Credit Card Recommendations for Traveling Overseas (2 Viewers)

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Nationwide debit card, Halifax Clarity and a Wise card with various currency accounts. In Europe, using it takes money from the Euro account. This is the one we mostly use.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
We've used Wise since they were Transferwise and their free currency card has been great. Rates are always good.

Smart for larger transactions.
I second this. It’s what we use and so simple. We have a virtual Euro visa card that is used to pay contactless for everything. Just transfer some pounds to the pound account then however much needed to the Euro account. When done, change it back. You get the mid market rate and clear exchange fees. Note it’s slightly more expensive to change a Euro balance back to £, but no issue as there shouldn’t be that much left on your € balance when heading back to UK.

You can also get 4.7% on £ balances and 3.7% on euro balances, or if you take some risk it’s possible to get even higher returns on any balance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I use Barclaycard and M&S MasterCard , both charge 2.99%, don't bother hunting around , but pay in Euros

May 5, 2023
Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail vline 600
Exp
3 months
We are in morocco at the moment and first direct debit works well with good exchange rate. For cash withdrawal we find a Post Marroc as they don't charge for cash.
In Portugal we found Santander didn't charge for cash. Withdrawals.
Also have Halifax Clarity CC as back up.

Oct 21, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
since Feb 2018
Revolut and nationwide for us! Both a good arsenal to have with you.

Apr 30, 2014
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Timberland pvc
Exp
On and off over 30years
Starling works well for us.
Managed to speak to a human who reassured me that an automated filling station in France hadn’t robbed me 🤬
Instant payment confirmation using Apple Pay.
Had a business account for years as well with no charges.

Apr 6, 2015
Yate, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner 850-2
Exp
Revolut and monza, both topped up from lloyds debit card - no charges accrued. Swmbo in South Africa at moment using without charges.

Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Unicaja in Spain currently no charges.

Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Revolut and HSBC Global Money card works WW for us.
I’m with HSBC they know I’m in Europe so have emailed me and offered the Global money card. Is it worth getting DT 👍

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Starling. You can lock it using your mobile so when some light-fingered scrote nicks it , it becomes worthless to them .

Pretty common these days, we can do this with Nationwide. Either freeze it temporarily or report it lost. If you do either Google pay still works on your phone so if you lose your card on holiday (like I did last year) you aren't stuck with no means to pay, and you come home to your new cards.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Revolut all the way for local purchases and Halifax Clarity for fuel. Revolut gives better exchange rates and you’re only paying in the local currency (Euros) if you’ve added euros in the first place.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Santander Zero ----- No Charges --- Although they may have stopped it.

Virgin Cash Card for Euros -------- No charges

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Starling. You can lock it using your mobile so when some light-fingered scrote nicks it , it becomes worthless to them .
you can do that with Revolut and no doubt most other cards

in saying that, I only use the physical card for places that I can't use contactless with the mobile.

ie .. unmanned fuel stations ..

so don't carry the cards when out shopping .. I have them in the Apple wallet ..mobile is all I carry ..and perhaps a few € notes for places like markets that only take cash

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Starling and Wise with Halifax for credit card transactions.

Both Starling and wise allow you a “Euro Account”. Exchange money when rates suit you, keep them in your Euro account. Transactions in Euro are paid from your Euro account no further e change rate losses. If you run out of euros it automatically takes the rest from your pound account.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Has anyone used the currensea card which is linked to your UK bank a/c so avoiding exchange rates etc.
Yes, we’ve used Currensea the last 2 or 3 years - works brilliantly. But as shown by this thread we all think the card we’ve used is the best!

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Caxton. Load it up, then pay in any local currency. Top up whenever you want.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We both have Revolut cards for food and general spending and usually keep just a couple of hundred € in it as balance before topping up. Mine is also linked to the Fulli account for payment of any monthly toll invoices. Also have a Halifax Clarity card for payment of any fuel as I just like to keep that separate - plus any emergency spending.
Very similar to our card use, Revolut for spending and fulli, Barclay card for fuel

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
We've used Wise since they were Transferwise and their free currency card has been great. Rates are always good.

Smart for larger transactions.
Yes, we have used WISE since it's inception as TransferWise, and it is brilliant. The app is easy to use and you can either keep your money in GBP or exchange it at preferred rates into different currency pots, this always getting the best rates. You can even have instant access investment pots as well. Can't say a bad thing about it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back