Cooking Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
We have been caravanners and motorhomers for as long as I can remember but in all that time we have never used the built in oven and always felt that the space would be better used as a storage..... BUT.....
We currently have a 2007 motorhome which doesn't have a built in microwave so we bought one and carry it in the bottom of the wardrobe when not in use. Mrs K and I were having a conversation about the space it takes up and whether we really need it and then we got on to the fact that people now carry air fryers, soup makers and all sorts of cooking gadgets these days but as storage is at a premium my wife said she didn't want to carry anymore gadgets.
Then, (shock horror!), she said perhaps we should make more use of the oven!
This revelation has made me wonder what cooking preferences others have. Obviously, using the oven would use more gas but otherwise is it an efficient way of cooking in the van? Do we really need the microwave?
I would be interested to know what you all do...!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We have used our oven a lot whilst in Spain but our go-to bit of kit is an electric frying pan. It gets used for curries, stews, fry ups, helping with bbq cooking.
We have just uprated our Moho so the next thing is to start taking our microwave away again.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Plug in table top oven from Lidl for roasting, grilling and rotisserie work (chicken, suckling pig, etc) which lives in the garage. It's only 1500w so draws 6.5 amps max. Remolska for most small roasts, etc. Cadac with my lava rock mod for grilling /mockbq. With that lot and two gas rings we can cook anything we want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I always thought an oven was a great asset to have but since we have a microwave and a small air fryer the oven rarely gets used .they are heavy on gas and that's another issue now its getting harder to get hold of in the uk. France / Spain , no problems.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Obviously, using the oven would use more gas but otherwise is it an efficient way of cooking in the van? Do we really need the microwave?
I would be interested to know what you all do...!
I guess it depends on the oven. Ours is a fairly recent Dometic gas oven, and frankly it is not worth the space it takes up. Some people only use them for storage. Also we do have a microwave, but rarely use mains electricity. We enquired about removing both and replacing them with matching doors which proved to be too expensive. So we cart these useless (to us) items around UK and abroad. Cooking is mostly oven top, but we do have a double skillet, but I am considering an air fryer for decent chips. It does depend on how you travel and camp.

OP
OP
DK1083
Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Plug in table top oven from Lidl for roasting, grilling and rotisserie work (chicken, suckling pig, etc) which lives in the garage. It's only 1500w so draws 6.5 amps max. Remolska for most small roasts, etc. Cadac with my lava rock mod for grilling /mockbq. With that lot and two gas rings we can cook anything we want.
Unfortunately we don't have a garage so storage is at a premium for bulky items.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've read that ovens aren't a common item in continental m/h's because most folk cook outdoors in the fine weather.
Many use a gas-fired faux BBQ but I can't be doing with the faff of carting plates, cutlery, condiments, drinks etc. out and then back in again, plus the irritation of sharing rapidly cooling food with wasps and flies at a wobbly chest high table, and then the doom cloud of rubber gloves and CIF for the impending chore of having to clean the filthy thing afterwards. :confused:

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Mr D Thermal Cooker

No good for when want instant snacks, quick meals but uses so little gas/heat up time.

Cooks while you travel or while you've gone out for the day.

Plan ahead meals .. currys, stews rice, cakes, a whole dinner and veg .. all sorts , but not instant.

Mr D's website looks a bit dated, I haven't seen updates, everything looks a bit neglected, there are no new recipes and I don't know if he is still around .. but you can still order stuff.

OP
OP
DK1083
Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
I've read that ovens aren't a common item in continental m/h's because most folk cook outdoors in the fine weather.
Many use a gas-fired faux BBQ but I can't be doing with the faff of carting plates, cutlery, condiments, drinks etc. out and then back in again, plus the irritation of sharing rapidly cooling food with wasps and flies at a wobbly chest high table, and then the doom cloud of rubber gloves and CIF for the impending chore of having to clean the filthy thing afterwards. :confused:
We ditched the Cadac for a Teppanyaki hot plate. Easier to clean and store and it cooks anything a BBQ does!

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have a two burner hob and a Remoska. No problems at all. Previous van had an oven which we didn’t use, a grill which we did, for toast, and a microwave which we used occasionally. When we were thinking of this van we went through what we cook and decided what we now have would be fine, and it has been. No regrets. Dry fry toast by the way.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We have a Remoska and electric outdoor grill. I can't stand the faff of cleaning a greasy grubby BBQ every time I cook something. The oven in our van is useless it takes twice the time to cook things but makes the van lovely and toasty in the winter but it's mainly used for storage. I have started using the microwave to steam veg recently plus I have a brilliant microwave bacon cooking tray which really does make the bacon go crispy. I also have a microwave grill which makes brilliant toasted sandwiches and quesadillas. Can you tell we are not wild campers:giggle:(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use our oven a lot swmbo does all the cooking. We also have a microwave which I sometimes use for fish, as swmbo is allergic we need to avoid cross contamination.
I do the washing up.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Have always used our ovens.
Off grid Christmas dinner using our oven 👍
IMG_3017.jpeg

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
PVC 2 gas rings gas oven microwave(inverter) inside ,2 gas rings and grill outside...also have a Gas griddle small commercial type for outside but seldom take it now
On grid off grid sun no sun max nix

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not having an oven in our next van, but will probably have an air fryer it's basically an oven anyway. We don't use EHU but will be fitting around 500ah of Lithium.
Would never have a microwave, hardly use the one at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back