DAB Radio on the move, Disappointment or What? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi everyone
Going through fun & games with my new all singing/dancing Pioneer AVIC Double Din Radio Head Unit, can any experienced DAB Car Radio enthusiasts offer any guidance please?
Problem:
Tried the 3 Ariel's in van, so far.
1st one roof mounted DAB/TV combo Ariel, weak DAB signal so no good.
2nd The Fiat wing mirror Ariel, fitted with inline DAB bullet booster, still no good while moving.
3rd Screen Mounted specific DAB Ariel, plays well whilst stationary, but cuts out and in while driving, so pretty useless also.
Question:
Is this the nature of what to expect on DAB Radio in that they are not suited to mobile/driving use?
The FM works well in all modes, but DAB on the move, big disappointment so far.
Thanks for any help you can give on this.
Les

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As it's worse when the engine is running perhaps you've got something switched on that is interfering with the signal. Satnavs and dashcams have been know to be culprits. We had a dodgy charger on the netbook computer we use for navigation; it died so we bought a quality charger, no more problems.

But as @DBK says it's not perfect everywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a DAB on our new Hymer it works really well never been able to get them to work properly on any other vehicle though and coverage in our area is rubbish.:rolleyes:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We put a DAB aerial on top of the awning box, just a ÂŁ15 Halfords job, get DAB reception better than on a factory fitted car job.

Which particular Pioneer did you buy ?

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We have a 2017 ih van conversion with standard Fiat roof ariel and Fiat touch screen DAB radio works well every where , we had a Bailey AA 765 (Peugeot) with ariel in wing mirror never did work on DAB

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
DAB is great when it works, but there are way too many dead areas in the UK where there is no signal.

Also often there might be a signal, but the number of stations available isn’t huge.

I still tend to use FM radio on the move, accepting that some of my more favoured stations aren’t available while I’m driving.

It’s not just down to the MH, the same issue occurs in both our cars, plus where we go to in Scotland has no DAB reception at all, according to the websites. And they still talk about switching non DAB transmissions off....

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I found DAB such a disappointment on the previous van that this time I made a point of buying a radio without DAB. It was also no good for English radio when abroad.

What I do like however is being able to stream digital radio from the phone via Bluetooth.

Radio 4 everywhere........... nice(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
How come progress,,ie,,cd s dvd s,,dab radios,,dig tv etc causes more problems that they are worth,,,Never lost the picture on analogue tv s when it snowed,,worst thing that could happen to a vinyl record was a scratch,,,,BUSBY,,:D:D

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I have used DAB on a wide number of vehicles, much depends on where you are and the install.

Generally I have found VW, BMW and Jaguar OEM installed units work well but there are still places it doesn’t work.

After market units, such as the Kenwood installed by VW dealer was rubbish, but probably because of the aerial.

The Peugeot installed unit in our camper is OK.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When the boffins developed DAB they got confused over the words making up the acronym and changed it....

It was decided it would be called Digital Audio Broadcast as Dodgy Availability Broadcast wouldn't look good on the sales blurb.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I hate the Pioneer DAB radio fitted to ours with a vengeance. Having found the setting for FM it's what we stick with.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
DAB is a myth. :)
It works in some places but there are a lot of places it doesn't.
Not my experience. I'm on my third DAB radio each fitted in a different vehicle. I use DAB / FM dual band amplified aerials mounted as high as possible which in the case of the mh is on the roof. DAB is a vast improvement over FM if only because the handover from one transmitter to the next has no effect on the audio. It's worth it for that alone. Coverage is, if anything, better than FM but the occasions where DAB is lost is in areas where FM is also noisy or non-existent. Generally FM & DAB share transmitter sites so dead areas will be in similar locations. Decent aerials are relatively expensive - from ÂŁ35 upwards. I wouldn't now consider a vehicle (or home) radio without DAB facilities.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

DAB works perfectly well in vehicles where the antenna is installed properly, usually during manufacture, with the correct ground plane.

It’s after market antennas that cause the problems, especially on vehicles like motorhomes where there is often nowhere suitable to fit them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi everyone
Going through fun & games with my new all singing/dancing Pioneer AVIC Double Din Radio Head Unit, can any experienced DAB Car Radio enthusiasts offer any guidance please?
Problem:
Tried the 3 Ariel's in van, so far.
1st one roof mounted DAB/TV combo Ariel, weak DAB signal so no good.
2nd The Fiat wing mirror Ariel, fitted with inline DAB bullet booster, still no good while moving.
3rd Screen Mounted specific DAB Ariel, plays well whilst stationary, but cuts out and in while driving, so pretty useless also.
Question:
Is this the nature of what to expect on DAB Radio in that they are not suited to mobile/driving use?
The FM works well in all modes, but DAB on the move, big disappointment so far.
Thanks for any help you can give on this.
Les

The DAB signal is getting stronger all the time so don’t give up.

In the motorhome all you can do is keep persevering and find the solution that works best for you.

I’m currently using one of these in the motorhome and the performance is better than anything else I’ve tried.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
DAB works great in my car, which was installed at manufacture.. , but was useless in the motorhome with an aftermarket antenna .

Even out in the sticks where reception is patchy for nearly everything, it's still very good.. and has a far greater selection of crap music to choose from.

Only station I miss is Planet Rock which is not on FM now and it's not in our DAB reception area either

check stations at your address here https://getdigitalradio.com/whats-on-dab/at-your-address/results?postcode=IP12+3da+&address=40

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yes but I only experienced no reception in very very few places , I wouldn’t be without dab it is great

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
You do have the Ariel power wire connected too?

I should have said that on the double din unit they can have a separate Ariel power wire :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have the avics unit and use a stick on aerial in the side cab window (a class) and generally it works nearly as well as the one in my lexus, I prefer dab when travelling as no need to keep retuning and greater variety, unfortunately France generally does not use dab so need to keep retuning and listening to crackles.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks for all the responses so far, I see I am not alone with this problem of DAB reception in the van.
Strong Warning nerdy bit coming:
As I have spent so much dosh & time so far on the DAB, Car Play head unit,plus door speaker upgrade (Focal FX 6.5" speaker kit), separate mono Harman Karden (Bi-Amp configured) power amps to separate component woofer & Tweeters, all rewired with Audio Quest RCA leads & 4mm oxygen free speaker cables with Active crossovers....then I aint about to give in easy, as it sounds so good with a fantastic sound stage and stereo imaging.
Carthago have mounted a very decent looking DAB/UHF Ariel on the roof with a large ground plate visible around it, it picks up TV OK in certain areas, so even though its a powered Ariel at 5vdc its still poor on DAB when moving. I wish I had a signal strength meter at times like this, maybe an oscilloscope also to check the signal being sent to the head unit but alas I aint got one.
NB: all this kit and still costs less than the cost of the Carthago Factory fitted Media pack):) I already had the Avtex TV though;)

Interesting that most of you suffer the drifting in/out DAB signal problem, its almost like its line of sight at times for signal reception.
My Pure stereo DAB radio is great at home but its stationary on the kitchen windowsill but still has problems with atmospheric conditions at times, and can sound like an Alien is presenting LBC.:eek:
next step is to try and get another roof mounted Ariel, that should be the best position to get DAB but whether or not it will stop the signal drift when driving is doubtful I feel.

Be interesting to see if its any better on our drive from Surrey to the Highlands in a week or two's time, may have to resort to Deezer via phone as usual. I guess I will be lucky to get any phone signal, yet alone TV up there in many areas.

Thanks again everyone for the help & encouragement thus far, I will keep on trying different Ariel's .
Les

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The first new car that we had with DAB installed from scratch had amazingly good reception, but it's a very difficult retrofit.

I haven't tried this myself yet but, does anyone think that putting the screen antenna onto the Heki rooflight would work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
The first new car that we had with DAB installed from scratch had amazingly good reception, but it's a very difficult retrofit.

I haven't tried this myself yet but, does anyone think that putting the screen antenna onto the Heki rooflight would work?
Initially sounds like a good plan that, putting on The Heki, however it may be a struggle to get a decent grounding up there as the roof and window are PVC. The stick on screen type Ariel's are positioned against the metal windscreen side pillar to get a decent grounding....or so I am told, maybe grounding the cable screen to some metal point before the Heki would work.
Let me know if you have a go at this and it works though.
Thanks
Les

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
If you want to listen to sport on the radio you need DAB

You don’t need DAB for Radio 5 Live, Talksport or sport on local radio. I agree that you do need it for Radio 5 Live Extra, although even some of their programmes - such as Test Match Special - are available on analogue channels.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are two options to obtain a decent groundplane when roof mounting. One is to mount the aerial on a small metal box itself mounted on the corner of a solar panel. The lead can come inside along with the solar cables. The other is when the aerial is mounted through the roof. If the roof is aluminium the aerial base underside washer must make good contact with the aluminium inside the mh. If the roof is GRP force four pieces of stiff wire into the foam of the ceiling in the form of a cross. Where the ends come together trap them with the washer & nut that holds the aerial base in place. The wires need be no longer than the aerial is tall.

Edit: I use a hole cutter by hand to cut through the ceiling and foam after drilling the roof. This creates a recess for the aerial base and, if the cutter is chosen carefully, a small aerosol cap will push in to tidy it up. It should be inside a locker anyway of course.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Not my experience. I'm on my third DAB radio each fitted in a different vehicle. I use DAB / FM dual band amplified aerials mounted as high as possible which in the case of the mh is on the roof. DAB is a vast improvement over FM if only because the handover from one transmitter to the next has no effect on the audio. It's worth it for that alone. Coverage is, if anything, better than FM but the occasions where DAB is lost is in areas where FM is also noisy or non-existent. Generally FM & DAB share transmitter sites so dead areas will be in similar locations. Decent aerials are relatively expensive - from ÂŁ35 upwards. I wouldn't now consider a vehicle (or home) radio without DAB facilities.
Tony,

Can you let me know what roof mounted aerial you use please?

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
We have just picked up an MH with a Pioneer AVIC-Z710 and the DAB reception is pretty poor, in fact with the ignition switched on it is pretty much non-existent. Neither of our phones will connect for Mirroring or via USB for some reason. The Bluetooth calling and music streaming works ok, but it seems like an expensive box of gimmicks if they don't really work.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What's wrong with FM? How many stations do we need for goodness sake?

DAB is one invention we really don't need, as the rest of Europe realises :whistle:

Actually most of Western Europe does have full DAB coverage. More information here:

DAB was an EU project to start with, it all began in Germany.

The reason that most of us can't pick up DAB broadcasts outside the UK is that receivers sold for the UK retail market operate on a different band to everyone else. Some of them will pick up broadcasts on both bands but not many.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back