Damp - learning as we go... 🤞 (1 Viewer)

Flojo77

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot wayfarer
Hi all

We purchased a 1998 Peugeot Wayfarer last August that had certainly been looked after from a mechanical point of view but sadly slightly neglected from an everything else maintenance point of view. We noted it had evidence of some water ingress on the the ceiling when viewing bit weren't perturbed (🤔, I think we were more excited about planning a trip next year). We had the skylight and bathroom vent resealed and had a few weekend trips away to get to know 'Reggie'. We noticed both the bathroom and kitchen sinks leaked. The bathroom ones leaked under the sink and behind the shower tray and the kitchen ones at the unit. We also noticed the bike rack looked a little fragile in one corner and asked our mechanic friend to have a more detailed look. He took out the oven and fridge and informed us there had been quite a leak behind the kitchen and the wood was rotten. He described it as a potential major (and expensive) job.. Gulp.
Last weekend we decided to have a look ourselves and we set about taking out the bathroom and kitchen. Thanks to someone on here we eventually found the illusive screws holding our Thetford loo in place and short on taking a sledge hammer to the end kitchen we finally found enough screws to remove it semi intact. I spent this week peeling back the ply and polystyrene insulation on the back walls and bathroom ceiling. I then cut out the rotten wood with a multitool and in some places it just disintegrated when poked with a finger. We found that there was also a current leak in one corner where the bike rack had been attached. There are also two tiny holes in the back wall. The floor thankfully feels sound.
I haven't fully finished but I've stopped for now as hoping our mechanic will pass by and have a look over the weekend. I sent him some pics midway and he didn't think it looked as bad as he originally thought.
After spending many hours reading some very informative posts on here I'm hoping to pic your expert brains further about the next steps to take but I thought I'd attach some pictures to help clarify what I'm asking..

1. Should the bottom back of the van be screwed into the wooden batten that is (or was) behind the floor board? It was completely rotten and just flaked away.

2. Should there be daylight where the aluminum overlaps.. I'm thinking it was once held together by something that resembles putty? What would you suggest to seal it?

3. In the bathroom there is a lot of mould in the back left corner. The wallboard feels sound, however I'm suspicious that the timber batten that runs vertically in the back left corner is most likely rotten as the bottom part I exposed was very flakey as was the wood that ran along the ceiling. Would you either just treat the mould here or should I explore the back corner further to remove and replace the wood? I'm not sure how far to go.

4. The battens were stuck on to the back wall, any idea what to restick them with?

And finally..

5. What the heck is the side skirt?
I'm very sure we will have plenty of other questions along the way.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_143739.jpg
    IMG_20210805_143739.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 57

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Sorry to hear of your damp problems. You are doing the right thing in removing all the rotten wood and replacing it . You will be pleased when it’s completed as you will know a proper job has been done .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
1. Should the bottom back of the van be screwed into the wooden batten that is (or was) behind the floor board? It was completely rotten and just flaked away.

Yes otherwise water may creep up into the body

2. Should there be daylight where the aluminum overlaps.. I'm thinking it was once held together by something that resembles putty? What would you suggest to seal it?

This should be sealed with butyl tape or polymer sealant.

3. In the bathroom there is a lot of mould in the back left corner. The wallboard feels sound, however I'm suspicious that the timber batten that runs vertically in the back left corner is most likely rotten as the bottom part I exposed was very flakey as was the wood that ran along the ceiling. Would you either just treat the mould here or should I explore the back corner further to remove and replace the wood? I'm not sure how far to go.

Cut back until you find good board and batten scarf in new timber.

4. The battens were stuck on to the back wall, any idea what to restick them with?

Polymer sealant/ adhesive

And finally..

Part of the side that hang below the floor often a stylish additional piece on more modern vans

Cheers James

OP
OP
F

Flojo77

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot wayfarer

Yes otherwise water may creep up into the body

This should be sealed with butyl tape or polymer sealant.

Cut back until you find good board and batten scarf in new timber.

Polymer sealant/ adhesive

And finally..

Part of the side that hang below the floor often a stylish additional piece
Thanks so much, that's super helpful!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
This was my similar but not quite a extensive repair. I used 50x25mm treated roofing batten as it was the correct thickness and treated against rot. I assembled all mine using Gorilla polyurethane expanding glue, awesome stuff. The new insulation is 25mm builders polystyryne bats. Ensure that you clean all the old adhesive off the inside of the aluminium skin or the polystyrene won't adhere properly.
Screenshot_20210806-145422.png

OP
OP
F

Flojo77

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot wayfarer
This was my similar but not quite a extensive repair. I used 50x25mm treated roofing batten as it was the correct thickness and treated against rot. I assembled all mine using Gorilla polyurethane expanding glue, awesome stuff. The new insulation is 25mm builders polystyryne bats. Ensure that you clean all the old adhesive off the inside of the aluminium skin or the polystyrene won't adhere properly. View attachment 524476
Thanks so much. Going got majority of the prep done today so starting this tomorrow. Thanks for the pic, it really helps 🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back