Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The boiler in our van was playing up a bit, water not getting hot when on hookup etc so I looked into descaling it.

The Truma website says:

Does my Combi water tank need to be descaled or sterilised?

The water tank should be descaled from time to time.
Citric acid must be used for this purpose. This can be fed into the device via the water inlet. Leave it time to take effect and then rinse out the Combi thoroughly with fresh water.

No further info given about the amount of citric acid to be used so I just mixed the 1kg of citric acid I bought from Amazon for £4.72 with a watering can full of water and added to the 60 litres or so already in the tank and boiler.

After leaving overnight and flushing out thoroughly the citric acid seems to have done the trick and water is very hot again.

Thought maybe this might help other Funsters.

Paul

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
This will no double be a useful exercise for some but I stopped descaling mine after possible issues.

I twice descaled and sterilised my water system (Truma combi 6e and Reich taps) with Aquastar (discontinued) which I imagine was citric acid based. Perhaps I didn't follow the instructions correctly but ended up with leaking kitchen and washroom taps that were then replaced twice under warranty. I talked to Reich about the leaks at a show and they were keen to get hold of some failed taps to see what was going on but I'm thinking my dealer had to return them to Hymer to complete their warranty procedures. These might have been coincidences but in my mind the acid affected the tap seals somehow. I've not heard of anyone else experiencing the same problem though. I no longer descale.

I had an electric element fail in the Truma that was also replaced under warranty. I spoke to Truma at the same show and they suggested I should think of the Combi as primarily a gas heater with added electric heating capabilities in the event of running out of gas. The gas side of the Combi is more powerful so heats up quicker. I have refillable gas so I've followed their advice and it's worked for me but not everyone can carry sufficient gas I guess.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is the reply I got from Truma,

Thank you for your enquiry, we would recommend that you use 2 litres of white wine vinegar diluted into 10/12 litres of cold water, introduce into the water system via the water inlet (removing the filter if one is fitted), open the taps and the solution will pull through to the boiler, leave in for 4 to 5 hours and then flush through.

I hope this is helpful but please come back to me if you need any further help.

Kind regards

Rachel Roberts
Customer Service Advisor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Ordinary white pickling vinegar is was I use, a bit cheaper than wine vinegar. Don't use malt though unless you and to taste it for months afterwards.

Dick

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the trick with descaling truma boilers is to put the vinegar (ascetic acid) or citric acid mix in then heat the boiler and allow to cool a few cycles before draining. this fully dissolves the limescale and reduces the risk of bits causing a leak on the tap seals

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
White wine vinegar around 30c for 2L in France. I use it to descale the kettle but use citric acid for the boiler every 2 years.
Yep, we're waiting till we go back to France to buy some.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
How do you descale an Alde boiler as I've got to assume it will be the same as the Truma.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back