Credit Card Recommendations for Traveling Overseas (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Chase all the way.... We did 90days in the EU Oct onwards last year & they give excellent exchange rates
We also have a FairFX "preload" card, as a back up, and because of the great rates.

Nov 21, 2010
Newark
Funster No
MH
hightop camper
Exp
15 years
This year our Santander credit card did not work in many situations. Luckily we took some cash.

Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
Has anyone used the currensea card which is linked to your UK bank a/c so avoiding exchange rates etc.
Yes I used it on a couple of trips last year and will do again this year. I worked very well. FX Rates were good and got immediate notification of £ spent. Just remember it is a debit card not a credit card !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
You can use a Santander debit card for free cash withdrawals in Spain and other places. See this from their website - *We won't charge you when you use your personal debit card to make withdrawals at Santander cash machines abroad. You'll find our cash machines in Spain, Germany, Poland, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and the USA. Make sure you choose to pay in the local currency to avoid being charged any other fees."

Jul 13, 2021
Launceston, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 175 2013
Exp
Since 2011
Which credit cards or prepaid ones do you use when travelling abroad
got stuck in germany last year had plenty of cash but the site at hamlen did not accept payment only by card via pay pal didnt have that either I
Sorry about abupt end to last reply We have HSBC internal card you just load it up and use it like another card it has been accepted every where we have traveled if you do online banking its great

Aug 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli Plus
We use our Revolut card for most things, we have others as backup (First Direct, Starling, Lloyds).
The Revolut app is very good, the card is excellent for getting cash if you need from an ATM

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
This year our Santander credit card did not work in many situations. Luckily we took some cash.
I've always notified them before travel, and not had an issue using my Santander cards abroad. I think they say you don't need to do this now, but I'm not sure I believe them!
I also always take a Lloyds card too, and try to have Visa and Mastercard options as it seems some places prefer one over the other.

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
I am surprised and worried that nobody mentioned Caxton preload card. I've been using it for several years with no problem and the rate has always been acceptable.
A word of caution for taking cash (Euros) from an ATM. We are so accustomed to the message "Take your card" and then the cash pops out. At one particular bank in Greece the first message was "Take your cash". I did this ansd while trying to put the cash in a wallet and then put the wallet away the card popped out and within a few seconds popped back in. I had to abandon the card and ordered another one from Caxton which they sent to a friends UK address and they posted the card to me in Greece.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
I am surprised and worried that nobody mentioned Caxton preload card
Caxton may not have any obvious charges but the exchange rate is not very good. They get there money that way with a stealth percentage on each transaction. Many other banks and card providers do this too so you need to check the exchange rate your card offers Vs the actual market rate.

We use Halifax Clarity for most transactions and Starling for getting cash from cash machine. They both use the pure Visa or MasterCard exchange rate on the day of the transaction with no additional charges.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think anyone has mentioned Curve. It is an intermediary card in that you link your other cards to it, the transactions go through Curve then to your debit/credit card provider. It means that we can use our UK only cards whilst abroad (ie ones that make charges if used abroad directly) as they are charged via Curve in the UK so they think they are UK spends. There are various levels of card from free to costlier ones but with more benefits if you need them. We just use the free version which works well for us.

One advantage for us is that we have some 0% credit cards so can spend time on them via Curve and don't have to pay the balance off for a long time.

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
We have Nationwide debit cards and a Euro account with a Dutch bank. I try to use the latter in France / Spain, to avoid currency exchange fees. Sometimes it wont work (Maestro system) while the Nationwide in £ does (Visa system). Vey annoying! Happens especially at tolls and unmanned fuel stations.

Fiddler

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 30, 2023
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Exp
Since 2010, caravans before that(1978)
Don't they charge you on the exchange rate they give you?
Sorry for the delay in responding. No charges at all, you get the Visa/Mastercard rate as you would with any transaction. Other cards mentioned do have the same deal.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Mrs CC has her credit card for emergency, unfortunately not allowed to look at that☹️but I just use my Revolut for everything 👍

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We use Barclaycard Rewards card, no foreign transaction fees, interbank exchange rate, cashback and no interest if paid in full at the end of the month, even for cash withdrawals.

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
I've used Halifax Clarity for years but now other equally good options are around. My bank, First Direct, removed all charges for using your debit card abroad last year so now tend to use that. Still use Clarity for fuel just to keep it functioning. Payed off by DD each month.
On Martin Lewis's site you can check your own card for hidden charges etc....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back