DFDS Newhaven - Dieppe - Catering. (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Just sat in the boarding lanes, and got chatting to another Funster by the name of BlueMoon. Having used this crossing before, he too confirmed the quality of the grub, ie, sh1te. :rofl:

dalspa. What on earth has being Scots, got to do with buying sh1te grub on the Ferry, (or not, as appears to be the case judging by most replies)? :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Perhaps its a generalisation left over by the infamous deep fried Mars bar :wink:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The smorgasbord was on the ferry that ran from Ramsgate to Dunkirk for a few years in the 1980s. Swedish company, but can't remember the name. Used it once when we took the caravan over to France when the kids were young.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Sally line ferries used them a lot in the 19s brilliant food and used to get bonus points for future crossings.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It’s a Ferry feeding lots of people at the same time give or take, l think of canteen food and if it’s fresh and hot it’s okay for me and they hardly charge a fortune.
Well your not going to get Al a carte menu for sausage money now are you 👍 but some may expect that being motorhomers 🙂

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
you bought a glass and drank as much as you wanted,,
The new KFC that has opened here supplies you with the glass&plastic beaker for pepsi, orange ,lemon, beer ,etc which is outside in the customer area.You pay for one but it doesn't appear they realise most are continually refilling their cups.
most people seemed to get food as soon as they got on the ship .
Returning From Dover to Dunkirk in 2022 I got to the top of the stairs & to the left was a queue :Two members of the crew there so I asked what It was for .
"food in the restaurant, was the reply":oops:" don't worry you've nearly 2 hours to eat":doh:
We walked past the queue to get a seat & there was around 140 people in it. I waited 50 minutes before joining,when it had reduced to about 30.Never ever seen that before?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I thought one of the reasons for a MH was it allowed one to self-cater.

A poster above quoted £10+ for breakfast. We were staying at a hotel in Malta for Christmas and breakfast was €40 pp. Fortunately we were on a deal that included the breakfast, and it was wall-to-wall menu, cold and hot, from short-order chef or from the kitchen, orange juice and coffee topped up on a wave of the finger from very friendly and professional staff. We never ate lunch.

Just what one expects from a real 5* hotel. Well worth every €.

French Charlie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Unable to find anywhere decent to dine, during our short visit into Newhaven, can we enquire with "those in the know", what is the food like in the restaurant, onboard the ferry please?

Thanks in advance.

Jock & Rita. :)
Dining on board is OK ferry fare. Nothing remarkable, nothing to get worked up about. Just opposite the ferry port at the entrance to the high street is a lovely little Italian restaurant. I was on the night sailing; too early to board, too late to find much open. They whipped me up a meal at short notice and it was delicious. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Jul 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Tempo
Dining on board is OK ferry fare. Nothing remarkable, nothing to get worked up about. Just opposite the ferry port at the entrance to the high street is a lovely little Italian restaurant. I was on the night sailing; too early to board, too late to find much open. They whipped me up a meal at short notice and it was delicious. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
It’s the https://www.padelladoro.co.uk/

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
We always get to Newhaven early enough to self cater or eat somewhere in town.
The Hope Inn on the other side of the estuary let us stay in the car park for the night after we dined there that evening.
If planning that bear in mind it's not a very big car park though....

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Hope Inn on the other side of the estuary let us stay in the car park for the night after we dined there that evening.
If planning that bear in mind it's not a very big car park though....
They allow MHs by arrangement on Mondays to Thursdays only, otherwise we would have used it ourselves on the Friday for dinner, and Saturday lunchtime. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is the car park further along from the Hope Inn on the quay still open? I understand that you could overnight on it for £10.
Best to check..........

Newhaven Hope Inn map b.jpg

1709498074424.png

1709499163691.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Is the car park further along from the Hope Inn on the quay still open? I understand that you could overnight on it for £10.
I don't know Lenny. When I couldn't pre book the Hope Inn, we just stayed over in the Terminal car park by arrangement. A £5 charge if not on a booked sailing.

Cheers,

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I don't know Lenny. When I couldn't pre book the Hope Inn, we just stayed over in the Terminal car park by arrangement. A £5 charge if not on a booked sailing.

Cheers,

Yes, I should have added that we have simply parked up at the terminal CP when arriving late for a morning crossing. It was surprisingly calm given the roads and train station alongside.

Feb 7, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Burstner 585 time
Exp
Since 2014
Unable to find anywhere decent to dine, during our short visit into Newhaven, can we enquire with "those in the know", what is the food like in the restaurant, onboard the ferry please?

Thanks in advance.

Jock & Rita. :)
A couple of nice restaurants in Seaford park on the sea front and walk into the town.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Today we went down to Newhaven to recce where to park for our ferry trip in a couple of weeks. And funsters need to know that things have changed at the West Beach Promenade car park, which is after you drive pass the Hope Inn. The sign saying motorhomes can overnight for £10 has now gone. Instead it now says that there can be no campers, motorhomes, overnighting or vehicles over 2m at all on the West Beach car park. And the height barrier is now fixed in place. :(

But the good news is that we can heartily recommend the Italian restaurant just over the river from the port, which had been recommended by a funster in another post. Very friendly, and really good fresh home made Italian food. It's called Padella D'Oro. So if you are parked in the queue for the ferry feeling hungry and you have enough time eating there would be a much better option than ferry food. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back