Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Everyone, I have searched Motorhome forums to help solve problems since we first got our MH some 9 years ago but only recently paid up to join. We have just returned from our first trip of the season to Hampshire and had a very enjoyable time.
But I have had a problem with our TV, a Kogan 16inch with DVD. The remote failed to operate and when I tested it with my smartphone camera was seen to operate. So the receiver in the set seems to be faulty. I'm trying to get the back off but having removed the screws it seems to be still firmly held in place. When handling it I find that it is damp and sticky, and with it stood on its side brown moisture is leaking out.
If I cant get the back off to repair it I don't think I can tune it from the set buttons and it may have to go but if the damp is going to damage a new set, then I need to solve this first.
Does anyone know why it should be attracting moisture? We do a bit of cooking but I don't understand why the moisture should condense on the caseing and insides of the TV.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It might assist if you let people know what van you have.

Does the TV slide down into a unit or just sit on a bracket on the wall etc.

I suspect the back of the TV has a security screw somewhere - usually under a sticker. (y)

Reactions: GPW
OP
OP
Rapidorob
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi MikeD, We have a Rapido 924F which has a cabinet for the TV with a rollback door. It was originally designed before LED flat TVs so I have installed a panel and fixed a sliding bracket support to it for the TV to be slid out and back into the cupboard when not in use.:sleep:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Have you been by chance watching the bbc news?

I only ask because brown sticky liquid sounds a lot like excrement and watching BBC news there's a lot of that on there so perhaps it's overspilling in to your tv

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rapidorob
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Alex, The aerial socket and power connexions are at the rear of the cabinet and the feed to them is not visible within the TV cabinet. The leads are not damp.
Thanks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Oddly enough I had the same problem, again a Kogan TV with symptoms similar to yours, though not actually running. There was however a sort of coating of a sticky greasy substance. Our tv lives on a slide out bracket in a cupboard directly over the hob, and I suspect condensed steam and grease. Strange that the predecessor tv didn't have this problem (not Kogan). The TV has gone to the tip so cannot investigate further.

OP
OP
Rapidorob
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Jockaneezer, Stealaway, I guess it could be a blown Capacitor but to find it damp all over the back of the TV and drpping out from inside, it would have to have been quite a spray of liquid! If I can get the back off maybe I will find out.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with earlier posts it could have been caused by water finding its way down from above via the coaxial TV cable or a failed capacitor etc. Should that not be the case maybe the purchase of a cheap hygrometer such us in the link below placed in the cabinet housing your TV and checking the readings daily and if it reads wet - you may have a problem.

Amazon product ASIN B06XZYP5FW

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi Jockaneezer, Stealaway, I guess it could be a blown Capacitor but to find it damp all over the back of the TV and drpping out from inside, it would have to have been quite a spray of liquid! If I can get the back off maybe I will find out.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Capacitors of a size that could leak electrolyte aren't used in a modern TV - they do spit cotton wool and aluminium bullets though. If the TV is 12v there's no danger from it wet or not. Go around the case with a slim blunt knife - there will be latches in several places.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Liquid dripping through from the cupboard above... :RollEyes:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had a problems with a tv in the house and it turned out tha aerial cable was full of water ,when I disconnected it the water just ran out.

OP
OP
Rapidorob
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone for your replies. I can definitely say that it isn't water coming from the aerial cable as the aerial first runs into the wardrobe and then to an aerial amplifier. If water was getting into the van that way it would affect the amplifier not the TV. The output from the amplifier is internally run around the van to the TV cabonet. There is no evidence of water ingress within the TV cabinet. The only damp is on the casing of the TV and since removing it due to the fault with the remote not working I can see that brown liquid is still (after a couple of days) leaking out of the set and it is sticky to touch. On my fingers it is like the sticky residue from a leaking dry cell battery!
I have tried to prise off the back but without breaking something I can't shift it.
The set works but I can't find a way to set auto tuning running. The buttons on the set allow me to select auto tuning but nothing I try will get it started.
So it seems that a new set is needed. Any recommendations?
I can't accomodate larger that 16 inch in my TV cabinet.
Thanks for all your help and advice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Instead of being limited to having the TV in the cabinet, why not mount one on the wall below the cabinet and use the space above for something else, that way you could have a larger TV if you wish.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've (think) heard of a potential uncommon fault with lcd panels on laptops leaking fluid. Only way to fix was to replace panel but .......

OP
OP
Rapidorob
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mel, Our van is only 6m long so we don't sit far from the TV, a 16 inch is big enough for us and goes neatly out of the way and out of sight during the day so I wouldn't want a bigger screen.
Hi Gellyneck, thank you for sharing that with me perhaps that is where the fluid is from. What's strange is that apart from the remote control receiver packing up, no other fault has been apparent. If the screen can leak fluid without apparent degradation that may well be the fault. It is interesting that ReallyRetired above had the same problem with a Kogan set.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Take it out of the van and unscrew the back. The source of the leak should then become clear!

OP
OP
Rapidorob
Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi GPW, As mentioned above, I am unable to get the back off after removing all screws and applying significant pressure I have given up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back