Data hungry users... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have a 3G HUAWEI with a good Ariel....

What’s the best 4g or more, mifi I can buy ? I feel the need for speed.....:cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Hauwei E5377 4g , favourite sim EE frequently gives 4g best 35mb so far . Currently using 3 , cheap data but not so much 4g cover in my experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On our recent trip round Scandanavia I was regularly frustrated pi55ed off that our Net Gear mifi with 3 sim only had 3g often 2g or E whatever E is, but our phones nearly always had 4g, but they were on expensive Vodafone contracts with limited data

I think we might get an unlocked iphone and try using that as just a mifi to see if it is Vodafone that is better or 3 that are the weak link

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our recent trip round Scandanavia I was regularly frustrated pi55ed off that our Net Gear mifi with 3 sim only had 3g often 2g or E whatever E is, but our phones nearly always had 4g, but they were on expensive Vodafone contracts with limited data

I think we might get an unlocked iphone and try using that as just a mifi to see if it is Vodafone that is better or 3 that are the weak link
If you can change the network on you mifi try that. I often find changing networks you can get better speeds.
E=Edge next one up from GPRS. If I've got it right on order of speed - GPRS, EDGE, 3G, H, H+, 4G.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the sim card which is the key I think. With a Vodafone card in Italy I got a 4g connection virtually all the time. I'm now using a Three card and it won't let me connect to the 4g network here. I get a new Vodafone data allowance tomorrow so I'll try and remember to do a speed test. Huawei 5377 mifi with external aerial.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you can change the network on you mifi try that. I often find changing networks you can get better speeds.
E=Edge next one up from GPRS. If I've got it right on order of speed - GPRS, EDGE, 3G, H, H+, 4G.

thanks Lenny, dim question coming up sorry, isn't the network determined by the sim you use? ie Voda or 3?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
thanks Lenny, dim question coming up sorry, isn't the network determined by the sim you use? ie Voda or 3?
The sim will logon to the companies prefered network but you can change it. I don't know how to do it in a Mifi but it's easy on a phone, just go into networks and do a search and it will come up with all the available networks, then choose one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's fairly easy to change network using the Huawei app, but some will be listed as available but they won't allow to connect. With Three in Italy it normally connects to the I Wind network but only, in my experience the 3g one. The 4g network is shown as available but it isn't.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

We have a Netgear Aircard 785 (4g etc..) and a Huawei E5577C, used with 3 (12gb for 12month). The Huawei consistently gets a faster better connection than the Netgear, used both with and without aerials but the Huawei always beats the Netgear (UK, France and Germany).

The Huawei can also use a wifi connection, so when a strong signal available possible to share that, again used regularly instead of the Alfa R36 box.

The Netgear has now been consigned to the spares box, it has a lovely interface great battery life great support but just not as good.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back