Cleaning grey water tank and pipes (1 Viewer)

Jocko

Free Member
Jan 24, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 1998
Hello.

(I imagine this post had already been published but I can't find any answers)

The grey tank and pipes are smelling. I've flushed it through with fresh water but it needs a proper clean through.

I've bought some vinegar and bicarbonate of soda as I've read that can work. Does anyone know the ratio to use of this as has it worked for them?

Or, does anybody have any other suggestions please that'll do the job?

Thanks
Jocko

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I’ve heard people put cheap coke in the tanks and go for a drive.
We use Milton every now and then in ours .

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When we bought the PVC we had, the grey waste was very slow to empty and needed a stick poked up the drain down pipe on occasions.
I tried the cheap coke method and it worked well. I poured in 8 litres of cheap Aldi coke and went for a 20 mile drive around our local bumpy and twisty country lanes and this is what I got out of the grey tank when I drained the coke out.

1614411339442.png

1614411353237.png

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I put a good dose of bio washing powder/liquid down the plug holes now and then and that seems to work ok. The other thing to do is to keep the plugs in while traveling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Last time we did ours we used a Dish washing machine cleaner & water, put it into tank before we went away and let it go after a long drive. Got quite a lot of ’stuff‘ out of tank!

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are lucky that on the morelo it has an attachment that you connect to a hosepipe which allows you to rinse out the black or grey tank. We still throw a bit of Milton down every now and again though.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
On our way home from Spain every morning I put a dissolved dishwasher tab down the plug hole with a gallon of hot water, at the first nights stop the water is gharstly with lumps and everything coming out 🤮 but by night 3 it's clean 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Despite the dozens of posts a out using coke and other things we have found the only suff that really works is the Thetford waste tank cleaner but I see they have changed the product now and market a duo tank cleaner.
Next best thing is bio washing liquid.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
When we bought the PVC we had, the grey waste was very slow to empty and needed a stick poked up the drain down pipe on occasions.
I tried the cheap coke method and it worked well. I poured in 8 litres of cheap Aldi coke and went for a 20 mile drive around our local bumpy and twisty country lanes and this is what I got out of the grey tank when I drained the coke out.

View attachment 469372

View attachment 469373
That's full of FOGS, fat oils and grease. The stuff no one I've ever met puts down the drain... Nearly 30 years a drains-man.

Bio liquid here.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's full of FOGS, fat oils and grease. The stuff no one I've ever met puts down the drain... Nearly 30 years a drains-man.

Bio liquid here.
We don't, but obviously the previous owner had, but it proves that cheap coke works does it not. (y) :giggle:

OP
OP
J

Jocko

Free Member
Jan 24, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 1998
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and experiences. Now for my dumb input. When people mention bio washing liquid, do they mean washing up liquid or clothes washing detergent? Next dumb question from me is, Is all laundry detergent biological except obviously those stating non bio as I've recently started using the cheaper laundry detergent for my toilet cassette but It doesn't state bio on the front, I'm just presuming it's bio.

Thanks again

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and experiences. Now for my dumb input. When people mention bio washing liquid, do they mean washing up liquid or clothes washing detergent? Next dumb question from me is, Is all laundry detergent biological except obviously those stating non bio as I've recently started using the cheaper laundry detergent for my toilet cassette but It doesn't state bio on the front, I'm just presuming it's bio.

Thanks again
Yes laundry bio for both

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Thanks again
The laundry one, Bio normally in green bottle or bottles with green tops.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Bio clothes washing liquid, the cheap Aldi or Lidl one

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I use puriclean powder for sanitising the fresh water tank, twice a year, i drain it into the grey water tank via the taps till full, drive for 20 mins, leave for 24hrs and drain, you would be surprised what comes out, never had any smells at all.
2 tanks cleaned for the price of one (y)

used to use milton years ago, with the same method, but be aware its corrosive for the boiler, guess how i know:crying1:

Aug 31, 2019
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur.
Exp
Since 2019
I've always thought of the sticky residue the coke leaves if not cleaned away properly, so this just makes me think of the same residue in the pipes and tank. For me this residue provides a place for unwanted bacteria to get a hold and multiply, leading to a smell.
I used puriclean for the fresh and the grey tank, the fresh was fine but the grey had a sulphite type of smell after about 2 months, so I too am looking for ideas for the grey tank.

Looking forward to being let out in my moho again.

Dave

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We had this problem a couple of summers ago, solved with Elsan Tank Fresh and now use what’s left to put a glug down every now and again...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back