DAB Radio on the move, Disappointment or What? (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Getting the hang of it from 2017
Yet another Pioneer AVIC double din user.

Had ours fitted by supplying Moho dealer from new, worked fine in the car park. Drove 5 miles down the road dropped the DAB for miles and miles on the A1, drove me nuts.

Upon inspection the window amounted airel was not earthed not even near the body work, these are one shot wonders to mount, so of to the nearest car radio fitter, he advised a feed and boaster to the Ducato's Ariel on the wing, this has improved slightly, we find that it depends which direction we are travelling great reception one way drops coming home on the same bit of road.

Spoke to the Pioneer bloke at the NEC show they say they are directional.

Thinking of trying the window mount again but fitted correctly. Any recommendations ?

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
I had a pioneer radio in my Mh and had nothing but trouble with it when on the dabs setting. Different experts told me it was interference from the rear view camera . Dash cam , etc. Finally, I bit the bullet and went to a proper radio centre and had a alpine dabs radio fitted with the correct arial. It cost me £285 fitted. And it was the best money I have spent in a long time. Since then I have been touring around the south and midlands with no problems whatever. I am a radio 2 man and also plug in my ipod.wife and me are really happy now.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Had one in my last car and took it out, dropped out everytime I came down the hill to home, and dropped off in patches picking somethine else when it all came back ten miles up the road. Total crap but it might be better but they are dropping the idea of DAB only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Dab Update;
Thanks for all the interesting views and experiences and observations thus far.
The most common cause for both engine interference whilst on the go, along with poor Ariel signal seems to be a lack of proper earthing, whether this be to the Ariel itself or the radio head unit itself.
Having contacted Pioneer Technical via E Mail, the response was....check windscreen Ariel is earthed to BARE Metal of windscreen side pillar...which makes sense, so I will check this is the case.
I am still not giving up on the Roof Mounted Ariel yet, as this is listed as a DVT Ariel for TV reception, which it does, not that well but OK in a good signal area. Behind the head unit I discovered two Ariel leads, one I thought was from the roof Ariel, the other was The Fiat one. The Fiat one was used initially with a DAB bullet type powered splitter, but this was terrible on FM & DAB with engine noise in the back ground.
Next step was to remove the bullet splitter and use the Fiat Ariel for FM only then fit a dedicated windscreen mounted stick on DAB Ariel for DAB.
Both FM & DAB reception in my drive is OK, but will have to take the van out on a run before I know if its any better.
Carthago just stated that the Radio Ariel will work when connected to head unit, I informed them that I had toggled the Ariel power switch on the head unit to ON and wasn't getting a strong signal.
I need to somehow find out from Carthago Technical if its supposed to cater for FM & DAB or just FM, and what powering up arrangement if any is required.
Only time will tell.
Thanks again everyone.
Les

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a DAB radio in my motorhome and I’m very disappointed that the coverage is very poor with lots of dead spots, even on the motorways. In my opinion the sound quality is no better than on FM which is available almost everywhere. Even after fitting a specific DAB aerial loss of station is common.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a DAB radio in my motorhome and I’m very disappointed that the coverage is very poor with lots of dead spots, even on the motorways. In my opinion the sound quality is no better than on FM which is available almost everywhere. Even after fitting a specific DAB aerial loss of station is common.
It will be an aerial or interference problem. DAB coverage is at least as good overall as FM.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our engine battery was disconnected the other day (for repairs to the Truma) and when it was reconnected the Kenwood radio gave us the option of connecting the power to the aerial.

We selected the power option and the DAB has worked fine albeit we've not yet tested it in the Highlands & Islands.;)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our Rapido pvc came with a fitted Pioneer DAB radio. No idea if it was installed by Fiat or Rapido, but best vehicle radio we've ever had in terms of reception and sound quality. Controls a bit fiddly until we got the hang of them - not exactly intuitive IMHO, but nonetheless great radio on DAB, or Long Wave, for R4, when we're half way down France. :)

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My radio is also a Pioneer, which cost £250 including fitting by the Pioneer agent together with a DAB specific aerial, but it still frequently loses stations, especially in hilly areas and on the M6. Buxton has no DAB coverage, even on BBC stations.
My favourite station is Chris Country but the only place I can pick it up is on my friend’s farm near Poynton Cheshire. Otherwise Gold is the most reliable station.
Any suggestions to remove my frustrations will be appreciated.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our Rapido pvc came with a fitted Pioneer DAB radio. No idea if it was installed by Fiat or Rapido, but best vehicle radio we've ever had in terms of reception and sound quality. Controls a bit fiddly until we got the hang of them - not exactly intuitive IMHO, but nonetheless great radio on DAB, or Long Wave, for R4, when we're half way down France. :)

Ours is part of the Rapido Van Pack option, so I guess Rapido buys them in bulk from Pioneer. The Pioneer controls are utterly counter-intuitive and bits you need to press are much too small and hard to see while driving. With 20:20 hindsight I should have added steering wheel controls to the order. The volume control knob is hyper-sensitive and it is too easy to put the unit into the menu mode when all you want is to adjust the sound volume. Very distracting to trouble shoot while driving and sometimes I had to turn it off. An example of terrible design. Flashy showroom appeal for the yoof market who presumably want mostly to bluetooth Spotify from their phones which is of no interest to me. The Pioneer owner's manual is just as bad. It seems to have been written in Geeklish. I wish I still had the excellent VW Gamma head unit in the previous campervan.

DAB reception seems completely random. For example, some days I can get DAB on my drive before setting off, some days it says "no signal". DAB reception drops out frequently even on motorways. I've given up on DAB and just use the FM setting which still has more reliable signal coverage despite the BBC trying to get us all to switch to DAB by stealth. The sound quality is just as good on FM. Good enough for a van cab with high ambient noise levels.

It's OK for single CDs.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
DAB works perfectly well in vehicles where the antenna is installed properly, usually during manufacture, with the correct ground plane.

It’s after market antennas that cause the problems, especially on vehicles like motorhomes where there is often nowhere suitable to fit them.
Have a DAB in the van, it came with it from new. It works when it wants to and cuts out all the time. I use FM

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Ours is part of the Rapido Van Pack option, so I guess Rapido buys them in bulk from Pioneer. The Pioneer controls are utterly counter-intuitive and bits you need to press are much too small and hard to see while driving. With 20:20 hindsight I should have added steering wheel controls to the order. The volume control knob is hyper-sensitive and it is too easy to put the unit into the menu mode when all you want is to adjust the sound volume. Very distracting to trouble shoot while driving and sometimes I had to turn it off. An example of terrible design. Flashy showroom appeal for the yoof market who presumably want mostly to bluetooth Spotify from their phones which is of no interest to me. The Pioneer owner's manual is just as bad. It seems to have been written in Geeklish. I wish I still had the excellent VW Gamma head unit in the previous campervan.

DAB reception seems completely random. For example, some days I can get DAB on my drive before setting off, some days it says "no signal". DAB reception drops out frequently even on motorways. I've given up on DAB and just use the FM setting which still has more reliable signal coverage despite the BBC trying to get us all to switch to DAB by stealth. The sound quality is just as good on FM. Good enough for a van cab with high ambient noise levels.

It's OK for single CDs.
I wonder if you have a coachbuilt or a van conversion?

Ours is a pvc, and I wonder if it makes a difference in the radio performance?

Suspect our aerial is a Fiat original factory fit above the centre of the windscreen.

As said, sound and station stability on DAB are really good.

But totally agree regarding the the counter-intuitive controls.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I wonder if you have a coachbuilt or a van conversion?

Ours is a pvc, and I wonder if it makes a difference in the radio performance?

Suspect our aerial is a Fiat original factory fit above the centre of the windscreen.

As said, sound and station stability on DAB are really good.

But totally agree regarding the the counter-intuitive controls.

We have a D43 PVC, a bit smaller than yours but otherwise very similar.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Another all-singing-dancing Pioneer double-DIN retro-fitted in a Hymer A-class. Aerial on windscreen . DAB hopeless. We use FM, CD’s and internet radio via Wifi from the phone. Added a switch to the dash so the unit can be used with the ignition off.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We have a D43 PVC, a bit smaller than yours but otherwise very similar.
Ah, OK - I agree, much like ours. The only other thing is that our Pioneer unit is NOT a double din (I'm not very good with the tech, but I think that's the case - it only takes up one slot on the dash and leaves one vacant).

I should really check the model number, but I reckon it's a fairly basic DAB radio.

Of course reception may vary around the country, and we have just been lucky?

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I’ve ended up using my iPod plugged in to the Pioneer radio, that way I have hours of my choice of music with no drop out problems. Also no annoying adverts on commercial stations. FM reception is fine almost everywhere so I’m thinking DAB is just another big con to make us spend money.

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
I wanted the DAB to listen to 6 music and R5 live
5 live is hopless unless on DAB

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
In my experience, all car Radio's are a disappointment. On long journeys you lose signal, and you can guarantee that if you are in the middle of nowhere you can get Radio 3 on 6 different frequencies, but sod all else. I stockpile podcasts now and Bluetooth them to the Radio. Might even start with audio books.

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Well I have to point out that my Mk7 golf Dab has only dropped the signal once on a small section of the M74 south of Glasgow

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
85502EFC-5471-4969-857B-151BA085D129.png
Has anyone tried using the status Tv antenna with aerial point and the correct dab unit to get a Dab signal. Link to unit

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
View attachment 271420 Has anyone tried using the status Tv antenna with aerial point and the correct dab unit to get a Dab signal. Link to unit

Many of us dont have a Status Aeriel (did have on our last caravan) but dont have one on German vans. If I did however then yes, I would try the DAB adaptor.
Good luck, hope it works well for you, let us know how it performs.
Les

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Will do Les just bought the kit so will update after running 5 metres of cable from the wardrobe to the Pioneer in the front lol.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Many of us dont have a Status Aeriel (did have on our last caravan) but dont have one on German vans. If I did however then yes, I would try the DAB adaptor.
Good luck, hope it works well for you, let us know how it performs.
Les
Doesn't your Carthago aerial do DAB? A similar whip aerial on the Hymer roof does FM, DAB & TV, same aerial different amps.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Will do Les just bought the kit so will update after running 5 metres of cable from the wardrobe to the Pioneer in the front lol.
well done, but knowing my luck, having removed furnishings, fished cable through the tightest spots, then tying the cable in neatly with cable ties etc, removing footwells and replacing all the screws, cutting arms and hands reaching up behind dashboard where everything is designed to cut you.....the bloody cable will always be 12" too short:banghead::devil::devil::devil:
Good luck though, have plasters and a blood transfusion at the ready:D
Les

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Switch off of FM was slated for 2015... sort of missed that oe then..
What is farcical is that OfCom actually believes that digital radio coverage is equal to or better than FM reception throughout the country

• When local commercial and national DAB coverage reaches FM equivalence (criteria met)

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Doesn't your Carthago aerial do DAB? A similar whip aerial on the Hymer roof does FM, DAB & TV, same aerial different amps.
I only wish it did @Lenny HB, I found two aeriel feeds coiled up inside the dash board, one was the Fiat one, the other was the DVT Carthago one. I tried both, even with a DAB powered bullet splitter, the DVT roof mounted whip ariel one was crap. Best obtainable signal was had by using the Fiat ariel for FM, and a seperate windscreen mounted DAB aeriel for The DAB.
Think we will just continue to use the I Phone connected via USB to get Deezer or any radio station, as the system really wakes up and the sound is totaly up there, with the seperate amps and speaker upgrades that I have installed.
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I tried both, even with a DAB powered bullet splitter, the DVT roof mounted whip ariel one was crap.
Are you sure it's connected at the other end, may be left loose for fitting an aerial in line depending on options fitted. Hymer one gives superb FM, DAB & TV reception.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
493CB97E-5F7C-4527-9F9F-0782A43BA763.jpeg
7602FCBE-744D-4EB3-9D69-2B160028EED4.jpeg
The kit I purchased you can see the dedicated Dab connector and the separate FM, speaking with the Staus manufacturer there is no need to power the unit to provide signal, I have run it down the wardrobe after removing the corner trim via the drivers side seating following the existing wiring I then removed the Fiat footwell trims and got it as far as the dash, tomorrow I can remove the dedicated tablet holder from above the radio and connect it up and give it a test, at the minute I don’t get radio 2 whilst stationary on the drive so will know immediately if there’s any improvement.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Are you sure it's connected at the other end, may be left loose for fitting an aerial in line depending on options fitted. Hymer one gives superb FM, DAB & TV reception.
Yea thanks @Lenny HB , the trouble I have is there is no way of tracing wiring back to the underside of the roof mounted aerial, being a Carthago they dont give you any clues, as there is not a visible wires underneath it as they are probably hiddeen inside roof lining and go behind the top cupboards and down the walls by routing out the furniture upstands before they put the sidewalls on in the factory.
I have e mailed Carthago Customer services and despite giving a full description of the radio reception problem and asking if The DVT roof whip aeriel was OK for DAB, I got a very short answer back that went something like, "Yes install your radio, connect aeriel and it will work" I asked my dealer workshop if they knew, and was recommended to do as they do in these situations ask for the technicla dept on the customer services page of the website:banghead:
I have found a 2.5mm single red cable roled up inside the dash, there is no 12V feed on it, maybe that powers up the DVT aeriel, for the radio, dont know yet.
The TV works in a strong signal area, with the TV sending up a 5v feed from the Avtex TV menu options.
I might try one more e-mail, maybe I will get a bit more help from another member of the technical team this time, wish me luck on that.
Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back