Differences between Spain and France? (2 Viewers)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Have yet to find a reasonably edible steak in France. :(

Richard.

Nor me. I have given up on that one.

The French obviously enjoy tough sinewy steaks

Reactions: f6c

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - we take Tesco's finest sirloin steaks, the ones they vacuum pack so they don't go watery when you thaw them. We have had some success with rib-eyes occasionally when our eldest is shopping with us - being a chef she's like a native in food shops and inspects, prods, chucks it back and eventually sighs and says Think we'll have chicken for tea instead!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We’ve been touring France for over two months now, using a mix of aires and sites, eating out two or three times a week, shopping mainly at Carrefour, L’Eclerc and Super U. We speak enough French to get by. We are petrol-engined and have a tank for LPG for heating and cooking (with all the required adapters). We think we have pretty much got the hang of France and are enjoying it immensely.

We are now in SW France approaching the border with Spain, and although we didn’t plan it, we’ve decided we may as well go and see what northern Spain is like. We speak almost no Spanish at all.

We would be grateful for any tips and suggestions about what we will find different in Spain (we already know that most things are apparently cheaper than France). The kind of things I’m thinking of are driving, shopping, eating out, and stopping at sites, but any advice will be gratefully received. At this point, Spain feels very much an unknown, rather like France did before we got here.

Muchas Gracias!
You will notice the weather is much better if you venture south down The Med,,Plus food and drink is so much cheaper,,BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Spain is a very friendly country with lovely people give it a try. Menu De Dia 12Euros Enjoy.
ps Not that many campsites open late November(y)
Thats an expensive one,,More like ( euros here in Benicasim,,BUSBY,,

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have a very good menu del dia in a mountain bar/restaurant for €8 including drinks, €9 in mountain village and €11 near the town. Take your pick!

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You will notice the weather is much better if you venture south down The Med
We’re not too concerned about the weather - we live in Orkney, so anything is going to be an improvement on a winter there, and we don’t like it too warm anyway. Anything around 20C is getting a bit too hot for us. I understand it might get a bit rainy, though...

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We’re not too concerned about the weather - we live in Orkney, so anything is going to be an improvement on a winter there, and we don’t like it too warm anyway. Anything around 20C is getting a bit too hot for us. I understand it might get a bit rainy, though...

Rainy?? We wish! The farmers are doing :party2: or similar rain dance here hoping and praying for some rain.

Of course the first spots of rain and the tourists will complain!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The main difference I find between France and Spain is that Spain has more Spanish people in it...

And a lot more Brits - which is a bonus or a malus depending on your view on Brits.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Rainy?? We wish! The farmers are doing :party2: or similar rain dance here hoping and praying for some rain.
Ah, I hadn’t realised that Northern Spain was also suffering a drought. That’s bound to end on Tuesday, when we get there!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ah, I hadn’t realised that Northern Spain was also suffering a drought. That’s bound to end on Tuesday, when we get there!

Ooops, sorry we're south east Spain.

BUT

We do get water from the north via a canal system so more up there gives us more down here.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

If I were you, I would go down to southern Spain and enjoy the amazing variety of scenery, architecture and some warmth (currently less than 20oC) without the crowds - go to the Alhambra in Granada, Seville etc. I would save northern Spain for when it is sunny. We love Spain but sunshine makes a big difference to our enjoyment.

How much time do you have?

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
How much time do you have?
Well, the motorhome will need an MOT in September, so we really ought to be back in the U.K. by then :)

We may yet decide to go south first, we’ll see how it goes.

One thing though, aren’t all the sites down that way full now, with all the winter sunseekers?

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Re campsites, we never go near the coastal ones, we prefer inland in the hills or mountains and have never found a full one yet. Quite the opposite.

If you like cities, or even if you don't, and we don't, Valencia is worth a look. Stop at Valencia Camper Park, get the Metro (VCP will sell you tickets & give advice) the station is 5 minutes away, get off at Turia and walk (or jog) down the Turia Gardens and see some fantastic modern architecture and then go to the beach. The indoor market is also fantastic.

If you're heading to Portugal try Extremadura. There's a campsite at Monfrague and go to Villarreal de san Carlos, an old village, and see the vultures at the big rock or climb to the castle with the vultures whistling around your ears. The old centre of Caceres is interesting and you can walk from the campsite or get a bus.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well, the motorhome will need an MOT in September, so we really ought to be back in the U.K. by then :)

We may yet decide to go south first, we’ll see how it goes.

One thing though, aren’t all the sites down that way full now, with all the winter sunseekers?

A cousin of mine has traveled to Portugal for the last two years and hasn't had any problems finding campsites to stay on - the monthly deals are only slightly more expensive than staying there for a week.

We've traveled around the SE of Spain over the last 2 Christmases & Easters and have found many sites with spaces (the part of SE Spain that we have been to is between Malaga & Gibraltar). It seems that the posh / expensive ones are the ones that have fewer spaces. We haven't traveled by mh but by car and visited the campsites as part of our planning for the future.

If we had another 10 months, we would go down the west coast of Spain into Portugal. If the weather isn't great, we would go to Morocco and return to Spain in April and drive up through Spain during the Spring and explore the Sierra Nevada region around Granada and head through the middle of Spain to the Picos & Pyrenees before spending the summer in N Spain or France.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

Of course the first spots of rain and the tourists will complain!
It's not rained here since May.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
In Northern Spain yes,,Rain is famous,,On the med unusual,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
A cousin of mine has traveled to Portugal for the last two years and hasn't had any problems finding campsites to stay on - the monthly deals are only slightly more expensive than staying there for a week.

We've traveled around the SE of Spain over the last 2 Christmases & Easters and have found many sites with spaces (the part of SE Spain that we have been to is between Malaga & Gibraltar). It seems that the posh / expensive ones are the ones that have fewer spaces. We haven't traveled by mh but by car and visited the campsites as part of our planning for the future.

If we had another 10 months, we would go down the west coast of Spain into Portugal. If the weather isn't great, we would go to Morocco and return to Spain in April and drive up through Spain during the Spring and explore the Sierra Nevada region around Granada and head through the middle of Spain to the Picos & Pyrenees before spending the summer in N Spain or France.
The monthly deals are always much cheaper,,,

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Just to reiterate, there are spaces in the campsites away from the coast, or those on the coast which are only offering ‘scenery’! Plenty of spaces this week at Camping Javea (although this does have some activities), Camping Los Escullos on Cabo de Gata (fabulous site in really attractive area), and further north at Ribamar, Alcossebre.
Use your ACSI book and check out the reviews and you’re sure to find places. I’ve been dropping an email to places a day or so before we want to visit just to be sure we don’t make a wasted journey. Staff seem puzzled that I’m bothering!!
We’re on our way north now, wishing, like you, that we were setting out for Spain.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
And I mustn’t forget Pinar San José at Zahora, súper site in a great location. There are some activities laid on here, but you can avoid easily, and great music from the regular overwinterers.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our first day in Spain, at Gran Camping Zarautz, just west of San Sebastián. Excellent site, great views from our pitch, and the staff here are very friendly and helpful.

And the site Bar/Restaurant is actually open at this time of year! Had the 11 Euro 3-course meal (including a bottle of local cider) and was very pleased that it wasn’t just cheap, it was also very good food. The barman was very patient and helpful in explaining all the dishes to us (and gave us a bit of Spanish lesson at the same time). Spain is looking very good so far...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our first day in Spain, at Gran Camping Zarautz, just west of San Sebastián. Excellent site, great views from our pitch, and the staff here are very friendly and helpful.

And the site Bar/Restaurant is actually open at this time of year! Had the 11 Euro 3-course meal (including a bottle of local cider) and was very pleased that it wasn’t just cheap, it was also very good food. The barman was very patient and helpful in explaining all the dishes to us (and gave us a bit of Spanish lesson at the same time). Spain is looking very good so far...
Don't often get offered Spanish lessons in the Basque country!

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
I’ve being visiting France for the last few years and the country has been stunningly beautiful.
I love their long leisurely lunch break and the attitude that you work to live, not the other way round.
I find they have a great sense of humour and love to have a laugh and a joke with you, and are very laid back which can be mistaken for arrogance. They are quite formal at times and you have to understand about French greetings.Some of the best food I’ve had has been in France and I do like to eat what the French eat, not tourist fayre.

When I crossed into Spain for the first time and stopped at Salamanca at a great free aire there I was taken aback by the noise- it was freshers week and the city was very lively , otherwise I didn’t find the Spanish much different to the French .

When I crossed into Portugal I was taken aback Nay shocked by how scruffy the service stations were .Some minor roads were poor and everything isn’t as “ pristine “ as France.
As for the people- nicest most helpful people I’ve ever met - love them.Language isn’t easy and I was surprised by how different it was to Spanish - duh-
Really glad I came to Portugal- I’ll be back-particularly as I now understand how to pay the tolls
The shops hardly ever close here with supermarkets being open late on sundays.
Still working my way through Portuguese local food- I’m told the pork and clams is great.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
ideally in galecia just follow the coast gives great places .
brandomil is a good place by the roman bridge . water font . thats inland
but follow the coast keep taking every road closest to the sea .
some are a bit bumpy but a great adventure .
almost every village will welcome you.
but in the off seasons not summer . there is lots of spanish tourists then so wilding isnt so easy . but in the off seasons park dont have loads bits outside and its ok.
drive slow enjoy the journey.
just follow the sea all along the coast all the way from france to portugal . it really is fantastic , avoid the main roads . i use a mapamax map book . its spanish . much better than michelin maps . and shows all the little beach /coves names . visit them all. dont miss any .
I am interested Inwhat you have to say here.:)
Don’t mean to hijack the thread but I’m in the algarve at the moment - carvoiera - and have to return via Lisbon in a while but would then like to visit Spain ( early December)
I missed the alantejo coastal area and the vicentine coast due to uncertainty about the wildfires :(and would like to travel back up the coast to Lisbon area.
Any tips?
One thing I was very nervous about on the way down was when I drove through the Pyrenees . I didn’t like the tunnels and the bridges spanning the mountains :eek: er.. can I avoid that too

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I am interested Inwhat you have to say here.:)
Don’t mean to hijack the thread but I’m in the algarve at the moment - carvoiera - and have to return via Lisbon in a while but would then like to visit Spain ( early December)
I missed the alantejo coastal area and the vicentine coast due to uncertainty about the wildfires :(and would like to travel back up the coast to Lisbon area.
Any tips?
One thing I was very nervous about on the way down was when I drove through the Pyrenees . I didn’t like the tunnels and the bridges spanning the mountains :eek: er.. can I avoid that too
all i can say is follow the sea . .there are bumpy roads . you go under or see loads of m,way bridges . very often a few different roads over the ages going the same way. take your pick.
in winter rough seas and wind can be a nuisance . rain as well . but when the sun shines its great.
you could be on the med and flooded out . google floods in spain .. last winter the med was flooded a few times . malaga in late feb was horrific .
but take your time follow the sea . france, spain portugal. where ever ,i just love being by the sea .

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, :) I ’m keeping an eye on weather forecasts as we speak. I did see a weather warning that warned that because of the lack of rain here to be extra careful on some roads if there were any torrential downpours ( had a rare one last night) as the roads are so dry rain isn’t necessarily draining off like it should and I now know that alentejo can be rainy sometimes.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks, :) I ’m keeping an eye on weather forecasts as we speak. I did see a weather warning that warned that because of the lack of rain here to be extra careful on some roads if there were any torrential downpours ( had a rare one last night) as the roads are so dry rain isn’t necessarily draining off like it should and I now know that alentejo can be rainy sometimes.
Being a hardy Peaker,you will be fine. You can always stop and wait for the bad weather to pass,have a cup of tea,or a Fray Bentos pie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back