Differences between Spain and France? (1 Viewer)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve been touring France for over two months now, using a mix of aires and sites, eating out two or three times a week, shopping mainly at Carrefour, L’Eclerc and Super U. We speak enough French to get by. We are petrol-engined and have a tank for LPG for heating and cooking (with all the required adapters). We think we have pretty much got the hang of France and are enjoying it immensely.

We are now in SW France approaching the border with Spain, and although we didn’t plan it, we’ve decided we may as well go and see what northern Spain is like. We speak almost no Spanish at all.

We would be grateful for any tips and suggestions about what we will find different in Spain (we already know that most things are apparently cheaper than France). The kind of things I’m thinking of are driving, shopping, eating out, and stopping at sites, but any advice will be gratefully received. At this point, Spain feels very much an unknown, rather like France did before we got here.

Muchas Gracias!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Muchas Gracias

Your half way there...;)

Same as when you went to France, you’ll learn enough to get by... as always first greeting with the usual hello, yes, no, and thank you in spanish of course will go a long way...(y)

Have a great time..

Reactions: f6c

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Er indoors loves Mercadona for shopping. Eating out is very cheap and we have never been disappointed!
The minute you say Por Favor or Gracias (please and thank) you they know you are a furriner!
Spain is great if, in my view you avoid the Benidorms! Get inland a bit to the real Spain!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Aires. They are there in theory but nothing like France. We've traced a few to places we wouldn't park let alone stay overnight.

But campsites are usually up to standard and loads of them.

It's a hell of a country for sights. Going west from Granada there are places with cave dwellers and looking like Mars.

The sites the Moors left are seriously beautiful. The Alhambra is Number One.

The Picos rival the Alps for mountain scenery.

Or you head for Gibraltar and have a look at Africa, it's surprisingly close.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We noticed this year France is far more expensive than the UK,things seem to have gone up quickly .Lots of the food and wine is now is cheaper in the UK .So you will find things much cheaper in Spain.lol

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Spanish folk are great as are the French. Having lived in France for more than five years we find the French helpful and friendly! Perhaps down to our attitude to them!

I don’t have an “attitude”towards the French.

I try my best to communicate but don’t find them as friendly or accommodating as the Spanish.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Spain is a very friendly country with lovely people give it a try. Menu De Dia 12Euros Enjoy.
ps Not that many campsites open late November(y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I’ll have a beer,
it’s the universal language that most people understand..
If you can manage a few more words of the local lingo it’s a bonus:):)

Been around the world and it has never failed me..

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
ps Not that many campsites open late November(y)
Yes, thought that would be the case, same as in France. The excellent Aires in France make up for that (we’re currently on the superb aire at Gastes), if aires in Spain are not so good that may be a problem.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes, thought that would be the case, same as in France. The excellent Aires in France make up for that (we’re currently on the superb aire at Gastes), if aires in Spain are not so good that may be a problem.

Aires in Spain as certainly not as good or as plentiful as France. There has been some improvement in past couple of years and village ones have popped up. As you get near the southern coast they are mostly private owned and can cost almost as much as a campsite for a lot less space and features.. BUT like all adventures it's worth a try..
This may help with locations.
Link Removed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are plenty of Aires in Spain but nowhere near as many as in France. Use Campercontact app to find them.

A couple to recommend are in the Cities of Burgos and Leon. Both interesting Cities with a genuine Spanish feel. Both Aires are close enough to be able to walk into the City centre.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Eating out 2 or 3 times a week in France, you must be well healed.:) It used to be cheap but no more however for the same budget you should be able to eat out 4 to 5 times a week in Spain.
Once you are away from the holiday resorts Spain is a fabulous country, bear in mind most of spain away from the coast is mountainous and will be starting to get cold.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Eating out 2 or 3 times a week in France, you must be well healed.:) It used to be cheap but no more however for the same budget you should be able to eat out 4 to 5 times a week in Spain.
Once you are away from the holiday resorts Spain is a fabulous country, bear in mind most of spain away from the coast is mountainous and will be starting to get cold.

I agree.

When I try to compare the two countries I just can’t.

Cost, niceness, friendliness and attitude.

#nocontest.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Eating out 2 or 3 times a week in France, you must be well healed.:)
When we eat out, we tend to eat at lunchtime and have the menu du jour, typically about 20 to 25 quid for the two of us.

However, we are now retired, have just sold our house, and we are now enjoying ourselves after many years of hard work, so the cost is largely irrelevant.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We call Spain "Big Sky Country" because almost everywhere you drive through there will be lots of sky - and mainly blue at that. (Perhaps not as much in northern Spain.)
The mountains throughout the country will also astound. Large Plains with imposing mountains in the distance are an unbeatable sight for the traveller. Nowhere else like it in western Europe we think. Hence we return year after year.
Do try and venture inland, the scenic variety as you travel through will truly impress.
Buen viaje!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Love the French dwellers justifying their mistake on this thread.

I can’t believe anyone would buy in France myself

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,as a sweeping generalisation,you’ll find it hotter,cheaper,and just as interesting.
Just enjoy it!
And if you at least try the lingo,the locals will appreciate that,exactly like the French do. In my experience,which involves having owned a house in France for 15 years,there is a lot of rubbish said about the attitude of French people. We found them polite,courteous,well mannered and helpful.
And I’m sure you’ll find the same in Spain!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I love Northern Spain but I wouldn't choose to go there now. Virtually all the campsites will be closed. There are aires but as already pointed out not like the numbers you get in France and the quality is a bit variable.
Spain is great but at this time of year I would head south. You don't have to go to Benidorm - though that has its attractions. :)

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I love Northern Spain but I wouldn't choose to go there now.
Thanks, John, but that’s a bit like giving directions and saying “I wouldn’t start from here” :)

We may make our way south, possibly via Portugal, but for now we’ll give the north a try.

We have Kindle Unlimited, so I’m going to have a read of your book.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back