Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I once took off for a long weekend in Wales, just me and the dogs while my wife jetted off to Spain for a few days on what used to be called a hens night
I went armed with some really simple recipes, all of which explained in great detail how to cook meat and two veg, unfortunately it didn't mention anything about the preparation side of things so naturally being a bloke with no culinary skills I just chucked the veg in boiling water and kept prodding it.
At this point I noticed weird things that resembled worms of various sizes floating on the surface.
I mention this just in case any of you fellers are thinking of doing something similar, don't forger to give your veg a good wash prior to cooking.
The question is and this is not just for the ladies, if there's no pub or restaurant close by what hearty meal would you recommend that doesn't take all night to prepare

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I favour pre cooking and reheating, as I’m on holiday I enjoy a bit of a break, so I don’t do a lot of actual cooking in the van. It tends to be very simple - mostly steak or fish with salad and new potatoes. I might push the boat out and make chicken goujons or a tikka kebab occasionally. Happy to provide recipes if they’re something you like the sound of.

I reckon you were just unlucky with the veg though. I never wash mine, and have never (knowingly) eaten boiled worms!

Upvote 0

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
Stews, casseroles, chilli etc are usually better when cooked in advance and then reheated. I would advise steering clear of fish, chicken or pork (a bit dodgy to reheat) but lamb or beef would be fine. You can make things even easier by adding potatoes to the stew, or go for couscous (just add boiling water and allow to stand) or any quick-cook pasta or rice in a pouch.
Don't forget bacon and eggs is a great one-pan meal!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You slipped up there we take frozen meals and just put them in the oven. SWMBO makes a selection before we leave so we have Lasagne, Sheperds Pie, Chicken Curry and anything else she feels like making that fits in the small aluminium trays. Really great we just add peas, rice etc. Also saves on washing up.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I also cook and freeze quite a few things before we go, including fish and chicken meals, not keen on pork. Great fan of chucking everything in the Remoska and hoping for the best. only had one failure, it was edible but wont be doing it again.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Stir fry is easy to do in a wok or deep frying pan. Bite sized pieces of chicken or other meat, fry for 3/4 minutes, add chopped veg, onions, peppers, mushrooms and fry for further few minutes, add jar of sauce and cook for further 5 minutes then add ready to wok noodles. Two minutes later all done. Simples..and only one pot to wash...

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just walk up to the nearest van at dinner time, armed with a bottle of wine, a few beers and 3 glasses, seems to work for many Funsters I am told:D
Les

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Fry up an onion and some mushrooms, add thickly sliced or diced chorizo sausage, add a tin of baby new potatoes and a tin of baked beans. Delicious.
You can use corned beef if you don't like spicy.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Right here’s what you do......

Get yourself down to your local supermarket and look for Old El Paso fajita kit (you can’t miss them bright yellow box)

Then follow the instructions on the box but cook on BBQ rather than the pan!

I add sugar when cooking the onions and peppers and you can add chilli mushrooms whatever tickles your fancy!

Bon appetite :D:D:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back