efinjohn

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can anybody tell me why the manufactures don't build the lower floor with a protective covering ie plastic or aluminium to save the timber from all the elements thrown at it? surely it cant cost a great deal if bought in bulk.. I am looking at covering my bessacarr 789 lower floor in aluminium as it is now 9 years old and showing some signs of water damage! can anybody tell me why I cant do this.. Regards Kevin

OP
OP
E

efinjohn

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It hasn't got into the timber yet but I can see it may be a future problem, I will hand sand the boards to clean the timber then seal before fitting the ali. I had a small problem with my previous van it cost me nearly 3k to repair don't want that again!! I have mudflaps fitted Thanks for your reply paul. Kevin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There is very little future in building perfect, dry, waterproof motorhomes. Once everybody who can afford one has one the market is dead. As with everything these days it's built to fail so that you need to replace it with a newer model.

D.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Wood is a natural product. It needs to breathe. It will both absorb moisture, but also release it. The moisture content of wood, and indeed many other materials changes from summer through winter as temperature and humidity alter. That is irrespective of actual content with water, as opposed to airbourne moisture vapour.

We need to protect from water ingress. We must take care that if something is so totally sealed the natural humidity temperature changes can't lead to harmful intersitial (internal) condensation that would cause problems.

So be careful. If sealing up, make sure it really is dry before you do so.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can anybody tell me why the manufactures don't build the lower floor with a protective covering ie plastic or aluminium
Both my last two vans have GRP underfloors. I think most German vans use GRP floors now.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Can anybody tell me why the manufactures don't build the lower floor with a protective covering ie plastic

do an internet search on soggy swifts to see the reason why, swift is the name that is usually associated with this but many others tried the sealed wood floor idea (even german manufacturers)

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Can anybody tell me why the manufactures don't build the lower floor with a protective covering ie plastic or aluminium to save the timber from all the elements thrown at it? surely it cant cost a great deal if bought in bulk.. I am looking at covering my bessacarr 789 lower floor in aluminium as it is now 9 years old and showing some signs of water damage! can anybody tell me why I cant do this.. Regards Kevin
Swift tried with a vinyl film on the underside of ply for the floor from around mid 2000 It was a total failure the ply rotted when moisture got between the ply and film as side skirts where not sealed properly, they had to repair a lot of Swift and Bessacar floors. I had a 2006 Bessacar that had a rotten floor which was repaired at factory

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
My garage floor is plywood. Its ok at the moment. I had been thinking of a breathable " paint" to prolong its life.
Any suggestions?

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
My garage floor is plywood. Its ok at the moment. I had been thinking of a breathable " paint" to prolong its life.
Any suggestions?

A decent water proofing agent would be good. Available from any boat chandler or on ebay

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could never understand why phenolic ply isn't used for floors.
It's used extensively in the trailer industry and lasts, fully exposed to all weather's, for donkeys years with no further protection.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Could never understand why phenolic ply isn't used for floors.
It's used extensively in the trailer industry and lasts, fully exposed to all weather's, for donkeys years with no further protection.

Simple answer there, it's probably a bit more expensive.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Simple answer there, it's probably a bit more expensive.
Yes it's is, a few pounds a sheet.
I'm sure they could shave the cost elsewhere... Maybe just one less LED light and wiring.
I'm sure buyers would rather a floor that will probably outlast the rest of the wood than one more pretty light.
Trailer manufacturers could use standard ply in box trailer floors but they don't skimp on quality materials and still sell their trailers.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
On helga( my Hymer) I have a piece of wood behind rear wheels, under locker that is splitting and needs replacing, I was told about this problem a couple of years ago from Jock/ Rita,, It’s trying to find somewhere to get her high enough off the ground to sort it! Lol

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it's is, a few pounds a sheet.
I'm sure they could shave the cost elsewhere... Maybe just one less LED light and wiring.
I'm sure buyers would rather a floor that will probably outlast the rest of the wood than one more pretty light.
Trailer manufacturers could use standard ply in box trailer floors but they don't skimp on quality materials and still sell their trailers.

That's the problem though, you could go around an entire van and say"It would only cost a few more quid to get quality" door stays, waste/fresh release valves, cupboards, fixings, floors, insulation etc
There are a lot of poorly built crap vans out there that they could have spent a few bob extra when building.
I see it all the time.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Not much use to the manufacturers if their product lasts forever, zero repeat sales...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's the problem though, you could go around an entire van and say"It would only cost a few more quid to get quality" door stays, waste/fresh release valves, cupboards, fixings, floors, insulation etc
There are a lot of poorly built crap vans out there that they could have spent a few bob extra when building.
I see it all the time.
Agreed, but the floor is the only wood part exposed to the elements from day one... Water, snow, mud, dirt. All other wood is internal and protected unless a leak occurs. The floor is impossible to replace as EVERYTHING is built on it. Frame timbers, furniture etc is relatively easy to replace so any old tat can be used... How many of you have looked behind the nice facia of American RV furniture which you wouldn't normally see..... Pallets, recycled floorboards, anything to hand on the more budget motorhomes.... But the floors are quality.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our 21 year old Swift had a black painted wood floor, no damp at all, I can only assume it was built using high quality ply and some sort of breathable paint.
Our new Burstner has a GRP floor and roof.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As others have said some manufacturers do build a floor without wood. Our Hymer has a 30mmm thick insulation sandwich construction floor with GRP layers top and bottom.

My guess is it costs a bit more than chucking down a sheet of cheap ply, but it will probably last a lot longer.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Agreed, but the floor is the only wood part exposed to the elements from day one... Water, snow, mud, dirt. All other wood is internal and protected unless a leak occurs. The floor is impossible to replace as EVERYTHING is built on it. Frame timbers, furniture etc is relatively easy to replace so any old tat can be used... How many of you have looked behind the nice facia of American RV furniture which you wouldn't normally see..... Pallets, recycled floorboards, anything to hand on the more budget motorhomes.... But the floors are quality.

Yes agree, the Achilles heel of the older Hymers, great construction and they then went and used a timber floor. I have lost count how

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back