Compressor fridge Thetford T1090L

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by golly, Dec 1, 2018.

1. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Ratings:
    +535
    Another way of looking at it. the fridge uses 35 amp-hours every 24 hours. That's 35 x 5 = 175 amp-hours in 5 days.

Your batteries can provide 133 amp-hours, as I said.

That leaves 175 - 133 = 42 amp-hours to be provided by other sources.

A small solar panel should be able to give 42 amp-hours over the 5-day period. A 100 watt panel will do this even if the weather is a bit cloudy.

2. Duckato

Duckato Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    I will need to factor in some other variables:
    I have solar obviously but in dark wet Welsh Wales in the depth of winter that may not be enough.

I have two Corgis and a Beagle if they work shifts in a hamster wheel connected to a small dynamo I wonder what sort of output can I get from them ;)
    Also with the wood burner on full song I wonder if I could re porpoise the energy from one of these.

[​IMG]

https://www.saxonhomecare.co.uk/products/ecofans/

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,611
    Had a message from another Funster yesterday, Varta AGM's with EBL set to AGM, batteries have failed at just over a year old. Knowing you rely on yours John it could be worth thinking about changing them.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,649
    @Lenny HB which gel batteries would you recommend as I don’t think we can use lead acid batteries.

John.

5. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,649
    Hi Again @Lenny HB I’ve found this info below and it states that your alternator will need a special regulator to be installed.

John.

Gel Cell Batteries
    are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries.

If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed.

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,611
    Gels are overall more tolerant of different charge regimes than other types of batteries and standard alternator charging has never been known to cause a problem. Standard alternators charge at around 14.2 to 14.4v perfect for a Gel battery. Whoever wrote that was probably talking out of their rear end. Until the Hymer group changed to AGM they had been fitting Gels for 20 years, there are Funsters on here that have had Gels last for 10 and 12 years with them being charged by their standard alternator.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,611
    Either the Sonnenschein SL75 (78 a/h) or the Exide G80/ES900 80ah, basicly the same battery both made in the Sonnenschein factory.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,744
    Correct, you can't use lead acid ones as the EBL isn't compatible with them, that's what our dealer inadvertently fitted and had to pay for them to be replaced with gel ones, we went for the Sonnersheiss ... Shonnershno ... SL75 (whatever :D ) ones which were cheaper than the Exide ones.:xsmile:

9. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,649
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,611
    Decided not to risk the AGM's any longer then. I have 3 of those in my van.