Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Received today.
Dear Sir/Madam,
With negotiations still continuing over the United Kingdom's exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, we want to provide (as best we can) an update on the potential impact on our customers, should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement. It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but customers should be aware of the potential implications in respect of motorhome insurance and travel in Europe.

As the United Kingdom is currently due to leave the European Union on 31st October 2019, any trip that ends before this date will not require a Green Card unless you are travelling to any of the following countries: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Morocco, Montenegro, Tunisia or Turkey. In the event of a “no deal” Brexit, customers travelling to Europe may need to take action for some types of cover, however we can only issue a Green Card 21 days before the start of your trip. You should therefore contact us at the appropriate time for us to issue you a Green Card. As of 27th September it is still unclear what the outcome of the ongoing Brexit negotiations will be. We will continue to monitor political developments and we are engaging with our underwriters/regulators, so we can minimise any regulatory or operational difficulties that might arise, and we are seeking to provide the service our customers expect whatever the Brexit outcome.

Why do customers need a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary minimum insurance cover. It certifies that the policyholder is suitably insured to drive abroad. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling, as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at a border without a physical Green Card, they may not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean for our customers?

At present, Comfort policies allow policyholders to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If you are planning a trip that is completed before the 31st October 2019 then there is no change.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by Comfort Insurance. Until more certainty is provided about the formal Brexit agreement on 31st October, the interim guidance is that you should contact us if you intend to drive abroad three weeks before travel, and we will issue and send the required document. We are not currently charging a fee to issue Green Cards. However, depending upon the outcome of Brexit negotiations and the stance of underwriters/regulators, there may be a charge after 31st October 2019. We will keep you updated with further information when there is more clarity regarding the long term implications of Brexit.

Will a UK driving licence be valid to drive in the EU after 31st October 2019?

While it is too soon to say, in the event of a “no deal” situation, the Department for Transport has indicated that you may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU. This would need to be shown in conjunction with a UK driving licence. The IDP is issued by the Government via Post Offices; Comfort Insurance cannot issue IDPs. It is important to note that there are different types of IDP, and this will depend on the country you will be driving in:
A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or
A 1968 Convention IDP covers all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland
Whatever the Brexit outcome, we will continue to update customers with further information and/or actions you may need to take as soon as we can.

Please note that a lot of the changes taking place will only apply in the event of a “no deal”. There are actions taking place to keep the pan-European Green Card which is already part of your insurance policy so an additional Green Card may not be required.

As this is a rapidly changing issue we will keep our customers informed of progress.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Been onto AIB, who said weeks ago when I enquired, they are not issuing green cards.
Now I contacted them again ad long distance touring starting monday, they cant seem to get one to me in time!
Not impressed.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Any idea how long the green card will last ie 3/6/9/12 months
Thanks Phil
I believe most, possibly all, insurers issue Green Card for period you request subject to policy restrictions on duration of overseas trips. Some offer free for first part of trip and then charge.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Any idea how long the green card will last ie 3/6/9/12 months
Thanks Phil
It lasts the same as your insurance policy ie up to a year.
When we were last leaving without a deal in March I had two from Comfort, one for the one expiring in April and a 12 month one with the new policy.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We are not currently charging a fee to issue Green Cards. However, depending upon the outcome of Brexit negotiations and the stance of underwriters/regulators, there may be a charge after 31st October 2019.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Safeguard have told me to call a couple of weeks before travelling and they will issue and post same day. No mention of charges.?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Expect changes ahead from all insurers with respect to the Green Card. Hopefully, they will all be the same and we will not get ripped off.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Rang Comfort on the Friday to request Green card it dropped through the letterbox the next morning. It lasts till your insurance expires, all hand written on a piece of greenish paper.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That’s strange. I’ve had emails from time to time. Suggest you contact them.

Thanks but as we're not intending to travel to Europe until next year won't bother contacting them until we decide to go. Hopefully things will be sorted out by then.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks but as we're not intending to travel to Europe until next year won't bother contacting them until we decide to go. Hopefully things will be sorted out by then.
Just occurred to me that they may be in your junk. Forgive me for stating what is probably the blindingly obvious.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
O
Comfort have been very good at issuing updates on this subject. Good service imo.
I second that a very professional company also thru claims procedure

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just insured with Comfort in July and have had a couple of e-mails from them including the one above.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My thinking is......... All the insurance company's are covering their arses and issuing green cards now that oddly enough are not currently required by the E.U. If they cover you beyond the 31st October then all well and good and if we get a deal by the 31st October which is accepted by our broken Parliament then the existing arrangements we have in place should continue for at least another 2 years. If we leave without a deal, I suspect it will be down to what ever disposition the E.U. places on UK drivers and their insurance companies and the insurance companies will then act accordingly. As a minimum, I suspect a third party Green Card will be issued. I cant see the insurance companies missing the opportunity to make some money out of it though. The real conundrum though, will be what happens to those who have already started their trips and touring in the E.U. ??????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back