Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
I was also very dubious. As hubby has always been anti camping and anti caravanning i was absolutely gobsmacked when he asked me to borrow a campervan from a friend for a weekend so he could try it out. He had never ever given me any inkling he had even considered staying in one prior to this. We took it our for the weekend, he loved it and we ended up buying it!!!

What we love most is the fact that we actually spend quality time together. We both have very fast paced lives, are a bit like ships that pass in the night at home due to shift work and if im honest, only half listen to one another when we are in at the same time. Not any more!!! out on the road, we chat, we laugh, we enjoy one another's company, we play board games, dine out - all the things we dont have time for due to working so hard. Our motto now, is we work hard, so we play hard and we are away every spare minute we can.
Think this is another good reason for us to get one. When we're at home we just potter around; I love cooking so spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and we both love eating. Our usual holiday involves a flight, a hire car, staying in 2/3 different apartments, villas or cottages, lots of lazing around, a bit of cooking and quite a bit of eating out, so I reckon we can manage to do that in a MH.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Firstly :welc:

Secondly, I can really relate to your circumstances. We used some of the proceeds from my fathers estate to purchase our van.
We had for many years rented a motorhome, and gone on holidays in them, and we had always discussed the possibility of one day owning our own van. When we had our little windfall, I have to say I was reluctant to spend money on what, after all, is a depreciating asset. My wife and I had many long discussions, often lasting well into the night weighing up the pro's and con's of ownership.
In the end, we went for it, and purchased our van, and I can honestly say, my wife was right (she was the one who wanted to buy) we have had so many quality family days out, and holidays all over Europe already.

As for things going wrong, yes things do break in the motorhome, and sometimes those things are expensive, but a lot of the time when people shout out for help on here, things can be fixed for very little money!
I would say overall that 90% of the things that have broken in our van have been my fault, and fairly easy to rectify. Don't let repairs put you off. However, do look out for the motorhome killer, DAMP!
I'm already scared of The Damp. We went to a dealership at the weekend and a couple of vans we looked at just smelt weird - which seemed like The Damp to me. Thanks god for internet I say.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm already scared of The Damp. We went to a dealership at the weekend and a couple of vans we looked at just smelt weird - which seemed like The Damp to me. Thanks god for internet I say.
Yup, I'd be out the door too! The smell might not be damp, but it is a gamble I wouldn't take. It can cost thousands to put right. There are plenty of vans out there that don't have damp issues! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Think this is another good reason for us to get one. When we're at home we just potter around; I love cooking so spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and we both love eating. Our usual holiday involves a flight, a hire car, staying in 2/3 different apartments, villas or cottages, lots of lazing around, a bit of cooking and quite a bit of eating out, so I reckon we can manage to do that in a MH.
Make sure you get a motorhome with a 'proper' oven then - the Tectower ones are useless. Oh, and ...........
welcome animated smiley.gif

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
I love going away in the van, just feel like we have freedom that other holidays don't have. Have you used a caravan before or is any type of camping new to you?

So things that are important to me when buying a van is firstly, living area and my bed! I suggest you test out the bed.....for size!!!.....lol....seriously though, make sure you feel comfortable in the beds as you'll be spending a lot of time in them.....We also like to lounge about when watching tv, reading and chilling out in the evenings. Then my Mrs requires a shower to her exact specifications so that's another important factor for us. We eat out a lot in France but we also cook in the van a fair bit so again it all has to be how we like it regarding the layout.

Secondly it depends on budget, the book Jim has produced here about buying a motor home is very good and has lots a good advice. My thoughts are I will buy second hand, I don't see the deals on new vans being cost effective and i don't really trust the warranties ect. And you get tied into having the dealer do all the maintenance for inflated prices. There always seems to be more to pay for some reason. So I have a very good mechanic who is a long term family friend and he looks after all the servicing and maintenance. I also have a local mobile caravan guy who checks out all the habitations stuff, including checking the worst thing of all, the dreaded damp.

The thing is , if you have any problems, everything is repairable, its a matter of finding the right people to help you. Just consider maintenance as part of the annual budget of owning a van. And you get loads and loads of excellent advice and support on this forum.

I would say, take your time, look at as many vans as you can, maybe go to a show and look at loads. its a great way to have a holiday, France is brilliant for the motor home.
No, never been in a touring caravan or camping holidays together (did some pre-pitched tent hols in my former life) and this is the only way either of us would dream of it - we like a few creature comforts! I intend to buy second hand (I didn't get left that much money!) and it's a case of finding the right one, whether it's a private sale or through a dealership. I like this forum already, it's much cheerier than a couple I've been on. Can you let me have details of 'Jim's book' please, it sounds like I'll need it!

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Make sure you get a motorhome with a 'proper' oven then - the Tectower ones are useless. Oh, and ...........
View attachment 74589
Oh god, I've got to have a decent oven. I bake bread. A lot of it. And thanks for the welcome (where are the emoticons round here?)!!

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
I met a lovely Welsh couple in Spain last month who were pitched next to us in their Motorhome. He told me his mum had recently passed and he'd decided to get the Motorhome he had really wanted for quite a while, deciding life was too short and should be lived with a bit of adventure. Therefore he was there, in Spain, in the Motorhome he'd wanted for so long. He too had a tear in his eye when he proudly showed me his own addition to the vans graphics, in beautiful Golden script. He had named the Motorhome after his mum. I must admit I was a bit touched myself when he was telling me the story but I put it down to hay fever.
Welcome, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you n grumpy and you'll wish you'd done it sooner. :)
That's sold it - Mr TB and I have agreed that our MH will be named after my mum. The search for Joyce is on!

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
I'm having to hold myself back. Next stop, uploading an avatar pic :emo::rock:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It's no coincidence our van is called Renee I'm sure a lot of inheritance s are frittered away on motorhomes we've seen more of Europe and UK in last seven years than in the fifty before go for it

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Hello and welcome.
Like you - a family inheritance meant that I could afford to buy our first Moho. My aunt would most definitely approve, so much so we've named the Moho after her. We did spend ages looking at different manufacturers and layouts - we joined this forum and spent a small mortgage on glossy magazines and went to a couple of shows as neither of us has done anything like this before.
In the month that we've had "Betty" we have been to Scotland twice, Keilder and the North Yorkshire coast and had a fantastic time - lots of laughter, met some great people, enjoyed amazing scenery and learnt a lot!! No major mishaps though and Betty is eleven years old.
I now feel that I've had a proper weekend when we head back home on a Sunday evening and I don't think you can put a price on that.
My only problem is that working 9-5 doesn't leave me enough time to plan our next trip :)
Speaking of which ....... Bye for now x

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
No, never been in a touring caravan or camping holidays together (did some pre-pitched tent hols in my former life) and this is the only way either of us would dream of it - we like a few creature comforts! I intend to buy second hand (I didn't get left that much money!) and it's a case of finding the right one, whether it's a private sale or through a dealership. I like this forum already, it's much cheerier than a couple I've been on. Can you let me have details of 'Jim's book' please, it sounds like I'll need it!

Broken Link Removed

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Go-Motorhoming-and-Campervanning-ISBN9781910664025.html

Mothy

Free Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hythe, Hants
Funster No
MH
Lo-line
Exp
1 month
Go for it, I did only 18 days ago! Already had a few issues but because I bought from a good dealer all the issues were sorted quickly. I love it already. Bet your Mum would be happy for you.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you want real decent weather you have to be prepared to do a bit of driving once across the channel..it don't take long

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you want real decent weather you have to be prepared to do a bit of driving once across the channel..it don't take long
The Judge is quite correct, also, you will quickly come to appreciate a motorhome when you get delayed at a ferry port (Hey it's gonna happen!) and you can kick back, watch TV and have a brew, whilst the car drivers are mooching about grumbling! :D

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Welcome to the fun. I am glad that you have persuaded your husband that a vw California or similar are too small. While they look like fun as others have said if the weather is bad and your stuck inside one there isn't a lot of space. If you intend to bake a lot while travelling then you will need a good oven and to be honest most mh ovens are not fantastic. However why bake when you can easily buy fantastic bread etc if you are on the continent - you are on holiday after all!

Kath

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Welcome to the fun. I am glad that you have persuaded your husband that a vw California or similar are too small. While they look like fun as others have said if the weather is bad and your stuck inside one there isn't a lot of space. If you intend to bake a lot while travelling then you will need a good oven and to be honest most mh ovens are not fantastic. However why bake when you can easily buy fantastic bread etc if you are on the continent - you are on holiday after all!

Kath
Yes, thought I might be stretching my hopes a bit with a good oven!

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Few things that Mr TB would like more than driving long distances abroad. We've driven in France a lot so I'm sure that will be top of our list.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Hi Tall Blond from sunny Chelveston, in Northants. Welcome to the site, I see you are thinking of hiring a MH, White Arches on the A45 Wellingborough not Rushden one, hires out a MH, give them a call. In the county you have plenty of dealers to choose from, White Arches carry a fair ole stock, as do Marquise at Billing.

We have a Eldiss Autoquest 175 Prestige SE, sounds posh, but it is a two berth around 7 meters long, an end wash area which has a quarter round type shower and the wardrobe is just over a double size.

If you want to pop round and have a look, and ask questions you are more than welcome. However we are away tomorrow for a short break of a week, then will be back.

We only have had the van since Jan this year, been away loads of times, her indoors has taken to it like a duck to water, and absolutely loves the wardrobe space.

Welcome once again TB and the avatar is the actual one I have.

If you want to take me up on my offer, PM me.

Flook

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Hi Tall Blond from sunny Chelveston, in Northants. Welcome to the site, I see you are thinking of hiring a MH, White Arches on the A45 Wellingborough not Rushden one, hires out a MH, give them a call. In the county you have plenty of dealers to choose from, White Arches carry a fair ole stock, as do Marquise at Billing.

We have a Eldiss Autoquest 175 Prestige SE, sounds posh, but it is a two berth around 7 meters long, an end wash area which has a quarter round type shower and the wardrobe is just over a double size.

If you want to pop round and have a look, and ask questions you are more than welcome. However we are away tomorrow for a short break of a week, then will be back.

We only have had the van since Jan this year, been away loads of times, her indoors has taken to it like a duck to water, and absolutely loves the wardrobe space.

Welcome once again TB and the avatar is the actual one I have.

If you want to take me up on my offer, PM me.

Flook
Thanks Flook, that's very kind of you. Might take you up on it sometime, maybe when I know what questions to ask. We're going to White Arches on Monday for a nose as we're heading into Northampton in the evening, so I'll ask about a short rental too. Enjoy your break, hope the weather is kind to you, wherever you're headed.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We bought our first motorhome with my inheritance from my mum, it was the best decision we ever made and we have already enjoyed 10 years of travel that we wouldn't have been able to do without it. We have had a few problems but the fun we have had far out ways any difficulties. We are leaving for 3 weeks holiday in Ireland next week and can't wait to go.
Same as bless her, enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back