Comfort Insurance - Very Strange Logic (1 Viewer)

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Checking around on-line for renewal this year, Comfort had a better price than my current insurer. So thought I'd go with them.

When they called back with their "courtesy call", the lady asked me "Are you out of the UK at the moment?". I was and said so*. "Ah then in that case we can't insure you."

"No No," I explained "We're just here on holiday, have a permanent UK address that you can see there on your system and you've phoned me on my UK mobile phone. We'll be heading home in a few weeks."

"Sorry" she says "Aviva just won't let you start a new policy unless you're physically in the UK when you first set it up."

Can't see the logic myself. I suppose it might be to try and exclude permanent expats but it seems a bit extreme to cut out holidaymakers.

As it turned out, I then searched further and found a better deal on Caravan Guard anyway, so they probably did me a favour!

* Wondering how she knew? I asked her and she said it was the ring tone; not the UK double beep but the single long tone in some countries in Europe.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The tone def changes when calling from abroad and to abroad so easy to tell but no idea why they wouldn't

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Once again an insurer makes "decisions" that defy logic. About time the industry was investigated for it in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Checking around on-line for renewal this year, Comfort had a better price than my current insurer. So thought I'd go with them.

When they called back with their "courtesy call", the lady asked me "Are you out of the UK at the moment?". I was and said so*. "Ah then in that case we can't insure you."

"No No," I explained "We're just here on holiday, have a permanent UK address that you can see there on your system and you've phoned me on my UK mobile phone. We'll be heading home in a few weeks."

"Sorry" she says "Aviva just won't let you start a new policy unless you're physically in the UK when you first set it up."

Can't see the logic myself. I suppose it might be to try and exclude permanent expats but it seems a bit extreme to cut out holidaymakers.

As it turned out, I then searched further and found a better deal on Caravan Guard anyway, so they probably did me a favour!

* Wondering how she knew? I asked her and she said it was the ring tone; not the UK double beep but the single long tone in some countries in Europe.

Was it you, or you and the MH out of the country that was the problem?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Once again an insurer makes "decisions" that defy logic. About time the industry was investigated for it in my opinion.
Actually it’s the over regulation and fear of fines that drives the culture that’s being complained of.

The red tape in the industry drove me out after 35 years, as much of it doesn’t serve the customers best interests or stop cowboys in the industry/criminal activities by consumers.

I suspect that one of Aviva rules is to only provide cover to people who are resident in the U.K.

So a call from abroad would trigger a flag, the question is asked, and the correct answer was given. But the person at Comfort only has the OP word for it, and if you were trying to secure cover although not a U.K. resident, you would say that, wouldn’t you?

So the call handler, to protect their job and ensure full compliance, gave the answer they did.

Had the caller been a non- U.K. resident, given the same answer, that answer been accepted by the call handler, and then found out, they would at the very least probably faced an internal enquiry.

Hence the answer they gave us entirely understandable, Comfort have lost a customer but are protected from any investigation by Aviva into the running of their agency - and possible loss of that agency -, any investigation by FCA - and possible fines etc.

So like I said, regulation is the problem as it doesn’t allow common sense to prevail any more!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Comfort are rubbish

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the same with travel insurance, you can't start a policy with a different company while outside the UK in my experience.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
As a 40 year plus insurance worker (now retired) I can really only think of NFU that really are different to other insurers, and they too can have their off days. They can be incredibly expensive as well. The rest of them are, to a greater or lesser extent it's true much of a muchness these days.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I’ve been with them for many years, and my renewal always comes up when I’m abroad ( hardly strange as I’m rarely in the U.K.!) and have always renewed no problem.

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
I’ve been with them for many years, and my renewal always comes up when I’m abroad ( hardly strange as I’m rarely in the U.K.!) and have always renewed no problem.

Ah, renewal's not the issue. She said you can't start a new policy unless in the UK.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Been very happy with Comfort and just renewed with them for the third year(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Why?

They're a private company. They're free to make any decisions they choose including refusing business they don't want.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
OK Mr @Chockswahay, so please give us the benefit of your wisdom. WHY do you say Comfort are rubbish?
Thanks.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
OK chaps, my apologies, I was perhaps a little over zestful in my 3 word post :cautious:

I should have said that I found Comfort unhelpful and inflexible regarding my own particular requirements. In complete contrast the NFU were an absolute delight to deal with and although a little more expensive they gave me everything I need.

Sorry to have caused any concern ☹️

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
OK chaps, my apologies, I was perhaps a little over zestful in my 3 word post :cautious:

I should have said that I found Comfort unhelpful and inflexible regarding my own particular requirements. In complete contrast the NFU were an absolute delight to deal with and although a little more expensive they gave me everything I need.

Sorry to have caused any concern ☹️

Well I have to agree about both Comfort and NFU. Comfort would not insure my new to me van as it did not have an alarm or tracker and would not entertain any sort of leeway to give me time to get one fitted. They lost my business!

NFU insured me without a problem and asked me to send in the alarm and tracker details once fitted.

Deleted User
Well I have to agree about both Comfort and NFU. Comfort would not insure my new to me van as it did not have an alarm or tracker and would not entertain any sort of leeway to give me time to get one fitted. They lost my business!

NFU insured me without a problem and asked me to send in the alarm and tracker details once fitted.
Indeed strange, I am with comfort and have no tracker nor alarm and they have been happy to insure me these last few years

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Indeed strange, I am with comfort and have no tracker nor alarm and they have been happy to insure me these last few years

As soon as I mentioned the cost/value to be insured they asked about the alarm and tracker and when I said it hadn't got one that was the end as far as they were concerned.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Am currently in France and yesterday received a phone call from Comfort reminding me that my insurance with them expires on the 3rd August.
I told her where I was and that I would renew it when I got back to the UK on Monday, she said that it was not a problem and that I could renew it then on the phone.

Deleted User
As soon as I mentioned the cost/value to be insured they asked about the alarm and tracker and when I said it hadn't got one that was the end as far as they were concerned.
Ha, yes, you do indeed have a very nice van, can see them wanting some form of tracker on that. I wonder what the cut off value is for not needing one, these are the little things you do not easily get to find out often making it difficult to compare.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I was ringing round for quotes and was asked by one broker what I paid for the MH(9 years ago). i said why is that relevant? His response was 'I will put down your estimated current value.'

Clever - so when a total loss claim would be put in they would try to discount today's value over 9 years.;)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I was ringing round for quotes and was asked by one broker what I paid for the MH(9 years ago). i said why is that relevant? His response was 'I will put down your estimated current value.'

Clever - so when a total loss claim would be put in they would try to discount today's value over 9 years.;)
Don’t understand your point.
They will pay out current value at time of claim. That is a matter of opinion,so any evidence of past value might be useful. They would make you an offer and then it would be up to you to show evidence that a higher figure should apply.
But I expect you know that already.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I have used comfort for the last 4 years ( since I changed from shed dragging ) and that’s partly due to the annual insurance review in What Motorhome. I’ve found them easy to deal with so far and the premium hardly changes , even when I upgraded to a brand new Autotrail at much higher value. Of course the proof of the pudding will be as usual , how they deal with a claim.
With regards to strange logic and Aviva , I had my car with them a few years ago with me as owner and father-in-law as a named driver. When I changed car and rang them to notify changes they turned round and said I had been insured illegally as the owner had to be the driver ! and if I questioned their response any further they would report me for Fraud . I vowed never to use Aviva again but it’s not that easy when the they keep appearing as underwriters all over the damned place !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back