Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Hi there, just a quick intro. Having been left some money by my lovely mum I thought I might fritter some of it away on a motorhome. I'll doubtless be asking lots of the questions everyone else has asked and generally lurking on the Forum. There are just two of us (husband and I) and the motorhome would be to get us out and about in the UK and (hopefully) take it to the near continent. At the moment I swing between thinking it's a great idea and, on the other hand read so many posts about 'Whats Gone Wrong With My Van', think that van ownership sounds pretty stressful - when going away in the darn thing should be relaxing (I'm currently in the latter state of mind)! So, I'm here to inform myself and maybe be persuaded either way. Look forward to chatting!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hello & welcome
Dont worry we are just grumpy old gits that need to complain.
Its a great way to relax.

Mel & Lieve

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Well, we moved from Caravan to Motothome 3 years ago and have loved every minute (y)
How about hiring one first to see if you like the lifestyle?
Welcome by the way :welc:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome!

As with anything mechanical you're going to have malfunctions from time to time. People whose MHs are functioning perfectly aren't likely to post about it so you're only going to see posts asking for help/advice. As long as you buy a MH in good condition I doubt you'll have problems... in my (limited) experience the fun to be had far outweighs any hassles along the way!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi TallBlonde, for every problem you read about here, there are tens of thousands without the problem. Even if you are incredibly unlucky and have problems most issues can be sorted out easily enough. Don't forget a lot of people only post in forums when they have a problem so it can skew your outlook somewhat. Ownership is more bliss that stress. Just make sure, that whenever you don't understand stuff you run it by the forum first. In the unlikely event you'll need help; you'll get all you need here. (y)

Meanwhile, welcome to the club (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've just spent 5 days at Oulton park (Gold cup - car racing) with other motorhome friends and nothing broke or fell off.(y) It was relaxing and a ball:LOL:. You must be aware there are thousands of people with different types of vans on this forum so inevitably they're going to have the odd problem now and again.:(

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, we bought our van 3 years ago it's a 2001 reg and only done 40k mileage has never given a moment of bother. You pays your money and you take your chance but it is a great way of life. (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Once you get your husband into a motorhome, he will change instantly.

Remember how your heart fluttered when you first saw him?

Remember how full of life he was?

Remember all those plans and hopes for the future?

Remember all that energy as he carried you upstairs?

All that returns when you get him into a motorhome...

Wait until you meet Sir old-mo and you will KNOW I speak the truth...

JJ :cool:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We bought our first motorhome with my inheritance from my mum, it was the best decision we ever made and we have already enjoyed 10 years of travel that we wouldn't have been able to do without it. We have had a few problems but the fun we have had far out ways any difficulties. We are leaving for 3 weeks holiday in Ireland next week and can't wait to go.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Well, we moved from Caravan to Motothome 3 years ago and have loved every minute (y)
How about hiring one first to see if you like the lifestyle?
Welcome by the way :welc:
Yes, I think hiring one for a few days is the way forward. Was thinking about finding someone who hires out the style of van we might like, just to try it out, and in a location we want to explore.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
We bought our first motorhome with my inheritance from my mum, it was the best decision we ever made and we have already enjoyed 10 years of travel that we wouldn't have been able to do without it. We have had a few problems but the fun we have had far out ways any difficulties. We are leaving for 3 weeks holiday in Ireland next week and can't wait to go.
Thanks, that made me cry a bit, having lost my mum just over a month ago. She would definitely think buying a van was 'frittering' but would have been up for trying it out - and want me to have as many adventures as I could in it.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Once you get your husband into a motorhome, he will change instantly.

Remember how your heart fluttered when you first saw him?

Remember how full of life he was?

Remember all those plans and hopes for the future?

Remember all that energy as he carried you upstairs?

All that returns when you get him into a motorhome...

Wait until you meet Sir old-mo and you will KNOW I speak the truth...

JJ :cool:
Hahahahaha! That made me proper lol, as the young people apparently no longer say. I'm sure he'd be able to manage the couple of steps up into a van - not that he ever carried me over the threshold or up the stairs in the past, but Ill make this a pre-requisite if we get a MH>

Having voiced concerns to him about owning a motorhome this morning he's gone all 'don't rule it out; stay positive' on me. We went to a local dealership last week and he was very anti before we got there ("are you sure you don't want a VW California? They're very cool") but came away much more enthused about the idea. Quite frankly his main inters is in driving the thing.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Welcome TallBlonde, I was thinking, here's you looking for a motorhome and there's loads of guys on here with one who are looking for a tall-blonde, surely there's room for movement somewhere........

.....joking over, my last boat was contributed to by the passing of my mother (far too early) and now that I've sold my boat and ploughed much of that into my latest Motor Home, I like to think mum would have approved in fact I know she would.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. Don't be tempted to get a van that is too small, imagine being stuck in it for a few days is there room to move about, sit on the loo, cook the dinner, or do you have to sit on the loo to cook the dinner, hee hee. It is all fun and great to get away on the spur of the moment. Book nothing just drive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi TallBlonde

Hi and welcome to fun, three and a half years ago we frittered away some cash and bought a six year old motorhome that all the bits had fallen off and then well and truly put back on.

We are now sat in the Czech Republic and don't regret one penny of the cash frittered.

Martin

I should have said who know where we will be this time next week, possibly Prague possibly Dresden.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
I was also very dubious. As hubby has always been anti camping and anti caravanning i was absolutely gobsmacked when he asked me to borrow a campervan from a friend for a weekend so he could try it out. He had never ever given me any inkling he had even considered staying in one prior to this. We took it our for the weekend, he loved it and we ended up buying it!!!

What we love most is the fact that we actually spend quality time together. We both have very fast paced lives, are a bit like ships that pass in the night at home due to shift work and if im honest, only half listen to one another when we are in at the same time. Not any more!!! out on the road, we chat, we laugh, we enjoy one another's company, we play board games, dine out - all the things we dont have time for due to working so hard. Our motto now, is we work hard, so we play hard and we are away every spare minute we can.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I love going away in the van, just feel like we have freedom that other holidays don't have. Have you used a caravan before or is any type of camping new to you?

So things that are important to me when buying a van is firstly, living area and my bed! I suggest you test out the bed.....for size!!!.....lol....seriously though, make sure you feel comfortable in the beds as you'll be spending a lot of time in them.....We also like to lounge about when watching tv, reading and chilling out in the evenings. Then my Mrs requires a shower to her exact specifications so that's another important factor for us. We eat out a lot in France but we also cook in the van a fair bit so again it all has to be how we like it regarding the layout.

Secondly it depends on budget, the book Jim has produced here about buying a motor home is very good and has lots a good advice. My thoughts are I will buy second hand, I don't see the deals on new vans being cost effective and i don't really trust the warranties ect. And you get tied into having the dealer do all the maintenance for inflated prices. There always seems to be more to pay for some reason. So I have a very good mechanic who is a long term family friend and he looks after all the servicing and maintenance. I also have a local mobile caravan guy who checks out all the habitations stuff, including checking the worst thing of all, the dreaded damp.

The thing is , if you have any problems, everything is repairable, its a matter of finding the right people to help you. Just consider maintenance as part of the annual budget of owning a van. And you get loads and loads of excellent advice and support on this forum.

I would say, take your time, look at as many vans as you can, maybe go to a show and look at loads. its a great way to have a holiday, France is brilliant for the motor home.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks, that made me cry a bit, having lost my mum just over a month ago. She would definitely think buying a van was 'frittering' but would have been up for trying it out - and want me to have as many adventures as I could in it.
Hi TallBlonde, an "Normal "Hubby you could always name your MH after your Mum (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Forums are the place where people come to complain about a product. They are not always right though. People don't generally post about having yet another month of reliable happy motorhoming.
There is a motorhome show at Newark this weekend, there will be a group of Funsters you can visit and there will be lots to look at to help you decide.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I met a lovely Welsh couple in Spain last month who were pitched next to us in their Motorhome. He told me his mum had recently passed and he'd decided to get the Motorhome he had really wanted for quite a while, deciding life was too short and should be lived with a bit of adventure. Therefore he was there, in Spain, in the Motorhome he'd wanted for so long. He too had a tear in his eye when he proudly showed me his own addition to the vans graphics, in beautiful Golden script. He had named the Motorhome after his mum. I must admit I was a bit touched myself when he was telling me the story but I put it down to hay fever.
Welcome, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you n grumpy and you'll wish you'd done it sooner. :)

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi and welcome

A motorhome is a fantastic way to see the uk and europe. We rented out our house and lived in our first motorhome a tag axle burstner for 7 1/2 years before bad health stopped us. We now only do up to 3 months tours. Try a hire van for a week to see if you like it. Most of europe has a much more relaxed way of motor homing. That is another story. Motorhomes are very reliable if you look after them. Give it a go.

steve & ann .............. teensvan

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Firstly :welc:

Secondly, I can really relate to your circumstances. We used some of the proceeds from my fathers estate to purchase our van.
We had for many years rented a motorhome, and gone on holidays in them, and we had always discussed the possibility of one day owning our own van. When we had our little windfall, I have to say I was reluctant to spend money on what, after all, is a depreciating asset. My wife and I had many long discussions, often lasting well into the night weighing up the pro's and con's of ownership.
In the end, we went for it, and purchased our van, and I can honestly say, my wife was right (she was the one who wanted to buy) we have had so many quality family days out, and holidays all over Europe already.

As for things going wrong, yes things do break in the motorhome, and sometimes those things are expensive, but a lot of the time when people shout out for help on here, things can be fixed for very little money!
I would say overall that 90% of the things that have broken in our van have been my fault, and fairly easy to rectify. Don't let repairs put you off. However, do look out for the motorhome killer, DAMP!

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
After some 35 years with various caravans we changed to a M H in May this year. Should have done it years ago. We have been away 4 times already so far and intend going up to Scotland touring around in about a month or so. No more the hassle of an hour and a half setting up the van just 15 minutes and we are on our way. So many advantages.
Not a moments regret.

Chris

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Hi and welcome to the fun. Don't be tempted to get a van that is too small, imagine being stuck in it for a few days is there room to move about, sit on the loo, cook the dinner, or do you have to sit on the loo to cook the dinner, hee hee. It is all fun and great to get away on the spur of the moment. Book nothing just drive.
No chance that I will allow for a van that's too small. Made him sit in a couple of camper vans at the weekend (he's actually very well trained) and we both agreed that, although very cool, no good for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back