Depreciation on a new van (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A dealer just told us our Knaus with Alde heating, awning, satelite TV and reversing camera at 2yrs 9 month old, immaculate, 11,000 miles, was worth £39,000. £25,000 less than it’s value in 2016. That’s a depreciation similar to car, 20% in year 1 and 15% for every year after.

I was under the impression that vans depreciated slower than cars. Our exact same van has gone up in price slightly, so to replace it like for like would amount to £30,000, not far off half the price of the van.

Of course this does not account for haggle room, but even if you could reduce that gap to £20,000, it’s still a lot to pay.

So if you want a change of layout like we do, the best solution is to sell privately, or buy second hand. Unless you’re loaded of course. :D2

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There's no rhyme of reason to PX prices IMO as they vary massively between different dealers. We received a variation of £11,000 in our 'cost to change' between our first and second van with three dealers not even wanting to offer any PX deal. If you try a second and third dealer then you may be pleasantly surprised.

That said, I don't think all is well in the motorhome industry at the moment so some dealers will try and harvest a low PX price to help offset their slowing sales.

It will be interesting to know what deals you get from other outlets.

All the best,

Andrew

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We lost 800 quid on our last van.
18 months old 6000 miles.
No added extras. Did take 3 hrs to get the deal done with myself walking away half way through as I had a price in mind before I sat down.
Dealer kept saying "but for this price your getting a new van"
My reply " I've already got one thanks ".
Adding the extras doesnt add any value just makes it more attractive to buyers imho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Extras are never going to increase a vans value. My local man totally strips every extra off my van before a sale. Takes him a day. When the next van arrives he fits it all again. Selling privately it may be better to leave a few on to help the sale.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sadly it's a well known fact that the worst depreciation is in the early years, that's why we keep telling newbies not to buy new first as they lose so much when they almost inevitably want to change in a shortish period. The longer you keep it the less effect inflation has on the price e.g. we were offered £25,000 for part-exing our 12 year old van for a new one against the £39,000 it cost us 10 years ago. (We weren't very serious and didn't get to the haggling stage so we may have done better).

Agree go around a few dealers and see what they have to say. May find one who's actively looking for your model.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We lost 800 quid on our last van.
18 months old 6000 miles.
No added extras. Did take 3 hrs to get the deal done with myself walking away half way through as I had a price in mind before I sat down.
Dealer kept saying "but for this price your getting a new van"
My reply " I've already got one thanks ".
Adding the extras doesnt add any value just makes it more attractive to buyers imho.
Well done. But were you getting a cheaper make?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A dealer just told us our Knaus with Alde heating, awning, satelite TV and reversing camera at 2yrs 9 month old, immaculate, 11,000 miles, was worth £39,000. £25,000 less than it’s value in 2016. That’s a depreciation similar to car, 20% in year 1 and 15% for every year after.

Unless you’re loaded of course. :D2

So if you'd have sold... for those 33 months, before you calculated fuel, insurance and tax it was costing you over £750 a month in deprecation alone. To afford that you must be loaded :D

I try to keep the deprecation down to a tenner a month, max :D

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
So if you'd have sold... for those 33 months, before you calculated fuel, insurance and tax it was costing you over £750 a month in deprecation alone. To afford that you must be loaded :D

I try to keep the deprecation down to a tenner a month, max :D
I worked out the same figure, that’s why I walked away.

To keep depreciation down to a £10 a month, I’d have to find some one willing to pay £330 less than I bought it for. Now I’m up for that, what’s the secret Jim? :D2

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
There's no rhyme of reason to PX prices IMO as they vary massively between different dealers. We received a variation of £11,000 in our 'cost to change' between our first and second van with three dealers not even wanting to offer any PX deal. If you try a second and third dealer then you may be pleasantly surprised.

That said, I don't think all is well in the motorhome industry at the moment so some dealers will try and harvest a low PX price to help offset their slowing sales.

It will be interesting to know what deals you get from other outlets.

All the best,

Andrew
Thanks mate, will try some other dealers and see what variation I get. I’ve seen my van (same year) on the market for £10,000 more than I was offered, so there’s plenty of wiggle room here.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I worked out the same figure, that’s why I walked away.

To keep depreciation down to a £10 a month, I’d have to find some one willing to pay £330 less than I bought it for. Now I’m up for that, what’s the secret Jim? :D2

Buy at a good price and keep the van for longer (y)

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My advice would be to sell it on ebay. Lots more hassle, but when you consider that you're being paid at least around £3k an hour for the hassle it's not too bad.
Good advice, or try to convince her indoors that our layout is not that bad after all. :p

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What a deal? Is it LHD?
Yes LHD.
We weren't going to change but couldn't refuse the deal. Timing was right Hymer were trying to shift the DL and our dealer just kept going back to Hymer and getting more bits thrown in that we wanted.
As for the trade in got offered the same from a German Carthago dealer, British Carthago dealer just took the pee like most UK dealers.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Yes LHD.
We weren't going to change but couldn't refuse the deal. Timing was right Hymer were trying to shift the DL and our dealer just kept going back to Hymer and getting more bits thrown in that we wanted.
As for the trade in got offered the same from a German Carthago dealer, British Carthago dealer just took the pee like most UK dealers.
Cheers for that Lenny, very interesting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back