Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Like many others, I suspect the majority, we have glass panels covering the hob and sink on our PVC. As time goes bye, no mater how careful we try to be, they are getting scratched and we are always fearful of breaking them, in fact the previous owner had the cooker panel explode when she left the gas burner on by mistake! Not an unusual occurrence I understand šŸ˜€
Has anyone replaced the glass tops with another, more suitable material, say stainless steel or aluminium. Or is there a company who could make them to order from templates?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It would still ruin it if you left the gas on, and scratches and knocks would still show. Plus wouldn't look as good in my opinion.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
My brother left his cellphone on top of the hob cover and the glass suddenly exploded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I replaced the shattered glass top with a sheet of aluminium of exactly the same shape and thickness. Aluminium is about the same density as glass, so it feels much the same in weight and function.

I ordered a rectangular sheet on the internet, then rounded the corners with a jigsaw and file. I drilled a hole for the finger hole, and enlarged it to the right size with a round file, then refitted the black grommet which hides the edges of the hole. I carefully measured the position of the hinge holes. I think the natural aluminium looks fine, but it's possible to get it 'anodised', either natural or a range of colours, if you want it to look like the black glass. Anodising gives it a hard surface layer that is more scratch-resistant.

I regard the glass top below a storage cupboard that might contain cans and jars as a basic design error.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We keep all cans in low cupboards, safer for the glass and helps with vehicle handing. Only crisps and packet stuff above the hob šŸ‘Œ

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I was so afraid of breaking the glass covers that I have removed them and stored them safely.
There is less packing up to move as there are no rattles and the dish drainer stays put.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Nothing works on our hob or oven until the glass cover is lifted - as she keeps telling me.......................! ::bigsmile:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We keep plain black anti slip mats on top of ours when they are closed. When open I roll up the mats and tuck them in the small gap we have between the back of the cupboard behind the hob and the wall of the PVC, itā€™s at the edge of the sliding door so just handy.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Recently I moved items from the cupboards above the hob. We used to keep tins and jars needed for cooking.
I caught a jar of jam in mid flight after a rather rough road.
The other cupboard is for the crockery. That is held in shaped holders so there shouldnā€™t be anything falling out. The tins and jars have found a new home away from the hob. By chance the containers for pasta rice and cereals now stand upright in the new cupboard.
A friend of mine had a jar of coffee take flight on route. It took out the glass sink cover and the mirror on the other side of the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In order to protect ours I covered the glass hob and sink covers in our Globecar with Fablon type sticky stuff in a nice woodgrain effect (see below), I've done the same for the hob in our Carthago too (sorry no photo!). This protected them and even if the lids were put down straight after the hob had been used (burner turned off!) it never bubbled etc, when I came to sell it I just removed it and the glass tops were as good as new.

fablon 2.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back