Compact Motorhome or Van Convesion? (1 Viewer)

JohnandCass

Free Member
Aug 10, 2021
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi,
After a few years of touring the UK and France with a caravan we're going to change to either a motorhome/van conversion in the next 12 months. We want greater freedom to tour/wild camp where possible and hence are looking at the sub 6m options that are open to us. We have been drawn to van conversions, thinking they're easier to get about in, however are now also considering coach built as the space gains inside the van seem to be worth it. We'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this topic, particularly those who have moved from caravan to motorhome/van - how did it suit you?

We'd like to have as much freedom as possible, which will need to include the ability to drive on single track roads comfortably and generally be able to get to places we can't towing our caravan. Given the extra space, are there practical disadvantages with a compact motorhome, over a 5.99/6.36m van conversion?

We'd also be interested in specific brands/models that we should be looking at. So far we think the following are interesting:

Autotrail - F62, V-line Sport 635
Elddis - Accordo 105, Avantgarde 115
Autosleepers - Warwick XL, Nuevo ES
Roller Team - Toleno L, T-line 590

Are we on the right track? Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks John & Cassie

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome,

problem is your are going to get personal preferences on brands not necessarily what suits you. a pvc is without doubt likely to be a better option for very narrow roads.
a compact coach built will have considerably more room than a PVC but again its layout preferance and payload needs.

I hope you find what suits your needs.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Length isn't really an issue unless you want to go for something really short like a Romahome. Width is the critical factor. For longer vehicles rear overhang and height can restrict where you go but for vehicles around 6m these should be too excessive.

I live in South Devon and own a 6m long Murvi PVC. I've taken it down numerous single track roads in both Devon and Cornwall and have done a few mountainous gravel tracks in Spain. :)

You can get slim A Class, such as the Cathargo ones but they are not too common if you are looking to buy second hand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Our criteria was no longer than 6m (so we could fit it outside our house), fixed bed, 2 berth but capable of carrying four passengers (so we can transport a couple of the Grandkids).

We settled for a Sunlight Cliff 600, then added all the extras we’d identified we wanted such as solar, extra leisure battery, MiFi, tow bar, reversing camera and sat nav to mention just a few. (y)

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have a 6.4 slim A class Carthago and we love it. You get so much more space in an A Class and a coach built, than you do in a van conversion.

It pains me to say it but I wouldn't buy British.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
For years we (2 adults plus 1 child) had a MWB sprinter and it was great. It was a good layout that included a (small but fine) shower and made use of the cab space for the double bed. You didn't have to fully pack away the bed to have the table available, or get in and out of the sliding door.

Only went 7.5t, 8.5m long when boy got to being full time in an electric wheelchair and we needed the space.

Everything is a compromise!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
For years we (2 adults plus 1 child) had a MWB sprinter and it was great. It was a good layout that included a (small but fine) shower and made use of the cab space for the double bed. You didn't have to fully pack away the bed to have the table available, and could always get in and out of the sliding door.

Only went 7.5t, 8.5m long when boy got to being full time in an electric wheelchair and we needed the space. It still fits in 2 standard spaces that are end to end in the supermarket/pub/wherever.

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
For years we (2 adults plus 1 child) had a MWB sprinter and it was great. It was a good layout that included a (small but fine) shower and made use of the cab space for the double bed. You didn't have to fully pack away the bed to have the table available, or get in and out of the sliding door.

Only went 7.5t, 8.5m long when boy got to being full time in an electric wheelchair and we needed the space.

How did that cab space double bed work? Intrigued!

Cheers James

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
How did that cab space double bed work? Intrigued!

Cheers James

Maybe difficult to explain...

Look in through the side door and a table is directly in front of you, with two fixed seats facing forward to the right (or the rear) of the van. The front seats could swivel to face the table for 4 seated.

Swivel the seats both facing inward and drop the table down would make the most of the bed, then there were bits that would drop in between the two seats, and another piece between the seats and the dash. All of the odd bits and cushions would store in the bunk bed when not in use.

If you're looking to try and build something PM me and I'll try and dig out some pics and do some drawings.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi,
After a few years of touring the UK and France with a caravan we're going to change to either a motorhome/van conversion in the next 12 months. We want greater freedom to tour/wild camp where possible and hence are looking at the sub 6m options that are open to us. We have been drawn to van conversions, thinking they're easier to get about in, however are now also considering coach built as the space gains inside the van seem to be worth it. We'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this topic, particularly those who have moved from caravan to motorhome/van - how did it suit you?

We'd like to have as much freedom as possible, which will need to include the ability to drive on single track roads comfortably and generally be able to get to places we can't towing our caravan. Given the extra space, are there practical disadvantages with a compact motorhome, over a 5.99/6.36m van conversion?

We'd also be interested in specific brands/models that we should be looking at. So far we think the following are interesting:

Thanks John & Cassie
We've got the Elddis Accordo 105, bought it from new 7 years ago. Good van and the interior quality and layout is spot on. What lets it down is the chimpanzees that build them. We've had missing sealant underneath round the wheel arches and waste pipe fittings upside down so far. But overall we'd buy again, at £10k cheaper than the similar autotrail it's a no brainer 👍

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We have a 6.4 slim A class Carthago and we love it. You get so much more space in an A Class and a coach built, than you do in a van conversion.

It pains me to say it but I wouldn't buy British.
Another vote for Carthago Compactline A Class, narrower than most Coachbuilts but more space and easier to drive. I find judging width and spaces far more intuitive driving an A Class or Van Conversion because you are not sitting in a narrow cab with greater width behind. Width is more important than length if you want to get to out of the way places.

Sadly must agree about UK built bit as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Hi,

Thanks John & Cassie
Doing the same. On point of ordering a Rapido Dreamer Living Van after much research. Rear lounge makes to double which can be left up as a permanent double with storeage under if you wish, plus a front lounge with pull down double over when required. Nearest we have seen to an A class in a PVC. Upgrade to Maxi chassis for increased payload.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Hi,

Thanks John & Cassie
We did the same last year. Changed from years of towing to a large C class which we love. Unfortunately illness for me has forced us to look again. We need something that Mrs Norfolk would be happy driving, which means we have had to look at PVC’s. It took a lot of research but we think that we have found the ideal compromise of C class space and PVC size. We take delivery of an Autosleeper Kingham next month. Fixed French bed, comfy sofa and decent size shower. It’s on the longer Fiat chassis (6.36 mtrs) with the auto gearbox. Would we go back to a caravan. Never. Should have done this years ago.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We bought the Burstner Ixeo Time IT 590 Sovereign some 16 weeks ago. The 5.99m body could have been shorter if Burstner had chosen a snappier name ... It's technically a 4 berth, but in practice a 2 berth with enough day seating for 5 or 6 adults, and a drop down transverse bed. Clever use of space and when the 3am WC visit occurs, it's 'one out, all out' and the one with the lesser need turns right into the kitchen area to wait his/her turn ... Wee bit of a 'Ladies Excuse Me' manouvre but perfectly comfortable, and the length of the van means that trips to supermarkets are a doddle. Brunhilde is my Avatar photo thingy!

Steve & Elaine

Upvote 1
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
6m PVC for us after decent sized caravans. Soon get used to compact space inside. Rear fixed bed means loads of storage.
Its great to be able to park on a street or car park and extend our weekends away, rather than having to hitch and tow straight home afterwards.

Upvote 0

Borisburgh

Free Member
Nov 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We went from a VW California to a Swift escape 622 with a U lounge which converts to a massive bed. I appreciate this may be a pain for some but it works for us. Great accommodation for a couple. To have a decent fridge, microwave, 3 gas hob, efficient heating, toilet and shower all in a 630 length is great.
Been to Orkney and Highlands - no issues on single track roads and shorter length does make finding parking spaces easier.

build quality is not great on the Swift compared to the VW - but a few running repairs have resolved these. No regrets in changing to a Motorhome. Fiat 130 bhp engine with 6 speed auto box has performed well and ‘relatively’ economical.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Length isn't really an issue unless you want to go for something really short like a Romahome. Width is the critical factor. For longer vehicles rear overhang and height can restrict where you go but for vehicles around 6m these should be too excessive.

I live in South Devon and own a 6m long Murvi PVC. I've taken it down numerous single track roads in both Devon and Cornwall and have done a few mountainous gravel tracks in Spain. :)

You can get slim A Class, such as the Cathargo ones but they are not too common if you are looking to buy second hand.
We research f

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
We went from a VW California to a Swift escape 622 with a U lounge which converts to a massive bed. I appreciate this may be a pain for some but it works for us. Great accommodation for a couple. To have a decent fridge, microwave, 3 gas hob, efficient heating, toilet and shower all in a 630 length is great.
Been to Orkney and Highlands - no issues on single track roads and shorter length does make finding parking spaces easier.

build quality is not great on the Swift compared to the VW - but a few running repairs have resolved these. No regrets in changing to a Motorhome. Fiat 130 bhp engine with 6 speed auto box has performed well and ‘relatively’ economical.
Research for two years with thoughts like yours, PVC won the day width and length is so important when driving. We have a 6m IH motorhome based on a VW Crafter ideal for two of us and can highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's all about compromise and individual preference but I find the ability to have my side (sliding) door open gives me a much better feel of openness and space than I ever had in a wider C-class.
Have a look at the WildAx range of van conversions https://wildaxmotorhomes.com/

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If you are looking at Accordo's, The Marquis dealer variants come with a few more goodies. I had a Marquis 125 before my present Carthago Compactline. Both slimline. The Marquis 125 has a reasonable size garage over the fixed bed and, IMHO, makes better use of the 6M length.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
We have just ordered the new Chausson X-550

We currently have an AS Symbol and are impressed with the much better use of space.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
On our second PVC for exactly the reason others have said, we can get to parts others just can’t. However, we had a nose around the Adria compact range and was very impressed with that. Ours is a 7m sprinter which we love but unless you are going seriously off the beaten track the Compact seems a really good compromise and worth a look.
E9468AAA-F805-4C2E-8E5A-030E42DA0B69.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
Hi,

Thanks John & Cassie
Elddis autoquest cv20 is my baby. 5.99, cheaper on insurance, tax, etc. Easy to drive and perfect for 2. 6'2" benches/single beds at back. Love it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back