Council tax for Motorhome on Drive!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We’ve seen advance notice of plans where an increase Council tax is proposed for anyone who has a motorhome parked on their drive. Bizarrely only motorhomes are mentioned and it looks like caravans will escape this new stealth tax.

We knew they were going to have to claw money back somehow and the Government in its wisdom is going to include motorhomes as an annexe to the property which could add around £35/45 a month to the average council tax bill.

I've been told this tax will be automatically applied via calculations made from the Motor Insurers Database. When you tell your insurer that the motorhome is stored on your drive, somehow this will automatically link up with central council tax records. So if you tell them you keep it on your drive you might want to reconsider.

As I understand it. We will be able to obtain partial refunds but only if the motorhome is parked away from home for longer than 30 continuous days.
Frankly, this is ridiculous. The big motorhome clubs received the same letters about this tax as us but as yet have not gone public. All the clubs should band together to fight this, but as yet I can’t get them to even comment.

I know there are more important things happening right now but It is imperative that we get the ball rolling quickly, we can’t just leave this to the big clubs as they will likely just rollover to the demand

To this end I have started a petition and would encourage all motorhome owners to sign it ASAP Many thanks Stop The Motorhome Council Tax

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes, I have a friend who works in the council and they are currently touring around the area and photographing motorhomes on driveways to update their database.
Our local council has farmed it out to Google to do whilst they're doing there street view drive arounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
That’s it, I’m painting the van urban camouflage, well it worked in Berlin to fool the ruskies. :whistle2:
3E6C23CB-A2AC-43EF-8A7D-45D59E22CD1B.jpeg

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry if I deleted your post, I wanted to keep it going as long as possible. That was going in the April Magazine, but as that is a week late at least; it would have looked a bit foolish. :D

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
You‘d be a fool not to camouflage your Motorhome. I've ordered some fast growing privets and a tarp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back