Combined car and camper insurance? (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Does anyone on here combine car insurance with van insurance?

Both are due and obviously it always pays to shop around and consider various options. And at my age it is especially prudent as insurance is so costly, although prices are coming down slightly as I move slowly closer to the big 3 0.

Much to my horror moving from sunny Wales to rural England and taking one step down the career ladder (much less stressful job now) was enough for them to add more than £160 to my car insurance renewal!

Anyway...

My friend has told me he insures his car and van on one policy type called a "mini fleet" and saves himself a not unsubstantial number of folding beer tokens. I've been looking for that online and it only seems to be an option for people with businesses (so far as I can see anyway). Now he has a business, so perhaps that's how he's managed it. I don't have a business of my own. I wondered what people on here do. Car and van separate or together etc?

And as I understand it I can't use my no claims built up in the car for the van?

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Just tried that as car and motorhome policies both due. In the end it worked out much cheaper to do both individually with different companies.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I insured both the car and the van today, on one policy, with Adrian Flux. £900! Ouch. 🤕

I only saved about £75 by insuring them together, but on the plus side the van is insured properly as a conversion and includes the value of the conversion I am doing.

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
You could try LV. I have a car and mh on the same policy There is no NCD within the mh part of the cost...just a flat premium.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That sounds very expensive, what companies did you get quotes from for the van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
That sounds very expensive, what companies did you get quotes from for the van?

It’s probably more because of my age.

About £400 for the car (a Hyundai i20) is about what I expect to pay with 5 years no claims.

Plus £500 for the van then. That’s only £100 more than the car. And it’s a much bigger beast with a much bigger engine too. It’s also my first van so haven’t built up no claims for that. But apparently the car no claims helps.

I’m only 27. That’s probably why it sounds more expensive than most people’s.

It’s my own fault for being a youthful hooligan. :wink:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Jack, depending how you do it, your car and van ncd ARE transferable to the other but you have to build up the ncd separately if you keep the two vehicles.

If you go with a company that is a set rate... eg. AIB, where you don't build up ncb's then some comanies will STILL allow you an introductory ncd as long as you have had no claims, should you change in the future. I did that.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I am with AF as well, just under 400 per year with 4 years no claim bonus added to the van. The catch is, is insured as a modified, you don’t have a log book that states motorhome on a PVC. It’s a modified van. Other insurers don’t wanna hear. Also, where you park, mileage and post code, makes a big difference. I had modified car insured with AF in the past and the service was excellent. No complains.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Yep definitely age, van insurance not bad then, I have a similar car a Kia Venga I pay less than £200.

I was pleasantly surprised. My parents pay similar to you. Apparently I can also drive another car, that's insured by someone else, and get third party insurance for myself included for their car. In the eyes of the insurance people I must be getting slightly more responsible as the big 3 / 0 approaches. 😱

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Jack, depending how you do it, your car and van ncd ARE transferable to the other but you have to build up the ncd separately if you keep the two vehicles.

If you go with a company that is a set rate... eg. AIB, where you don't build up ncb's then some comanies will STILL allow you an introductory ncd as long as you have had no claims, should you change in the future. I did that.

Something to think about for next year, if I still have the car by then. Only keeping the car because the van will not fit onto the pub car park where I work!

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
With regards driving other people cars on 3rd party, this often excludes vehicles owned by family members, be careful.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It’s probably more because of my age.

About £400 for the car (a Hyundai i20) is about what I expect to pay with 5 years no claims.

Plus £500 for the van then. That’s only £100 more than the car. And it’s a much bigger beast with a much bigger engine too. It’s also my first van so haven’t built up no claims for that. But apparently the car no claims helps.

I’m only 27. That’s probably why it sounds more expensive than most people’s.

It’s my own fault for being a youthful hooligan. :wink:
Motorhomes in general are cheaper to insure than cars. That is unless you require business cover.
NFU local branches and AIB are both very competitive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back