Compressor fridge Thetford T1090L

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by golly, Dec 1, 2018.

1. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    Do the more knowledgeable among you think these figures are reasonable ? Our latest van has the above fridge, the van has pop top so not straight forward to fit solar, we have 2 x 95 Ah leisure batteries. the manufacturers figures are :-

Technical Specifications
    Main Dimensions: 975 x 418 x 485mm
    Recommended Built-In Depth 525mm
    Total Volume 90 litres
    Freezer Volume 6.5 Litre (210x280x260)
    Usable Power Source 12v DC
    Energy Consumption** Day Mode 0.45 (KWH/24H)
    Energy Consumption ** Night Mode 0.35 (KWH/24H)
    Amount Of Days On 95AH Battery Day Mode 2.5 Days
    Amount Of Days On 95AH Battery Night Mode 3.5 Days

Input Current At 12v Day Mode 4 A
    Input Current At 12v Night Mode 2 A
    Weight 21Kg
    Noise Level Day Mode 32 (db(A))
    Noise Level Night Mode 29 (db(A))
    Climate Class Day Mode ST (16-38°C)
    Climate Class Night Mode N (16-32°C)
    ** Average energy consumption at an ambient temperature of 25°C

Do you think given we have a total of 190 Ah of battery that we would be able to last 4 - 5 days without hookup ? Obviously in would depend on any other draw on the power, but we are not power hungry, not bothered about tv etc maybe blow heating if its particularly cold, but in colder months we would be on hookup anyway. Any comments welcome thanks

2. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,087
    Compressor fridge without solar, most will have it I think. Could you fit the flexible solar to the pop top?

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    It is possible, but not straightforward, if I can manage without I may not bother, if it was a solid roof then it would be the first thing I would fit.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    I doubt it taking their 24 HR consumption if it was 12hr day, 12hr night it would be using 48 a/h. In practice it would be in day mode longer than night mode, and it would also depend how often & long the door is open.

95a/h batteries AGM by any chance? If so and more than a year old their capacity may be well down.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Ratings:
    +848
    I think when I tried to do the sums based on those figures it basically meant that the battery was being run to complete discharge.

These latest figures seem a bit more realistic and probably run to 50% discharge

Amount of days on 2 x 95Ah batteries 3.0 / 4.0 (Night mode)

https://www.thetford-europe.com/int...ucts/refrigerators/compressor/t1090-eye-level

I think the websites like jacksons and magnums are still using the old Thetford specifications as opposed to the updated ones currently on Thetfords website that I have linked to.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Nasher

Nasher Funster

Ratings:
    +2,092
    Not sure if this helps, I have a Waeco CRX 50 (50 litre) compressor fridge and a single 110ah battery

Fridge is connected directly to the leisure battery (fused) with appropriate size cables

Turn fridge up to max coldness (setting 4) whilst on EHU at home, for 12 hours before setting off

Fill with everything already cold from home fridge - including still frozen homemade ready meal about an hour before leaving (still on EHU)

Drive to destination (disconnect EHU first!) , the first time I need to open the fridge, I turn it down to setting 2

Try not to open the door too much

Keep van cool inside if it's a warm day

That way I manage 3 days (2 nights) without EHU and battery is still in good condition after nearly 3 years

My other electric usage are lights (led), small tv, water pump & Wallas xc duo hob/heater

If staying longer without hookup, I use a generator to top up (I'm normally at motorcycle events, so generators are acceptable)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    yes the batteries are Varta AGM, the van is new this year so hopefully batteries are ok

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    I have no faith in AGM batteries at all, replaced the one in my new van with Gels wanted batteries that would last more than 18 months.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    Looking at those figures in your link, it would seem I may need something, if not solar then maybe a B to B charger. Hopefully we will be using the van more while on site now that it is a smaller van so not stood immobile for as long

10. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    Yes, when I need to change I will go for Gel, depending on the physical size of the batteries as these are shoehorned into cupboards

11. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,664
    I have two 95 ah AGM batteries now 20 month old and still going strong with the Thetford compressor fridge, and our EBL is set for AGM batteries. I can’t help with usage as we have 200 watt of solar uptop.

John.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Ratings:
    +848
    It's one of the things that is really making us think, as the van that we really would like - either the Globecar Summit or the Adria Twin Plus, only come with a compressor fridge. Our current van has a 3 way one and as most of our trips are off grid we're really nervous about swapping over to a compressor fridge.

13. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    I wouldnt be worried if I had some decent solar, as early or late trips are mainly done on sites with EHU.

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    80a/h Gels are the same size, I have 3 Sonnenschein 78a/h gels in my van.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    Be brave John run a full test on them and see how well they are doing. Would be interesting to know how well they are doing, Varta with correct AGM charging.

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,746
    You only have 95ah of usable power in the 2 batteries, not 190ah.

We actually have that fridge in our camper and would say that you'll be lucky to managed 3 days without some other input (ie driving, solar etc), it will also depend on which version of the fridge you have, the mark 1 with the large under-freezer pull out drip tray is more power hungry than the mark 2 with the insulated freezer box. We found with the mark 1 that our batteries took quite a hammerting - we have 2 x 78ah gels so can discharged them a lot more than your batteries without damaging them, along with this we have 200w of solar so at least after the 'battering' they recovered during the day.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,862
    my son has a flexi panel on top of his pop top

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Duckato

Duckato Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    @Minxy Girl
    I am just about to order one of these do the two versions have different part numbers, so I can verify what I am buying?

Are there other differences?

19. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +10,095
    Sorry I don't know, I presume mine is version 2 I think it has a smaller but better insulated freezer, next time im in the van I'll have a look at the documentation for the model number.

20. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Ratings:
    +538
    For those not good at sums, here's some more figures

Day mode: 0.45kWh = 450Wh = 450/12 = 37.5amp-hours (for 24 hours)
    so on average it will use 37.5/24 = 1.6 amp-hours per hour.

Night mode: 0.35kWh = 350Wh = 350/12 = 29.2 amp-hours (for 24 hours)
    so on average it will use 29.2/24 = 1.3 amp-hours per hour.

If you have 190Ah of battery capacity, you will want to avoid discharging to below 30% (many people like to not go below 50%), so your maximum usable capacity is 70% of 190Ah which is 133Ah.

With 133Ah you will last 133/1.6 = 83 hours, about 3.5 days in Day mode, and 133/1.3 = 102 hours, about 4 and a quarter days in Night mode.

So, just less than 4 days if mixing Day and Night modes.

Any chance of fitting a third 95Ah battery, that will take you over 5 days?

Also, it will use about 35 amp-hours per 24 hours, so you would need solar panels that gave 4.5 amps for 8 hours to top the batteries back up every day. 100 watts might just do that on a good sunny day.

• Thanks Thanks x 1