Constant buzzing in cab of Ducato 2008 Ci Mizar (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
hello everyone ,I’m at my wits end ! I’ve bought a new to me 2008 Ducato 130 CI mizar motorhome , with an after market alarm. The buzzing noise is constant , I’ve checked everything, door contacts, hab step (there isn’t one) everything works fine, drives well etc, I’ve traced the fuse to the radio/windows/alarm so can pull this but non of these will work . Trouble is the tone of the buzzing seems like it’s coming from the cab but my ears can’t seem to locate it. I’ve fitted a new radio so had 1/2 the dash out and couldn’t find anything , I’ve disconnected the battery for an hour, also the alarm siren and still no joy. I’m ready to throw the towel in and get an auto electrician involved but don’t want to admit defeat! I’m really hoping someone has had this issue and knows what it is ;)
thanks in advance
anthony

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know this will be hard to describe but how loud is it? Does it sound like some sort of alarm? Our van has an audible alarm if I start the engine with the step out but I wouldn't describe it as a "buzz" it is very loud

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
Thanks for the reply. It’s quite loud, like a high pitched screech , probably why it sounds like it’s everywhere and I can’t detect It. I’m happy to snip what ever it is making the noise but can’t locate it. Everything’s working well so it can’t be anything sinister.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 1

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the reply. It’s quite loud, like a high pitched screech , probably why it sounds like it’s everywhere and I can’t detect It. I’m happy to snip what ever it is making the noise but can’t locate it. Everything’s working well so it can’t be anything sinister.
Do you have an electric step?

But beside that if it is some sort of warning buzzer it is likely to be fitted below the dashboard on the driver's side.

You could try using a short length of hose like an ear trumpet. Put one end by your ear and search around with the other to locate the source of the sound. A stethoscope would be even better. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
No electric step and no wires to suggest that one’s been removed . stethoscope could be a shout, it’s so weird the noise is of such a tone that i can’t sense where it is , im going to spend another night tomorrow trying to locate it , will look there again .

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Last year in France I heard what for all the world sounded like intermitant electrical short / sparking from an overhead locker containing the Oyster control box.
Everything worked, no smoke, smell or overheating and continued after 12 volts turned off.
Had me completely puzzled, but to be safe I left the power turned off overnight and we listened to this intermitant noise.
It came and went over the next couple of days then went completely.
I didn't think anymore about it until earlier this spring when I was clearing out the locker and found a dead Shield bug.
I can only assume it wad this critter making the shorting noise

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Does it make noise all the time or only when engine running?

if when engine running could be the vacuum solenoid, which is fixed under the windscreen on the back of the mid point bracket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
Thanks for the reply. There is a road pro satellite on the roof and to be honest I’ve not even powered it up yet , only had the MH about 5 weeks , I’ll look at this as a matter of course and hopefully spot something. This moose is constant with no Sign of becoming intermittent

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
Does it make noise all the time or only when engine running?

if when engine running could be the vacuum solenoid, which is fixed under the windscreen on the back of the mid point bracket.
Hi, it makes the noise at first click of the key and when driving, never heard of a vacuum solenoid, what does that do? I think I know where you mean though:)

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hi, it makes the noise at first click of the key and when driving, never heard of a vacuum solenoid, what does that do? I think I know where you mean though:)
The vacuum solenoid controls supplying the vacuum to operate the EGR, and they are known to buzz quite bit making a noise. With bonnet open you will see a metal bracket at the mid point of the windscreen and on the back of that is where it’s mounted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
The vacuum solenoid controls supplying the vacuum to operate the EGR, and they are known to buzz quite bit making a noise. With bonnet open you will see a metal bracket at the mid point of the windscreen and on the back of that is where it’s mounted.
It’s interesting you say this as, the noise continues for about 2 seconds after the key is turned off, and when I was under the bonnet I thought it came from there, will look into this tomorrow night 👍🏻how will I know if its faulty, just replace as a matter of course ?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sounds like the relay that the fuse controls is faulty

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It’s interesting you say this as, the noise continues for about 2 seconds after the key is turned off, and when I was under the bonnet I thought it came from there, will look into this tomorrow night 👍🏻how will I know if its faulty, just replace as a matter of course ?
if it takes a few seconds after ignition off, it is controlled by the body control module. Still think it is a bad relay

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You will know if it is it by holding it whilst noise is happening. But be aware if you disconnect the electrical connection to it, whilst ignition is on, it will bring engine warning light on that will need plug in reader to clear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
You will know if it is it by holding it whilst noise is happening. But be aware if you disconnect the electrical connection to it, whilst ignition is on, it will bring engine warning light on that will need plug in reader to clear.
Ok sounds like a good shout, noted; make sure ignition is off before removing Thanks for the replies :)

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hi l thanks for the reply , so you mean the relay which the radio/alarm/windows fuse goes to ? Where will the relay be, right side of the engine bay ?
If your noise stops when the radio/alarm/windows fused is pulled it won’t be vac solenoid as that won’t be on that circuit. But that bracket is where I’ve seen alarm sounders mounted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
Thanks everyone for the replies……but I’ve succumbed to enlisting an auto electrician. I’m beyond my skill set so he’s coming Friday morning and I’ll hopefully let you all know the (positive) outcome, it may help someone out at a later date 👍🏻

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just back in from working on a friend's car, and the job reminded me of a fault on my last van. Slightly different, as the noise was there without the key in though. It was water in the bottom of the fusebox on the inner wing. This caused the windscreen washer pump to run constantly. No water being sprayed as the pump was ruined. Unplugged the pump, noise gone, so ordered a new one and as I waited, I cleaned and dried the fusebox. Not saying yours is water in the fusebox, but the source of the noise took a while to find

Upvote 1
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
Just back in from working on a friend's car, and the job reminded me of a fault on my last van. Slightly different, as the noise was there without the key in though. It was water in the bottom of the fusebox on the inner wing. This caused the windscreen washer pump to run constantly. No water being sprayed as the pump was ruined. Unplugged the pump, noise gone, so ordered a new one and as I waited, I cleaned and dried the fusebox. Not saying yours is water in the fusebox, but the source of the noise took a while to find
It may well be a water induced problem, it’s very weird how I can’t locate the noise by listening , it’s a certain pitch that my ears can’t source ! The chap I’ve got coming seemed very confident so let hope he can suss it out 👍🏻

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Nov 18, 2022
Rossendale, UK
Funster No
MH
buying next year
Hi folks, sort of a progress report……the auto electrician spent 2 hours trying to source the buzzing , half the dash board
was out, fuse box and relays all checked still no solution, as the issue was on the radio fuse he’s going to bypass this circuit and re wire the radio to another circuit, so not solving the issue but bypassing it. Trouble here is the radio has a start up voltage of 5v so he’s coming back this week with a 12v to 5v reducer thingy as he could not find a 5v circuit . He’s not charged me anything yet and said he won’t do until it’s solved and I’m happy , so hopefully the end is nigh 👍🏻

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Sorry for jumping in my Renault master swb has a buzz that continues for a few minutes after you turn it if I have also noticed the tick over is slightly higher than my camper only by a very little also when changing gear the revs seam to hang back dont drop quite as quick
Could these symptoms also point to the buzz and egr

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It may well be a water induced problem, it’s very weird how I can’t locate the noise by listening , it’s a certain pitch that my ears can’t source !
Probably the wavelength of the sound is about the same as the size of your head. It's a survival strategy used by small mammals and birds to sound an alarm without giving away their position. You locate a direction by the time difference between the sound arriving at your two ears.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Sorry for jumping in my Renault master swb has a buzz that continues for a few minutes after you turn it if I have also noticed the tick over is slightly higher than my camper only by a very little also when changing gear the revs seam to hang back dont drop quite as quick
Could these symptoms also point to the buzz and egr
DPF regeneration?

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
hello everyone ,I’m at my wits end ! I’ve bought a new to me 2008 Ducato 130 CI mizar motorhome , with an after market alarm. The buzzing noise is constant , I’ve checked everything, door contacts, hab step (there isn’t one) everything works fine, drives well etc, I’ve traced the fuse to the radio/windows/alarm so can pull this but non of these will work . Trouble is the tone of the buzzing seems like it’s coming from the cab but my ears can’t seem to locate it. I’ve fitted a new radio so had 1/2 the dash out and couldn’t find anything , I’ve disconnected the battery for an hour, also the alarm siren and still no joy. I’m ready to throw the towel in and get an auto electrician involved but don’t want to admit defeat! I’m really hoping someone has had this issue and knows what it is ;)
thanks in advance
anthony
It’s possible it’s a relay cycling in and out rapidly. I’ve come across it several times on split charge relays….

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2023
Merthyr Tydfil, UK
Funster No
MH
Giottivan
Exp
I know this will be hard to describe but how loud is it? Does it sound like some sort of alarm? Our van has an audible alarm if I start the engine with the step out but I wouldn't describe it as a "buzz" it is very loud
Yep I had the same problem and couldn't work out where it was coming from. It actually sounded like it was overhead. It was the step alarm positioned under the drivers seat.
I snipped the wires until I can get it fixed under warranty.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back