Descaling the boiler (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Before heading out at the start of the week, I had to refill the van tanks, and when re pressurising the system, I noticed the bathroom tap was excessively scaled. This must mean that the boiler is also very scaled. In fact whilst taking a shower one morning, I ran out of hot water!

So I am going to descale the system. Currently it is totally empty, I shall visit Lidl and buy tonnes of white vinegar, but what is the procedure, who has done it?
I figure, I pour tonnes of white vinegar into the fresh tank, prime the system and leave it for 30 minutes or so. Dump the boiler and repeat until the vinegar is gone. Then flush the fresh tank so it is clean and refill.
Am I right or wrong?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Never done a van boiler but we have to descale the water boiler in the awning (Tea Urn) with white vinegar (500ml) at least twice a season, Just leave it boiling for a couple of hours & its completely clean, boil with clean water then rinse job done
s-l1600.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We were talking about this the other day. I was told i am wasting my time as 60 degrees is not hot enough to scale the boiler! Hmmmmm

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We were talking about this the other day. I was told i am wasting my time as 60 degrees is not hot enough to scale the boiler! Hmmmmm
The tap in our bathroom was so severely scaled that there was only one jet open. I took the head apart and descaled that using cilit bang. It was then that I thought, if the tap is scaled, then logic dictates that the boiler is also very scaled! Anyway, it can't hurt to give the system a clean through, especially at this time of the year when we are regularly dumping the tanks in case of a freeze up.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
The tap in our bathroom was so severely scaled that there was only one jet open. I took the head apart and descaled that using cilit bang. It was then that I thought, if the tap is scaled, then logic dictates that the boiler is also very scaled! Anyway, it can't hurt to give the system a clean through, especially at this time of the year when we are regularly dumping the tanks in case of a freeze up.

I agree!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Descaling the boiler on the van is just one thing on a longish list of things I am going to get round to one day. I remember reading somewhere that citric acid is the stuff to use, I bought a decent size pack of it from Amazon for £4.73, might be worth considering instead of white vinegar.

Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
the taps scale up as the water drys out on the ends leaving the scale behind doesnt mean the boiler is scaled
That's my thought too ... taps at home get scaled a bit at times but we never descale the boiler, pipes etc do we and it works fine for years ...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We descsled our boiler after it's first 12 months.
Bought 10 litres of white vibegar off EBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182089708949

Drained the boiler and cold water tank.
Added the vinegar to the tank, plus a further 10 litre of fresh water, then drew the water into the boiler and left overnight.
The following morning I added more fresh water to the tank and ran the contents of boiler slowly through all the taps to descale them too.
Worked a treat, and improved water heater performance no end.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I usually put about 3 Lt of white wine vinigar in the fresh tank and about 10lt of water. Draw of via hot taps until boiler full then heat it leave it for a few hours. Then thoughly flush through.
I use white wine vinegar as this is what Truma used to recommend before they brought out their own product. Always stock up in France as only about 25p a Lt, use it for descaling kettles etc., at home.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Has anyone had the same difficulty getting Large amounts of white wine vinegar?. It`s available in small quantities OK, BUT is very costly in the volume needed for a proper De-scale?. Bulk? where?. Other than Online?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Has anyone had the same difficulty getting Large amounts of white wine vinegar?. It`s available in small quantities OK, BUT is very costly in the volume needed for a proper De-scale?. Bulk? where?. Other than Online?
Pete, any Cash & Carry sells it in 4 or 5 ltr containers, for around £3 a go. (y)

I remove the pump from the fresh water tank, place it in a bucket of 70/30 vinegar/water mix, and fill the boiler direct. After a few hours, I drain off and flush through.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I have the Truma 4 combi and purchased some citric acid powder with the intention of descaling the boiler. I'm not sure how to apply it directly to the tank, if that's possible? Guess it needs to be added to the fresh water tank and pumped in the normal way?

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Vinegar is cheap here so we arrange with the farmer to drive through his large sheep wash - it descales every thing :cry:
upload_2017-1-15_11-53-15.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Thanks Jock. That method seems to require some competent level of DIY skill which I don't have!

Truma say the descaler can be fed into the device via the water inlet. They also instruct that the water should be heated to 60C using gas, not electric.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Pete, any Cash & Carry sells it in 4 or 5 ltr containers, for around £3 a go. (y)

I remove the pump from the fresh water tank, place it in a bucket of 70/30 vinegar/water mix, and fill the boiler direct. After a few hours, I drain off and flush through.

Cheers,

Unfortunately not hereabouts!. I went to Booker/Makro. And they have none, Costo, do not carry it either.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Unfortunately not hereabouts!. I went to Booker/Makro. And they have none, Costo, do not carry it either.
:( It does surprise me that Bookers don't do it, being a major supplier to the catering trade. :eek:
Hyperama sell it, and without a minimum spend. ;)

Cheers,

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

No such place round here, Just Bookers and Makro. the Costo I went to was in Hampshire. I even tried the Chinese Cash and carry in (Kingston Upon) Hull,

Just ordered 1kg of citric acid in powered form, Off Flea bay!, will see if that works.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just ordered 1kg of citric acid in powered form, Off Flea bay!, will see if that works.
A worthy alternative Peter. (y)

If you don't mind me asking, how much, and a link for others please? (y)

Cheers,

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As I've detailed before the procedure to descale the entire system is simple and well worthwhile doing, We did a friends motorhome just before Christmas and there were chunks of limescale coming out of the hot tap 2-3 mm across. Add 2-3 litres of vinegar to your fresh tank then fill it up with water from a clean supply. Drive it around a little to mix it up. Run the taps till you can smell vinegar at all of them, hot and cold. Run the water heater for 10 mins then allow to cool for a few hours. Give it a second ten minute run then leave to cool again. The longer you leave the vinegar in the system the better chance it has to clean and descale everything. Run all the water out of the system via the taps, this helps to clean the pipes and taps themselves, if you close the outlet of your waste tank and collect the vinegar solution in there it will also help to clean that out. Once the tank is empty refill it with clean water and flush everything through the taps. Repeat the final step till no vinegar smell is evident at the taps. Job done!

D.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A word of Warning!. If you have the Aldi Heaters. The vessels are Stainless Steel. Stainless Steel can be affected by CHLORINE. Do not under any circumstances use a chlorine based cleaner or sanitiser in the Water system. This applies to any "Stainless" vessel used to hold water for extended periods.

There is a background to this. In the 80`s there was a major Leigonella outbreak in the UK. in fact several. After investigation it was blamed on poor maintenance of Air Con units, and or keeping stored water at temperatures under 60 degrees F. The prescribed "cure" was increasing the levels of Chlorine in the Evaporators and condensers of Air con Units. and holding "Hot" water above 60F. In subsequent years I was involved with "Claims" due to failures of very expensive units, research showed that the vast majority of failed units where Stainless vessels made from NON resistant SS. It is UNLIKELY that Aldi would use the vastly more expensive, "resistant" SS in the Boilers.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@PeteH. That is probably the same reason why Truma advise, that no chemical agents, and only white wine vinegar (or similar) be used to descale their stainless steel boilers.

Cheers,

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
@PeteH. That is probably the same reason why Truma advise, that no chemical agents, and only white wine vinegar (or similar) be used to descale their stainless steel boilers.

Cheers,

I would suspect that is Exactly why.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back