Confused re propane (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I always understood regarding residential use of propane for heating and/or cooking that bottles had to be outside and piped through external walls for safety reasons. Butane was okay for inside use.
So, how come my newly acquired pvc has a locker just inside the sliding side door with two propane bottles in it.
And reading elsewhere on the subject of gas it seems a whole host of van owners do likewise.
Have I got it wrong?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe on resedntial properties the gas bottle is outside because of the size that is permitted to be inside. In terms of volume of gas stored inside a dwellining.
Also butane is not normally available in such large bottles and becomes inoperative in colder weather.
BUT, AS SAID ABOVE any gas locker in a van should be sealed away from the van interior and vented to outside

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What you are referring to is for houses as said Motor homes have special enclosures. I can only assume for a house butane is allowed inside because it is stored at much lower pressure.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Thanks all.
I'll go and check my locker but doubtless it will be okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Domestic gas and electric rules don't apply to motorhomes in the same way.
You can do as you please in a motorhome.... Unless you hire it out, then strict rules apply in the same way as if you rent out a house or flat.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
They both go BANG it treated badly....however if used as they should be, you wouldn't have a problem....Propane in cooler weather, Butane at other times.....or....just use Propane...like we do...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back