland
but follow the coast keep taking every road closest to the sea .
some are a bit bumpy but a great adventure .
almost every village will welcome you.
but in the off seasons not summer . there is lots of spanish tourists then so wilding isnt so easy . but in the off seasons park dont have loads bits outside and its ok.
drive slow enjoy the journey.
just follow the sea all along the coast all the way from france to portugal . it really is fantastic , avoid the main roads . i use a mapamax map book . its spanish . much better than michelin maps . and shows all the little beach /coves names . visit them all. dont miss any .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
and when you finally get to portugal again follow the coast. even the small roads and some forest roads fantastic journey .nice inland as well but i love following the coast . aveiro to fig de foz mind blowing if right by the coast. then on again down to peniche turning right at every chance to the sea .

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The south coast between Javia and Malaga is hideous. High rise city. Think Blackpool/Benidorm with old folk drinking cheap sangria.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Spain is surprisingly rugged in the middle - it's easy to understand why the Spanish colonised much of America's wild west coast a few hundred years ago. You keep expecting Clint Eastwood to ride out of the heat haze on some of the high plains, and it's not unusual to see circling vultures. I was surprised to see snow refuges at regular intervals along the motorways to and from Madrid, but they're higher up than most. I drove past the highest spot on the M62 last night and the elevation's peanuts compared to parts of Spain.

We're not widely travelled in Spain but have driven from the French border to Seville, taking in a few places in between. We've also been along the Costa Verde and have been down to the Barcelona area. I'm not personally that keen on the 'look' of historic Spain - I don't go much on white buildings, shutters, ornate ironwork, Mediterranean coastal scenery and overblown Catholic cathedrals, but the Moorish sites like the Alhambra, Cordoba, and so on made it worth the mileage, and they also have painted prehistoric caves in the North. Obviously the climate's better too. Their smaller campsites can be a bit crowded and look a bit worn round the edges, but that's mainly in the high season. For us, France is first choice and Spain is somewhere else you go from time to time, a bit like Italy. Of the two Med countries I prefer Italy, but each to their own.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
even the small roads and some forest roads fantastic journey
But beware - some of those roads are abysmally bad. In our old B640 Starline - even though equipped with Airides - we had to go so slow that walkers were passing us!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, John, but that’s a bit like giving directions and saying “I wouldn’t start from here” :)

We may make our way south, possibly via Portugal, but for now we’ll give the north a try.

We have Kindle Unlimited, so I’m going to have a read of your book.
Another place to try is the Aire at Cabarceno just outside of Santander. Next to (and part of) a large Safari park. Walk around the corner and you can see the elephants. If it is open this time of year it is well worth a visit. You can drive through it in the motorhome and also use the cable cars to "fly" over the animals, all for the cost of 30Euros each.

And you must head for Portugal as well. Aires and campsites close enough to Lisbon and Oporto to be able to get in by public transport. And also visit the beautiful City of Coimbra, which has Portugal's oldest University. Nice car park Aire a 10 minute walk from the centre.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
But beware - some of those roads are abysmally bad. In our old B640 Starline - even though equipped with Airides - we had to go so slow that walkers were passing us!
all i can say is i go through with my mini artic . friends go with allsorts of m,homes , yes nice and slowly ,there is no rush.
walking pace is good for looking around . been through with teardrop caravan behind my old vw t2 years ago.
i say doesnt matter what ever the roads so many are rushing around they miss the real nice things in life.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
We are recently back from a 6 week tour of North West Spain, Picos etc. Loved it. Only every had a quick drive through so really enjoyed being able to spend time there. Worth giving it a go if you're in the general area anyway. Although not as many aires there are enough. Water and dumps were never a problem. Only spend a couple of days on a proper campsite (ACSI) as it was convenient and stunningly situated (Picos). Can't wait to go back.

Returning via a drive through France was a bit of a shock to the wallet. But France is charming too. Just pick up any of your booze in Spain and cart it back, the spirits and beer we purchased in Calais could have been bought cheaper in Dover. Shame but these things tend to go in cycles so it won't stay that way for long.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
You’ll find that, away from tourist areas, Spanish ‘timing’ is very different to France. Lunch therefore, a long leisurely affair, usually doesn’t get going till around 2.30, you’ll be on your own in the restaurant before then, if indeed it’s open. Evening meals don’t start till 8 and follow on entertainment wont start till 10pm or midnight.
Also, again away from tourist areas, towns and villages seem deserted between 2 and 5, good for sight seeing but poor for atmosphere.
I love French markets, Spanish ones that I’ve encountered so far are very poor in comparison, apart from fresh produce.
Whilst I agree with the comments about large parts of the coast being built up and unattractive, if you venture just a few miles inland you’ll more often than not find spectacular landscapes and quaint villages.
Hope the weather stays good for you and enjoy your perambulation of Spain and Portugal.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don’t have an “attitude”towards the French.

I try my best to communicate but don’t find them as friendly or accommodating as the Spanish.
Its because your foreign anyway

Walking up to the average Frenchman and speaking to him in Welsh was never going to work!

Also you object to the French as they always thrash you a rugby

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Its because your foreign anyway

Walking up to the average Frenchman and speaking to him in Welsh was never going to work!

Also you object to the French as they always thrash you a rugby
mind in brittany they might understand many of the words . bit like using cornish.
both do seem to work in northern spain /galecia and in areas of portugal by the coast.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
mind in brittany they might understand many of the words . bit like using cornish.
both do seem to work in northern spain /galecia and in areas of portugal by the coast.
Welsh actually is an international language, so does deserve the current Political effort to force it on so many indifferent people for the last couple of decades at enormous cost

I believe that it is spoken in Patagonia so extremely useful when travelling

To Patagonia :ROFLMAO:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
France is a wonderful country and the people we have always found to be great.We had four months in France this year and I am sure we will do four months again next year ,but if the prices keep going up as they have this year I'm afraid it will be Portugal and Spain for us lol.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The south coast between Javia and Malaga is hideous. High rise city. Think Blackpool/Benidorm with old folk drinking cheap sangria.

Apart from a couple of spots that you can drive through in a couple of minutes & aren't in anyway high rise the area & coast line is undeveloped from La Manga all the way to Almeria city.:)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Do attempt some Espanol, por favour! (the ! and the ? should precede and follow the sentence they apply to, upside down at the front and the normal way at the end - so when reading you know before you begin to read it that it's an exclamation or a question.)

The lady at the Spar in El Alqian taught me both 'huevos' - eggs and 'cerbollas' - onions as I'd previously had to have either 'seis point' or 'un kilo de point'. So I looked up to word for 'word' - 'palabra' - so next time I could say 'Senora - la palabra por point, por favour?' - and she grinned and told me. Got 'wave-oss' pretty much instantly (fancy 'hu' becoming 'w') but have to say 'thur-boe-yass' took an hilarious while to perfect.

And the butcher on Almeria market taught me and my sis 'medio' for half. We wanted a pound of beef mince and I suggested getting it from there specifically cos the dial of the scales were highly visible across the counter - and so we could point at 500 grams!

Constantly useful since, as I take a 38.5 sized shoe ..... and they USED to be far better quality and shedloads cheaper in Spain! LOL

A 'C' at the front of a word becomes a 'the' - so don't get asking for 'a beer' it's 'un cerveza'. Remember those onions? - 'Thur-vay'sa'. Easier to ask for un San Miguel really LOL

A 'G' at the front is a hard 'G' whereas in the middle of a word in becomes a j - as in a garage - 'un garaje' which you say 'Gar-rah-hay' cos the j is pronounced h.

If you see one R, pronounce it as two. If it has double R, pronounce it as at least 3 ! 'Un pero' - a dog is 'un perro'. LOL

All good fun - I become Hennyfair and a mate's husband, Geoffrey, is Haffray !

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Do attempt some Espanol, por favour! (the ! and the ? should precede and follow the sentence they apply to, upside down at the front and the normal way at the end - so when reading you know before you begin to read it that it's an exclamation or a question.)

The lady at the Spar in El Alqian taught me both 'huevos' - eggs and 'cerbollas' - onions as I'd previously had to have either 'seis point' or 'un kilo de point'. So I looked up to word for 'word' - 'palabra' - so next time I could say 'Senora - la palabra por point, por favour?' - and she grinned and told me. Got 'wave-oss' pretty much instantly (fancy 'hu' becoming 'w') but have to say 'thur-boe-yass' took an hilarious while to perfect.

And the butcher on Almeria market taught me and my sis 'medio' for half. We wanted a pound of beef mince and I suggested getting it from there specifically cos the dial of the scales were highly visible across the counter - and so we could point at 500 grams!

Constantly useful since, as I take a 38.5 sized shoe ..... and they USED to be far better quality and shedloads cheaper in Spain! LOL

A 'C' at the front of a word becomes a 'the' - so don't get asking for 'a beer' it's 'un cerveza'. Remember those onions? - 'Thur-vay'sa'. Easier to ask for un San Miguel really LOL

A 'G' at the front is a hard 'G' whereas in the middle of a word in becomes a j - as in a garage - 'un garaje' which you say 'Gar-rah-hay' cos the j is pronounced h.

If you see one R, pronounce it as two. If it has double R, pronounce it as at least 3 ! 'Un pero' - a dog is 'un perro'. LOL

All good fun - I become Hennyfair and a mate's husband, Geoffrey, is Haffray !

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ha! I too am a Hennyfair! Absolutely agree with you, have a stab at the words, and if in doubt, ask how to say things. Always causes great hilarity and breaks any ice there may be. Don’t be afraid to have a go, if you don’t want to use a phrase book or dictionary Google translate will give you words and also tell you how to pronounce things.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wine - France
Fuel & Toll Costs - Spain
Eating Out - Spain
Supermarkets - Spain
People - Spain
Campsites - France
Aires - France

I agree on Aires but I think Spain trumps France on everything else.

Campsites are down to personal taste ( as is wine) but I hate French sites. Spanish sites are a bit noisier but a lot friendlier.

I went to one site in France a few years back and I really fancied steak and chips at the on site restaurant. Steak was on the menu but with different potatoes so I asked if I could have chips.

“No sorry Monsier ve do not serve chips.”

My reply was “ Why then Monsieur are chips on the children’s menu?”

Summed it up for me - difficult and obstructive.

I eventually got what I asked for.

The steak was crap by the way:rolleyes:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
S Not that many campsites open late November(y)

Depends where in Spain - South East, South and South West Spain loads & loads of sites (in fact the majority) stay open all year especially those on or near the coast - the further North then by & large the fewer sites open in the Winter - particularly the inland Sites :)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I don't do any languages not even English;) Ok maybe a smattering of Cornish but fluent in Devonian (They seem to think my accent is American & not that bright, no harm there:whistle:)never had a problem on the continent. only ventured into Spain once though, Catalunya MotoGp found everyone helpful & friendly. Just enjoy (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back