Comfort Insurance - Very Strange Logic

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by xtab, Jul 27, 2018.

1. xtab

xtab Funster

Ratings:
    +31
    Checking around on-line for renewal this year, Comfort had a better price than my current insurer. So thought I'd go with them.

When they called back with their "courtesy call", the lady asked me "Are you out of the UK at the moment?". I was and said so*. "Ah then in that case we can't insure you."

"No No," I explained "We're just here on holiday, have a permanent UK address that you can see there on your system and you've phoned me on my UK mobile phone. We'll be heading home in a few weeks."

"Sorry" she says "Aviva just won't let you start a new policy unless you're physically in the UK when you first set it up."

Can't see the logic myself. I suppose it might be to try and exclude permanent expats but it seems a bit extreme to cut out holidaymakers.

As it turned out, I then searched further and found a better deal on Caravan Guard anyway, so they probably did me a favour!

* Wondering how she knew? I asked her and she said it was the ring tone; not the UK double beep but the single long tone in some countries in Europe.

• Informative Informative x 6
  2. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +645
    The tone def changes when calling from abroad and to abroad so easy to tell but no idea why they wouldn't

3. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,381
    Once again an insurer makes "decisions" that defy logic. About time the industry was investigated for it in my opinion.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +2,366
    Was it you, or you and the MH out of the country that was the problem?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,046
    Actually it’s the over regulation and fear of fines that drives the culture that’s being complained of.

The red tape in the industry drove me out after 35 years, as much of it doesn’t serve the customers best interests or stop cowboys in the industry/criminal activities by consumers.

I suspect that one of Aviva rules is to only provide cover to people who are resident in the U.K.

So a call from abroad would trigger a flag, the question is asked, and the correct answer was given. But the person at Comfort only has the OP word for it, and if you were trying to secure cover although not a U.K. resident, you would say that, wouldn’t you?

So the call handler, to protect their job and ensure full compliance, gave the answer they did.

Had the caller been a non- U.K. resident, given the same answer, that answer been accepted by the call handler, and then found out, they would at the very least probably faced an internal enquiry.

Hence the answer they gave us entirely understandable, Comfort have lost a customer but are protected from any investigation by Aviva into the running of their agency - and possible loss of that agency -, any investigation by FCA - and possible fines etc.

So like I said, regulation is the problem as it doesn’t allow common sense to prevail any more!

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ratings:
    +5,894
    Comfort are rubbish

7. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +26,426
    It's the same with travel insurance, you can't start a policy with a different company while outside the UK in my experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Reliant

Reliant Funster

Ratings:
    +920
    Damn, wish you had posted this a few years ago, I have mistakenly thought I was very happy with them for the last few years, will see if I can cancel, who do You recommend?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like it Like it x 2
  9. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Ratings:
    +6,313
    As a 40 year plus insurance worker (now retired) I can really only think of NFU that really are different to other insurers, and they too can have their off days. They can be incredibly expensive as well. The rest of them are, to a greater or lesser extent it's true much of a muchness these days.

• Like it Like it x 2
  10. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,158
    Bit of a sweeping comment there, as a retired commercial insurance broker with over 40 years experience I have found them to be very good.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +20,604
    Been with them for years premium hardly increases year on year and doesn't increase after a claim well impressed with them.

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. TCG

TCG Funster

Ratings:
    +440
    can you please explain your rationale for that statement, as i took our insurance with them yesterday

• Love it Love it x 1
  13. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,917
    I’ve been with them for many years, and my renewal always comes up when I’m abroad ( hardly strange as I’m rarely in the U.K.!) and have always renewed no problem.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. xtab

xtab Funster

Ratings:
    +31
    She didn't specifically say, and she did at some point ask if I was out of the country with the van, so I suspet maybe both, but not certain.

15. xtab

xtab Funster

Ratings:
    +31
    Ah, renewal's not the issue. She said you can't start a new policy unless in the UK.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. sueandjohn

sueandjohn Funster

Ratings:
    +439
    I had a terrible experience with Comfort. Automaton staff with no common sense

17. Hellski

Hellski Funster

Ratings:
    +2,992
    Been very happy with Comfort and just renewed with them for the third year(y)

18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,801
    Why?

They're a private company. They're free to make any decisions they choose including refusing business they don't want.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Podney

Podney Funster

Ratings:
    +3,167
    OK Mr @Chockswahay, so please give us the benefit of your wisdom. WHY do you say Comfort are rubbish?
    Thanks.

20. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ratings:
    +5,894
    OK chaps, my apologies, I was perhaps a little over zestful in my 3 word post :cautious:

I should have said that I found Comfort unhelpful and inflexible regarding my own particular requirements. In complete contrast the NFU were an absolute delight to deal with and although a little more expensive they gave me everything I need.

Sorry to have caused any concern ☹️

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1