Confused about importing new vehicle from Belgium (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm looking for help, having become thoroughly confused as a result of my husband's conversation with Safeguard, today.
We imported a new van from Germany two years ago, without problem. Sequence of events then was - export plates and third party insurance from German dealer to Rotterdam. Fully comp insurance on VIN number via Safeguard, once in UK. This allowed us to drive home, fit speedo and headlights, then drive to Dave Newall to certify that adjustments had been made to comply with UK requirements. Certification sent to VOSA, and then vehicle registered with DVLA. In the meantime, we had alarm fitted by Rhino Installs, on our drive.
Now we are contemplating buying from Campirama. They will drive vehicle to Calais for us, on their plates and insurance. Safeguard say that recent changes by the DVLA mean that, once in the UK we have to drive immediately to an MOT station, get certification that we have changed headlights etc, have the alarm fitted by said MOT station, then drive the vehicle home on the MOT station's trade plates, or get the MOT station to transport the vehicle home for us (presumably on a low loader), during which process, Safeguard will provide us with third party insurance.
Is there anyone who has imported a vehicle recently, who can confirm whether this is right or wrong? I know that @Lenny HB imported from Campirama fairly recently. I believe that it has always been the case that it was illegal for a UK national to drive on foreign plates in the UK, so has anything actually changed?
Obviously, we'll call the DVLA first thing on Monday, but I'd really appreciate any info on recent experience of importing.
Many thanks
Chris

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Technically to be legal you should drive the vehicle home without plates. Campirama fit a set of false plates we drive home with those on as far less likely to be stopped.
It is only illegal to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK but you are driving an unregistered vehicle.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If my memory serves me right, you can drive the van to and from the pre-booked Garage/MOT station that you have organised for the inspection for VCA. So if you ensure that when you leave the dealer that the speedo has been corrected and the lights are UK spec, then you make an appointment in writing with the said Garage to coincide with your journey home from landing point in UK. Having been to the appointment you are then allowed to drive it home. In theory nothing after that until registered. Then you have complied with the requirements. Thats what I did but in 2015. I was able to have fully comp on the VIN only from collection in Germany through NFU, but they only do this for existing customers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm looking for help, having become thoroughly confused as a result of my husband's conversation with Safeguard, today.
We imported a new van from Germany two years ago, without problem. Sequence of events then was - export plates and third party insurance from German dealer to Rotterdam. Fully comp insurance on VIN number via Safeguard, once in UK. This allowed us to drive home, fit speedo and headlights, then drive to Dave Newall to certify that adjustments had been made to comply with UK requirements. Certification sent to VOSA, and then vehicle registered with DVLA. In the meantime, we had alarm fitted by Rhino Installs, on our drive.
Now we are contemplating buying from Campirama. They will drive vehicle to Calais for us, on their plates and insurance. Safeguard say that recent changes by the DVLA mean that, once in the UK we have to drive immediately to an MOT station, get certification that we have changed headlights etc, have the alarm fitted by said MOT station, then drive the vehicle home on the MOT station's trade plates, or get the MOT station to transport the vehicle home for us (presumably on a low loader), during which process, Safeguard will provide us with third party insurance.
Is there anyone who has imported a vehicle recently, who can confirm whether this is right or wrong? I know that @Lenny HB imported from Campirama fairly recently. I believe that it has always been the case that it was illegal for a UK national to drive on foreign plates in the UK, so has anything actually changed?
Obviously, we'll call the DVLA first thing on Monday, but I'd really appreciate any info on recent experience of importing.
Many thanks
Chris
Don't get that bit about MOT station fitting alarm,,,,,BUSBY,,,

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks @Lenny HB and @sallylillian . It doesn't sound as though anything has really changed since we brought our last van in from Germany - apart from the fact that Safeguard will now only offer third party insurance.
One additional question to Lenny, though, please. Looking at the DVLA guide, one of the items required by them is: 'evidence showing the date you collected the vehicle (normally the date of the invoice from the supplier), and how the vehicle was brought into the country (either the temporary registration form, if the vehicle was driven, or evidence of transportation, if it was transported)
Our German van had been temporarily registered in Germany, but if the Campirama vans are not registered, how does this comply with the DVLA requirement? Many thanks for your replies. They are much appreciated.

Don't get that bit about MOT station fitting alarm,,,,,BUSBY,,,

@busby - Neither do I. I think we'll just get a mobile fitter to come to the house, as soon as we get back.

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
Safeguard insured my german import, which had been pre-registered in Germany by Duerrwang. I had arranged in advance an appointment at a local garage for the vca certification inspection ... so I could honestly say if I was stopped travelling home on the german export plates that I was en route for that inspection visit....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have imported 2 vans in the last 3 years current one in March this year. Not awear of any regulation changes. When registering with DVLA you only need to send them the IVA certificate and the Certificate of Newness also worth enclosing your NOVA reference of VAT payment.

If worried about you could get the van transport door to door not that expensive, a friend of a friend got a Carthago delivered from Southern Germany for €1500 and no reason why an enginer couldn't inspect the van at your home.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We imported form Germany and followed Lenny HBs advice regarding registration. We took out insurance in the U.K. Based on the VIN number alone and drove the van home on the German temporary plates. The only hiccup was a ticket (that the dealer in Germany paid ) for nonpayment of the Dartford Crossing despite the fact that we did pay it at the time!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I sent a numbered letter explaining each item of documentation. Supplied separate cheques in case of any errors with cherished plate transfer. Some documents were not needed but I sent them anyway!

1. A completed V55/4 application; some boxes blank on DVLA phone advice
  2. A signed V778 retention document for
  3. Assignment fee for £80. (separate cheque, destroy or return if not required)
  4. A first registration fee of £55 (separate cheque);
  5. A fee for the vehicle road tax of £165, P/HGV (separate cheque);
  6. Certificate of insurance ;
  7. A completed form V267;
  8. Invoice from Durrwang the German dealer, showing date of collection, 08.07.2015
  9. Copy of Eurotunnel receipt traveling to UK 09.07.2015
  10. German export only plate certificates Part I & II, DO 903J;
  11. Photocopy of my DVLA photo card driving licence;
  12. Photocopy of Green Star utility bill with name and address
  13. Evidence of Type Approval (IAC certificate from VCA);
  14. VAT NOVA reference:- NOVA12345678 Paid 10th July
  15. Final stage Certificate of Conformity (Niesmann & Bischoff)
  16. Base vehicle Certificate of Conformity (Iveco)
  17. Photo of chassis weight plate.
All documentation is original unless stated. Please return them, thank you. The van was driven directly home from Dortmund, by me through Eurotunnel. It’s only other journey was to the above garage to certify Mutual Recognition for the motorhome to meet UK requirements. The miles were 129 at collection from the dealer as per the statement to HMRC. I am unfamiliar with much of the data you require my apologies for errors.[/QUOTE]

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I sent a numbered letter explaining each item of documentation. Supplied separate cheques in case of any errors with cherished plate transfer. Some documents were not needed but I sent them anyway!

1. A completed V55/4 application; some boxes blank on DVLA phone advice
  2. A signed V778 retention document for
  3. Assignment fee for £80. (separate cheque, destroy or return if not required)
  4. A first registration fee of £55 (separate cheque);
  5. A fee for the vehicle road tax of £165, P/HGV (separate cheque);
  6. Certificate of insurance ;
  7. A completed form V267;
  8. Invoice from Durrwang the German dealer, showing date of collection, 08.07.2015
  9. Copy of Eurotunnel receipt traveling to UK 09.07.2015
  10. German export only plate certificates Part I & II, DO 903J;
  11. Photocopy of my DVLA photo card driving licence;
  12. Photocopy of Green Star utility bill with name and address
  13. Evidence of Type Approval (IAC certificate from VCA);
  14. VAT NOVA reference:- NOVA12345678 Paid 10th July
  15. Final stage Certificate of Conformity (Niesmann & Bischoff)
  16. Base vehicle Certificate of Conformity (Iveco)
  17. Photo of chassis weight plate.
All documentation is original unless stated. Please return them, thank you. The van was driven directly home from Dortmund, by me through Eurotunnel. It’s only other journey was to the above garage to certify Mutual Recognition for the motorhome to meet UK requirements. The miles were 129 at collection from the dealer as per the statement to HMRC. I am unfamiliar with much of the data you require my apologies for errors.
[/QUOTE]
@sallylillian @Lenny HB
What registration number or other detail did your insurance certificate show?
I have one from Caravan Guard where all details apart from my name are blank where I expected the chassis number to be shown
I queried this and they issued another with a fictitious number shown in the registration number panel

Surely that isn't correct is it?

Cheers

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back