Colmar France to Bari Italy route? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Any suggestions for a good route from Colmar France to Bari Italy? We have 12 days to get there so plenty of time. We’d prefer toll free (or low cost). Thanks Dawn and Martin

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Some weeks ago, I went from Bologna to Ravenna to Fano (business). My trip was by train and it followed the coast but it looks really nice with plenty of places to stop. Not a lot of help but you never know. P.S. finally drank the wine..... delicious (y) thanks

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’d suggest using the toll roads in Italy irrespective of cost as the free roads can be in terrible shape.
Toll costs in Italy are relatively low and cheaper than going to the chiropractor when you get home.

Safe travels!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I’d suggest using the toll roads in Italy irrespective of cost as the free roads can be in terrible shape.
Toll costs in Italy are relatively low and cheaper than going to the chiropractor when you get home.

Safe travels!
Having just done that trip I agree.
Stick to the toll roads as much as possible.
We used park4night to find overnight spots but struggled to find many that were as nice as those in France. The ones right on the coast mainly seemed to be large tarmac or concrete car parks and those inland are often used as "night time meeting places" according to comments.
When you get through Bari and on the road which leads to the port, take the first entrance to the port that you see. There are no more further along the road. You need to drive right through the port to the other end to get to the terminal for Greece. There's a blue building, which doubles as a cruise terminal, where you need to take passports and collect paperwork, tickets etc. Then you'll be guided round to where the artic trailers etc are parked.
Do arrive earlier than the 2 hrs minimum time as that's when they start boarding and you need to leave enough time to get lost in Bari :)whistle:) and find the blue building.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want to avoid Switzerland head to Grenoble then east to Briancon and cross over into Italy by the Montgenèvre pass, which has an aire though it isn't the cheapest. Then head towards Turin and Bologna and from there south either inland via Florence or down the east coast motorway.

As Robert suggests I wouldn't travel long distances in Italy without using the motorways. I've tried it. :)

This is the Google Maps direct route:

Screenshot_20190504-073642.png

Switzerland is a wonderful place but you will probably need to buy a vignette. Under 3,500kg you can get away without one if you avoid the motorways. I've done this too but wouldn't recommend it, the satnav will need to take you down some very narrow roads. :)

This is my suggestion - but Google says it is nearly 500km further - perhaps the Switzerland option is better. Check for snow on the passes. :)

Screenshot_20190504-073759.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all, we’ve been into Switzerland before and bought the vignette but we’ve also gone via the Mont Blanc tunnel, we seem to remember that being expensive.
Will use Italian tolls too.

It’s freezing in Colmar today!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Thanks all, we’ve been into Switzerland before and bought the vignette but we’ve also gone via the Mont Blanc tunnel, we seem to remember that being expensive.
Will use Italian tolls too.

It’s freezing in Colmar today!
We went through the Mont Blanc tunnel and used their website to check if it and connecting roads were open (http://www.tunnelmb.net) after the Sat nav decided everything was shut and wanted to route us through Lausanne.
It'll also tell you how much you will pay to go through. We're class 2 and from (my very rubbish) memory it was around €70.
I think they also have a live time webcam on the website, I can't remember if it was on there or somewhere else I found it.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We’ve gone via Switzerland, heading for Florence, but will probably stay over night here first. We remember paying 10 Swiss francs for 4 bread rolls once so we are well stocked up with French supplies!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I’ll update a pic of our route when next connected.

Vignette was 40 dip dabs

2DE4299A-FE2B-43EF-8EA8-F62A5806F3D3.jpeg

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I've always gone through Switzerland, entering via Basle then follow the A2 via San Gottard tunnel into Italy at Como.
Good cheap stopover at Willisau (5chf) in Switzerland, also a free one at Saronno on the outskirts of Milan and more near the A1/A14 down via Bologna, Ancona but that's as far as we go as we usually get on the boat there.
If youre not in a rush take a dogleg into San Marino, worth a visit, free sosta near the funicular.

Pete

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We’ve gone via Switzerland, heading for Florence, but will probably stay over night here first. We remember paying 10 Swiss francs for 4 bread rolls once so we are well stocked up with French supplies!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I’ll update a pic of our route when next connected.

Vignette was 40 dip dabs

View attachment 301137
How did you get away with just a vignette for Switzerland?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Mont Blanc tunnel 70€ each way plus French motorway tolls to get there. Going through Switzerland about 30€ for year's pass (over 3.5t) that will cover both ways, no tolls and 500 miles less. I know which way I would go.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Just got back italy to Colmar went through switzerland stayed at interlarken for 3 nights eating out cost a lot. food in supermarket not to bad and with free tourist card free bus to town.
Nice Break

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back