Confusion reigns please help! (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Hi everyone - we are newbies! We have an Auto Trail Apache 700 2018. We are in the outer Hebrides, amazing, gorgeous island. Anyway, have been plugged into the mains all week. Went to move the Motorhome today and the vehicle battery is completely dead. Our understanding was that if we are plugged into the mains all of our electrics would be powered from the leisure battery which would be charged by the mains hookup. So why is the vehicle battery flat? We haven’t done anything obvious to drain the battery. Help or suggestions needed please. Thank you.

Solution
hi welcome, that really bad luck for you. dont know your motorhome system but would have thought that with a 2018 build the charger would have supported the charging of both batteries. i can only think that there is a switch that isolates the cab battery from the charger.
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome, that really bad luck for you. dont know your motorhome system but would have thought that with a 2018 build the charger would have supported the charging of both batteries. i can only think that there is a switch that isolates the cab battery from the charger.

Upvote 1
Solution
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
It could be a dead cell in the starter battery, get a jump start and see if it recharges it,
But depending on its age ( 4 years is normal) it might need replacing,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Someone with same model may come along. However, in the meantime, you are correct that your habitation electrics will be powered from hanitation battery and charged by the mains you are plugged in to.
Charging the vehicle battery though is different. Some MHs have a switch on th3 charger or on the control panel to switch between batteries for charging, Some set ups have an additional device which charges both batteries called a Battery Master.
Some MHs only charge the vehicle battery when driving.
You need to look in your manual to see what you have.

Upvote 1
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you have not already jump started the van, make sure you connect to the jump start points under the bonnet both on the far right as you look in ( assuming its a fiat ).

the airbag ecu in particular does not like spikes in power on extended periods of depleted battery. just a watch out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Apr 9, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
We have jump started and got it going again. Kept it running for quite a while but absolutely flat still. We have a Sargent EC700 power supply unit. Control panel on photo. Current power settings on photo. Of course it could just be we need a new battery 😫

Attachments

• 1CA2AC25-917D-4A03-A452-A258179177A1.jpeg
    1CA2AC25-917D-4A03-A452-A258179177A1.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 1B01308F-35B2-4268-A58D-46AC09324499.jpeg
    1B01308F-35B2-4268-A58D-46AC09324499.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The first picture shows you are using power from the engine battery and not the leisure. That could be why you flattened it.
Go to Sargent website and download the manual for the EC unit and control panel. My Autotrail 700 was 2012 so had the older system.

You also need to be aware of how the smart charge system works otherwise you may find the solar system does not charge both batteries unless set correctly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Apr 9, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Thank you. We were told that by plugging into the mains and picking the V for vehicle this would charge the V battery do you know if this is correct.

Upvote 1

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thank you. We were told that by plugging into the mains and picking the V for vehicle this would charge the V battery do you know if this is correct.
Sorry not familiar with that system mine was a previous and simpler version on a 2012 Apache 700.
The smart function should charge both batteries no need to select anything.
As said, Sargent website and download the manual for that model 👍👍

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi everyone - we are newbies! We have an Auto Trail Apache 700 2018. We are in the outer Hebrides, amazing, gorgeous island. Anyway, have been plugged into the mains all week. Went to move the Motorhome today and the vehicle battery is completely dead. Our understanding was that if we are plugged into the mains all of our electrics would be powered from the leisure battery which would be charged by the mains hookup. So why is the vehicle battery flat? We haven’t done anything obvious to drain the battery. Help or suggestions needed please. Thank you.
Hi, I can’t help you with your battery issue except to say, is there any fuses near the Sargent unit that may have blown?
Also how are you finding the campsites? I am coming across tomorrow for 3 or 4 weeks, are they busy, is there much Off grid camping going on ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Apr 9, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Hi we are in North Uist at the moment - not a lot of wild camping going on here. There are a few spots we have come across for smaller vans - some ask for a donation/honesty box £10 per night. Harris had more wild camping going on. Definite feel here that being on a site is preferred. Sites we have stayed on are very good - toilet disposal, laundry, all very clean. sites pretty busy but are starting to empty out now. Have a great trip! We are on our way to Barra tomorrow

Upvote 1
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi we are in North Uist at the moment - not a lot of wild camping going on here. There are a few spots we have come across for smaller vans - some ask for a donation/honesty box £10 per night. Harris had more wild camping going on. Definite feel here that being on a site is preferred. Sites we have stayed on are very good - toilet disposal, laundry, all very clean. sites pretty busy but are starting to empty out now. Have a great trip! We are on our way to Barra tomorrow
Thanks, I don’t really want to wild camp much, if you have time could you let me know which sites you used and whether you could book or not, I had heard that most don’t take bookings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Apr 9, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Isle of Harris we stayed at Seilebost School and Parc Niseaboist all run by the West Harris Trust (beautiful views, next to beaches). Uist we stayed at Balranald camp site next to the nature reserve. Great sites. These are popular sites and we pre booked.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like your vehicle battery is getting a charge, even if it wasn't if shouldn't go flat in a week it points to the battery has had it.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Isle of Harris we stayed at Seilebost School and Parc Niseaboist all run by the West Harris Trust (beautiful views, next to beaches). Uist we stayed at Balranald camp site next to the nature reserve. Great sites. These are popular sites and we pre booked.
Thanks for the heads up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Apr 9, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Hi everyone thanks again for the replies on my post last night. Just thought a few of you may be interested in an update! So, we jump started the MH this morning and got to the ferry terminal (almost) without drama. Driving onto ferry we stalled - look of horror on our faces and also the guys on the ferry as the tide was rising! - jump started again and yay MH + trailer in situ, phew. Arrive in Barra, get onto site, battery still dead as. However, we then disconnected the trailer and low and behold we have no issue with starting the MH!! V battery level on control panel all back to normal. We are now thinking it’s the trailer that drained the battery. We have never had this problem before towing this trailer on our MH. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like a dead short on the trailer loom somewhere I think I would check with a multi tester 🤔

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi everyone thanks again for the replies on my post last night. Just thought a few of you may be interested in an update! So, we jump started the MH this morning and got to the ferry terminal (almost) without drama. Driving onto ferry we stalled - look of horror on our faces and also the guys on the ferry as the tide was rising! - jump started again and yay MH + trailer in situ, phew. Arrive in Barra, get onto site, battery still dead as. However, we then disconnected the trailer and low and behold we have no issue with starting the MH!! V battery level on control panel all back to normal. We are now thinking it’s the trailer that drained the battery. We have never had this problem before towing this trailer on our MH. Any thoughts?
Probably just dirty connections so get some silicone spray, not WD40 and spray and clean after you have tested with multimeter, now where on Barra are you going to get Silicone Spray and a multimeter on a sunday, no chance ! The wee frees will not let the shops open so you may have to wait until Monday unless the campsite owners don’t have anything to help with.
For the record just arrived at Laxdale camp site north of Stornaway for 2 nights, then move every 2 nights until we get to Barra on the 7th, Dee doesn’t know it yet but I have booked us in to the Castlebay Hotel so she can have a looong soak in a bath, because neither of us can do hand stands in our van 😝😝😝😝

Upvote 0

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
We had exactly the same problem. We have a battery master fitted, and for some reason, it got confused .switched everything off for a couple of hours, restarted, and everything back to normal.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back