DC to DC converter for laptop (1 Viewer)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Please could someone recommend a specific DC to DC converter with which to run my HP laptop from a 12 volt socket rather than via an inverter? I'm interested in quality and reliability rather than price.

I found the following somewhere and thought it worth passing on. The circumstances described here fit my own situation pretty well.

Subject: RE: Can you power/charge a laptop via 12 volt socket?

I await guidance from any qualified or knowledgeable people as to whether this simpler route will save valuable leisure battery reserves if we are using the laptop for 3 or 4 hours a night, and not on mains hookup.

...the answer is that using the DC to DC convertor will almost definitely save you battery power (over the option of using an inverter and the laptop power supply). Whether the amount is valuable or not, however, depends very much on the nature of the equipment you are using, and the amount of time it is used for.

Some generalities may help to illustrate:

A general purpose inverter, such as is regularly utilised by motorcaravanners, is unlikely to exhibit an efficiency of greater than 80% (and then only at close to rated output). Hence, every 80W you take out, you have to put 100W in.

If you then add your normal (240v) laptop lead, then this typically might exhibit 85% efficiency.

So, if you have a laptop with a (not uncommon) nominal 70W requirement, the 70W at the laptop will require 70/0.8*0.85 W from the source (roughly 103W). (This assumes, of course, that the device is running all the time at its nominal consumption)

If instead you use a decent DC to DC switched mode supply, you may be lucky enough to get up to roughly 95% efficiency (especially if it is specifically sized for the demand), but for illustration, lets assume 90%. Hence, the nominal 70W requirement would require 70/0.90 W from the source (under 78W).

The difference in demand in this case would be 25W, leading to 100Wh for 4 hours a night of watching. At a nominal 12.7V from a fully charged battery, this would be 100/12.7, or a saving of something under 8Ah per night.

E&OE

Many thanks Robinhood.

That's just the sort of answer I was really trying to establish.

We go away for quite extended periods in the MH (maybe 4 to 8 weeks away per trip), throughout the year...including winter months when even in Spain/Portugal it can be very cloudy/raining a lot.....and we are often parked up for maybe a week or so at a time, thus not running the engine, but reliant on just solar panels to replenish our daily/nightly use of 12 volt usage.

So, given that order of leisure battery power saving, I do think that getting one of those DC-to-DC ciggie lighter socket adaptors for about 15 quid is the way to go for us.

Then our existing inverter can continue to be used for other short-burst mains power when needed (electric razer etc), and would remain available as backup for the laptop TV watching if the DC adaptor packed up.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Use them all the time on boat (5 months pa) and camper (4 months pa) We travel with two MacBooks and use 12v charges bought off ebay. The caveat is that we've gone thro' a few! A board mounted I.C. overheats and the thing dies. They are used more or less daily - even when we've got A.C.

The latest one that I use now has a vented case and I make sure that it's the right way up to dissipate heat - and it doesn't get hot.

The main thing is to ensure that the 12v plug is fused. If not chop it off and replace it with one with a fuse. Ebay again.

We have a dedicated navigation computer on t'boat, a Dell, for which we use a Dell manufactured 12v PSU. That's hard wired tho'.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We use a charger plugged into the 12v socket in the MH which can be adjusted(by a slide) for output of various voltages up to about 22v. Our laptop requires 19v

I have not gone into all those figures quoted, but it works.

Got it from Maplins, but they are common and most people do it that way.

The inverter route is inefficient and not necessary. KISS

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If your laptop doesn't come with a 12v cigarette lighter-type power cable just Google 12v power cable for XXX laptop. There are loads available but the cheapies are generally rubbish, we've had a couple overheat and fail. Those that run through a proper transformer box seem to be okay, though of course more expensive.

Of course you'll need a suitable socket on the van to put it into - I've got one close to the TV sockets but have also fitted another, fused and wired directly to the leisure batteries, in a more convenient place. Those fitted in the dashboard are (usually) ignition controlled so you'd need to rewire them (simple enough job) to use when parked up.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Firstly is there room on the MH roof to fit more solar, if so, do this first.

whilst you will make it more efficient, it is essentially peanuts on top of what you use to actually power the thing.
8ah on a possible 200 ah battery bank (and if it isn't you should fit one) is nothing in the big scheme of things

Secondly, what is the input requirement of the laptop in DC volts? Not all of them are 12v.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
You could use a DC-DC Step Up Boost Buck Voltage Converter.
Richard

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Using an inverter is just wrong
You are taking 12v and upping it to 220v ( not exactly efficient in the first place )
Then you are going to use a powerpack to covert the 220v back down to ( mostly ) 19v
If you get one of the 12v to ( variable ) laptop volts it will do the job for little money and little wasted amp from you battery

This is the one I have.. I think its about 7 years old now and has had a right royal hammering but it still works just fine/

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When they show efficiency figures for high power inverters, it's always the high power end that they quote. The wasted power does not reduce much as the power reduces. So a 1 kilowatt inverter probably wastes 1 amp even if it's only outputting 60 watts. In other words, it will use 6 amps instead of 5 amps. That's very inefficient.

If you use a 150 watt inverter, the wasted power will be very much lower at 60 watts, so it's better to use one of those.

But better still to use a DC-to-DC laptop supply. You can even get ones that will work from either 12V DC or 240V AC. Best of both worlds.

I used to like the adjustable ones, but nowadays they have to be grandson-proof, so I now prefer the fixed voltage ones.
Not impossible, you just have to put more effort into it. Don't ask...:cry:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use 12v for all electronic uses including TV, laptops, tablets, phones, razor, etc. I just search Amazon for a 12v adaptor using the make, name and/or model number of my laptop. Almost everything else uses the standard 5v USB port.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
We use 12v for all electronic uses including TV, laptops, tablets, phones, razor, etc. I just search Amazon for a 12v adaptor using the make, name and/or model number of my laptop. Almost everything else uses the standard 5v USB port.

I have no idea why people pay for and use expensive and inefficient inverters. 12v DCDC alternatives are readily available for pretty much everything.

And the hairdryer can be reserved for the few occasions when on EHU.

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
I just bought from power4laptops.co.uk one of these (free delivery to Germany): HP Home 15-ac131ng kompatibles Netzteil/Ladegerät (Gleichstrom) fürs Auto

Thanks for all help.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another advantage is that most small inverters sound like Concorde taking off. 12-19V DC to DC converters generally have no noisy moving parts.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My laptop (asus G731G) needs 20v at 7.5 amps

Ive struggled for a while NOW, none of the universal ones seem to have a plug to fit and buck boost never seem to have the amps

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This might do the job just, it says 100 watts max, which I make 8.3 amps. Make sure that your 12 volt socket is fused correctly and able to cope with the current draw.

Amazon product ASIN B071SDW4QG
Edit just noticed Camper Jack posted the same one Doh!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Ive struggled for a while NOW, none of the universal ones seem to have a plug to fit and buck boost never seem to have the amps
All the figures quoted as USED by lap tops is, in most cases, the absolute maximum
The reality is that only the very cheap and very large machines rarely use more that 3 amps so about 60w would be more like it, not 150w as the figures suggests

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

As Jaws says, the 150W figure is probably not the steady-state power requirements. However you can always find a power supply for whatever power you want. The problem I think is that at 150W, that's at the limit of most cigarette-lighter sockets, and beyond the limit of many.

This would be more than enough , at 20V 10A, but you'd need to attach a wire and the correct plug for your laptop. You could wire it direct to the battery (through a fuse, of course).
<Broken link removed>

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Just looked, that's one powerful supply it requires. Indeed, some versions appear to require 230W. I guess that has to power a lot of pixel shaders.

I thought mine was bad at 130W (presumably because of the 8 core i9 processor). Most laptops just take a 65W or 90W, or run off USB PD (up to 100W max).

However, the G731G isn't a standard laptop, but a gaming laptop with extreme power requirements. You'd better have a tonne of lithium to power that, even if you can find a suitable PSU! Or just take a normal laptop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back