Dealers and motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Well, I've been trying out a few dealers with a view to swapping my van for a bigger one. All I can say is that judging by the 'salesmen' I've spoken to around the UK, I've come to the conclusion that motorhomes either don't need selling as they sell themselves or there are more buyers than vans.

Call a dealer about xyz van, yes we'll get back to you...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

or we'll get back to you tomorrow, call them back following (as they haven't called back), oh he's gone on holiday !!

or he's not in today...or tomorrow....etc etc

or they leave a message with the wife... yes here's our offer for your van, I call back that night after work...we've sold it !!

I give up.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Busy,, just imagine how much work we would get, with that sort of customer service!

Rediculous innit!! X

Maybe they're practicing reverse psychology

'Treat em mean - keep em keen'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Sounds about right, had similar with my enquiries...
You send a reminder email that they reply to saying they have not forgot you, then they don't bother!
Or they seem suprised when you say you would like a test drive and wonder why you loose interest when they say they don't have one available to test!

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
The impression I get is they are not really bothered about your part ex. The first dealer came out to look at my van, I had left everything thing in it, he brought his damp meter and looked all over it. He spoke about Glasses guide, which my van wasn't in. He then offered me a generous part ex. Sadly the deal fell through as his van had a fault.
Second dealer didn't look at my van, gave me the Glasses guide waffle then offered me the same price as the first dealer, more then I thought. I said do you want to see my van, he says only when you come to pick up your new to me van.
They make so much on each van they can afford to be blaise.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The problem is that everyone is doing the same thing. Every time they pick up the phone someone wants to know what their best price is for XYZ. It must drive them up the wall. They know full well that the chances of you actually buying from them are a bit remote so why bother. If they have someone in the showroom who is looking then that person has taken the time and trouble to go and have a look so the chances of a sale are considerably higher than one from a phone call from someone in Timbuktu :cool:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Perhaps a c/van-Mo/ho salesman can tell me the truth. I allways thought that the customer comes in with a view to buy a unit,all you have to do is listen,point him at what he THINKS he wants,show him what you THINK he needs,sort it out and snatch the cash.Stealing money!!!!
"Where a meranguie ?"
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
The problem is that everyone is doing the same thing. Every time they pick up the phone someone wants to know what their best price is for XYZ. It must drive them up the wall. They know full well that the chances of you actually buying from them are a bit remote so why bother. If they have someone in the showroom who is looking then that person has taken the time and trouble to go and have a look so the chances of a sale are considerably higher than one from a phone call from someone in Timbuktu :cool:
Hi.
Missed this post,but. Went to Goodalls at Huddersfield a few years ago,looking at a c/van. I was treated like a lord,nothing was to much trouble,good cafe on site with good wholesome food (Dustbin lid..EVERYTHING on it(y)). When we had done a Happy deal,i said how nice it was to have been so well looked after, the chao said. "You have to make an effort to come out here to see us,so we know you are keen... So as Qfour says....
Tea Bag

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
In 2015 I traded in my Rapido for a new 2015 Knaus Sky TI 700 MEB - twin singles & huge end washroom and liked it a lot.

Whilst in Spain on a longish trip this January I realized that I was fed up having to struggle to lift the bunks every time to get access to the outdoor chairs, water hose, levelling blocks, BBQ etc. etc. no "garage" so everything accessed from above by lifting bunks!!

Looking at Knaus brochures I saw the new Knaus A class - twin bed large garage etc. so immediately emailed my dealer (the one I had bought my then current Knaus from) asking for a delivery & price on one - not cheap circa £75k in the spec I wanted (I took the spec I wanted including extras directly from the brochure) - that was about January 20th

By Feb 1st no reply so I sent email again - by Feb 10 no reply so I sent email again this time copying sales desk, sales manager, uncle Tom C and all - at last a few days later a reply from sales secretary - sorry we seem to have misfiled your 1st email & ***** was on holiday when your second one arrived and still is on holiday but I will get someone to contact you right away

Some days went by and I got an email from a "senior sales person" saying ***** will be back on Monday an will deal with it - it was now getting on towards the end of Feb and I was due home on 20th March

Anyway Feb went and March arrived still no email from *****

20 March arrived & we returned home ( still no email)

Early April I visited the site and met ***** and was greeted like a long lost friend - scant mention of my emails!!
I questioned ***** on the spec, price & delivery quoted in my email and it was suitably glossed over then I was informed that as it was now April and they had used up their 2017 allowance of that model I would have to wait for the 2018 brochures before they could give me a price or delivery and they would not be out until September!!

So I bought a similar Hymer A class instead!!!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
In 2015 I traded in my Rapido for a new 2015 Knaus Sky TI 700 MEB - twin singles & huge end washroom and liked it a lot.

Whilst in Spain on a longish trip this January I realized that I was fed up having to struggle to lift the bunks every time to get access to the outdoor chairs, water hose, levelling blocks, BBQ etc. etc. no "garage" so everything accessed from above by lifting bunks!!

Looking at Knaus brochures I saw the new Knaus A class - twin bed large garage etc. so immediately emailed my dealer (the one I had bought my then current Knaus from) asking for a delivery & price on one - not cheap circa £75k in the spec I wanted (I took the spec I wanted including extras directly from the brochure) - that was about January 20th

By Feb 1st no reply so I sent email again - by Feb 10 no reply so I sent email again this time copying sales desk, sales manager, uncle Tom C and all - at last a few days later a reply from sales secretary - sorry we seem to have misfiled your 1st email & ***** was on holiday when your second one arrived and still is on holiday but I will get someone to contact you right away

Some days went by and I got an email from a "senior sales person" saying ***** will be back on Monday an will deal with it - it was now getting on towards the end of Feb and I was due home on 20th March

Anyway Feb went and March arrived still no email from *****

20 March arrived & we returned home ( still no email)

Early April I visited the site and met ***** and was greeted like a long lost friend - scant mention of my emails!!
I questioned ***** on the spec, price & delivery quoted in my email and it was suitably glossed over then I was informed that as it was now April and they had used up their 2017 allowance of that model I would have to wait for the 2018 brochures before they could give me a price or delivery and they would not be out until September!!

So I bought a similar Hymer A class instead!!!

Wouldn't happen to be a Knaus dealer not a million miles away from where you live would it?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Went to Marquis in Ipswich February this year with £30.000 to spend, still waiting for them to call me..

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Wouldn't happen to be a Knaus dealer not a million miles away from where you live would it?

Funny you should say that - nearly half way on the way from my place to your place just off Eastern road!! ;)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Mmm, that's a hard one to work out,, did the sales blokes name start with an R and end in a D:)

No - it wasn't even a bloke!! :)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
IMG_0949.PNG
Think this fact might have a bearing on this conversation.

09/08/2017 Motorhome registrations up at half year poinr
Motorhome registrations up 14% year-on-year as younger buyers head to the forecourts

Download the full release More Info

Maybe if your a serious purchaser the above approach may work for you.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
You have got that right. I took a friend to Marquis at billing. They would not let us look in the vans. Salesman had gone to lunch . We came back two hours later. To busy to see us. Told me to come back tomorrow . He brought his van of E/Bay.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I had the same issues with possibly the same dealer "downsouth" ish, I concider them not fit for purpose and can not see myself buying anything off them especially when lots of continental dealers are closer to us and the prices are a lot lower. Apart from not answering e-mail they don't even know anything about what they are selling.

Martin

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have bought 3 vans all from shows and always had a good deal but the down side with the last one we are still waiting since May for some warranty work due to be done in November the last dealer is Lowdhams

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have bought 3 vans all from shows and always had a good deal but the down side with the last one we are still waiting since May for some warranty work due to be done in November the last dealer is Lowdhams

Hope they manage to fix it first time round or you will be waiting another SIX months for a second visit to correct the faults they failed to sort out or missed.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010

On the other side of the coin we had great service from them last year when we brought our Laika A..y M was brill nothing to much trouble even picked us up from the campsite the following morning. It just goes to show how sometimes dealers are inconsistent

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hope they manage to fix it first time round or you will be waiting another SIX months for a second visit to correct the faults they failed to sort out or missed.
They will only get one chance to rectify the issues then it will be a different route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back